Stupid question

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.

Stupid question

Postby VinnieD on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:46 am

I was wondering. What is LB's costume made of? Is it standard issue super hero spandex, metal armor, or just regular old polycotton cloth tailored to be form fitting?

It comes up in the issue of wondering how it would look in the classic super hero "Battle damage" image.
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:16 am

It's actually not a stupid question and I've been wondering if someone was going to ask me. ^_~

Lightbringer, despite being able to fly and shoot light beams and all, is not exactly a well-sculpted human being. As such, in addition to the fact that since he lives in Minnesota, it can get pretty cold, he decided to forgo spandex in the costume, opting instead for modified sweatpants/sweatshirt (so probably 90% cotton, 10% polyester). The mask is a strip of cloth that's been heavily starched and conformed to fit his face (possibly with a transparent elastic to wrap around his head, I haven't decided yet how the mask stays on) along with the lenses of sunglasses. The boots are slightly-modified snowboarding boots and the gloves are standard cheap costume shop elbow-length gloves. While I haven't decided on an exacty metal for the gauntlets, it is something that was meltable and forgable and something that could be found in a scrapyard. I also haven't made a decision about what the cape is made out of, but I'd assume something fairly light, possibly silk, but I don't discount it being made out of a blanket made with slightly heavier materials.

Subsequently, this does unfortunately leave the outfit susceptible to damage provided its hit, cut, etc. in the righ way.

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby VinnieD on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:18 pm

Alluminum might be a good choice. It has about the right color to match his gauntlets and it's light weight. However I'm not sure how it melts. I've always heard that it burns before it will liquefy.

For the cape. Depending on how many layers it is and the weave, plain old cotton is pretty light weight.
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Postby Wandering Observer on Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:39 pm

Interesting; I always imagined the suit to be more canvas.

Anyways, I also had a question, albiet on an unrelated matter.

When searching for the lightbringer on the web, from google or another browser, I find that the link to the comic brings me to the store. While this could be interesting marketing, the lack of a homepage button means that I need to go to the new comic via the archives.

Is the link to the store intentional? If not, is there a way that the search link could be modified? In any case, is there a Home, or Mainpage button that I am missing? If not, is it possible to create one?
"Safe and sound in its shell, the precious pearl is the slave of the currents."
-IRIS
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:03 pm

I've considered putting a homepag button in but just haven't seen an overriding need for it. And no, the fact that Google links through the store is not deliberate and I have no way of having Google change that. I'll once again reconsider putting a homepage button in due to people entering the site through other methods and not knowing how to access the main page (besides through the fanart section, but how would they know that?).

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Johndar on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:24 pm

you could do what I did and make the title image the home page link.

More on topic, I've been pondering how lightbringer can see at night wearing sunglasses. Does it have something do do with his powers?
Beware the Dangerchair
Johndar
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:28 pm

...A wizard did it.

Actually, I'm more inclined to note the fact that since Pharos City is a major metropolitan city, it's still pretty bright for several hours after dark due to the nightlife.

If that doesn't cover it for you, as long as light enters his eyes in some capacity, he's still capable of seeing things in a fairly clear manner.

Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wandering Observer on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:28 pm

Hey, there's going to be a "home" button now! I'm rather pleased with this information. My apologies for not finishing my cover in a more timely manner. I wish the trade paperback could have worked out better. If you don't mind, I'd like to see some of your incompleted artwork, such as your sketches and inkings. I might be able to give you a few pointers her and there.
-IRIS
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:10 pm

http://forums.comicgenesis.com/viewtopic.php?t=79457

Right there's where you can see my arguments with proportions, albeit there is a more recent pic that I haven't uploaded there (don't want to until it's finished) that I showed to a better artist than me and she said it definitely had significan't improvement.

Well, I still plan on going ahead with a few graphic novels here and there - The Mighty, Lightbringer Unlimited, and a story that explains where Lightbringer's powers (and other superheroes that will appear) come from (I finally thought of a backstory! ^_~) once my artistry improves (or when I find someone else much better than me who's interested).

Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wandering Observer on Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:02 pm

interesting...

We really should get together and chat again soon; We haven't done that enough as of late, and I'd like to see you draw in person.
-IRIS
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Re: Stupid question

Postby Nude0007 on Thu May 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Common misconception. Superheroes DO NOT WEAR SPANDEX !!! Spandex is ok for dancing, but it is far to stretchy, easily cut or torn, burns extremely well (melts), and provides no protection against blows or the weather. It also wears out rather quickly when rubbing together. No, superheroes never use it and never will, unless they have a force field. Artists tend to draw heroes in ultra-tight suits, but in reality they would wear something that protects them to some degree. Cotton at least. Spandex is a vicious, evil rumor used to poke fun at our heroes. Forget it!
Nude0007

Return to Lightbringer