What would YOU have done?

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.

What would YOU have done?

Postby Linkara on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:57 am

As we approach the end of Issue 5, we've seen a lot of things happen in the comic. Lightbringer's taken on two supervillains, brought down a criminal empire by punching someone through a window, and made a name for himself in Pharos City and even the world as the very first superhero. Hannah has been brought on board as his primary confidante and we've made more than one allusion to Watchmen. I've created a hero who has a secret identity, has a supporting cast, and has been established in a fictional city, something not seen of in comics for many a year.

But I, being an avid fan of alternate universes, love to see the road not traveled. Seeing as many fans here have expressed dissatisfaction with certain things while praising other things, I'd love to know how they would have done things. What would you have written when Lightbringer confronted the Smiling Man? What would you see as Lightbringer's primary philosophical angle? Would he even have one at all? Would he be the world's first superhero? Does his costume need tweaking? Should Hannah have not found out the secret? Should Michelle and Carter give in to the passion, sweep that computer off the desk, and give in to the love that the fanbois know is there?

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby VinnieD on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:54 am

Not necessarily what I'd write but I'd be interested in a few "what if" scenarios.

What if LB wasn't so level headed? If he tended to let his emotions get the better of him?

For instance, instead of Punching Gen. out of a window, what if he'd been so disgusted and angry that he'd done him in superman alt universe style. Referring to a certain Justice League (animated) episode in which Supes fed up with Luthor finally melted his head off.

By the time he got to dealing with Gentleman the difference between them, then would not be so clear.
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Postby Wandering Observer on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:09 am

I must admit that my own philosophy deviates a bit from that which is exposed in the comic, and as such I would probably have changed the ideological message a bit, personally. Going into detail about these differences won't help the comic, so I'll focus on content from a the standpoint of a more compliant observer.

Since the comic is meant to be a study of superheroes in general, I think I would delve into what that means a bit more, for starters. For example, instead of delving into the morality of pacifism, I think it would be more exiting to see what one's perspective on pacifism would be due to super powers. Pacifism advocates open, sincere civil disobediance, subjecting oneself to the consequences for a cause, even to the point of death. Since a superhero has larger than life abilities, how would Carter reconcile the overt, media based pacifism with the covert, direct action of the superhero life? The philosophies are almost contradictory, and it would be interesting to see if Carter could reconcile the two philosophies. If not, how would the loss of his heritage and the traditional values of his upbringing affect him psychologically?

Secondly, it would be interesting to delve more deeply in how one's humanity changes with superhuman status, or what defines humanity in any case.

I'd also go into further detail about the relationship between superheroes and the law, since superheroes mainly act as vigilantes. It would be an interesting philosophical jumping off point to talk about the relationship between morality and law.

The case study element need not apply soley to superheroes; analyzing supervillains would be good as well. It would be interesting to compare/ contrast the larger-than-life foes that lightbringer faces with more realistic faces of evil, such as Osama Bin Laden, Pol Pot and Adolf Hitler. Analyzing the philosophical implications of the concept of evil itself would also be fun to delve into.

Branching off of evil, it would be interesting to discuss the hero archetypes, both physically and mentally, that exist within the comic universe, and to see if they would hold up under real world conditions.

Finally, If it were me making the comic, I think I would analyze the difference between what the limitations to humanity are. Afterall, Lightbringer symbolically represents purity in many ways, and yet he is still a man. It would be interesting to talk about whether or not Lightbringer does philosophically exist separately from Carter, or if the two are inherently related. If the Lightbringer does not have the same role as normal humans, or if he doesn't have to function in the same manner of society, is he still human? Can Carter live up to the expectaions everyone has of a superhuman, even if he is still more or less human as human as most poeple?

A few questions to think about, I guess. In short, if it were me, I'd definitely take the case study to an extreme.
"Safe and sound in its shell, the precious pearl is the slave of the currents."
-IRIS
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:44 pm

Wandering Observer wrote:I'd also go into further detail about the relationship between superheroes and the law, since superheroes mainly act as vigilantes. It would be an interesting philosophical jumping off point to talk about the relationship between morality and law.

*CoughIssue13Cough* ^_~

Wandering Observer wrote:The case study element need not apply soley to superheroes; analyzing supervillains would be good as well. It would be interesting to compare/ contrast the larger-than-life foes that lightbringer faces with more realistic faces of evil, such as Osama Bin Laden, Pol Pot and Adolf Hitler. Analyzing the philosophical implications of the concept of evil itself would also be fun to delve into.

I admit, I hadn't thought of that and it's certainly something I'll need to dive into.

Wandering Observer wrote:Branching off of evil, it would be interesting to discuss the hero archetypes, both physically and mentally, that exist within the comic universe, and to see if they would hold up under real world conditions.

Something that I've been trying to do with limited success. ^_~

I will say that mentally he has not fully resolved himself of his parents' teachings and we'll be seeing elements of it in both Issues 6 and 7.

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wandering Observer on Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:53 am

sounds good. I look foreward to seeing the things you say are to come.
-IRIS
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Postby Sun tzu on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:54 am

I would have made the Gentleman arc a bit longer. Right now, it ends with a serious "what the heck was that about?" feeling. To some extent, so did the Smiling Man arc, but then, it felt normal. Here, it felt rushed...In my opinion, at least.
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:46 pm

Yep, you called right on that one Sun Tzu. In all honesty, the issue did fall short of the normal Issue length at 19 pages (20 pages is normal issue length), so I'm going to try to rectify that with the Gentleman's character page, which will be explaining his history and his purpose (as well as a future issue which will bring him back).

Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wandering Observer on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:58 pm

the character page could be interesting...

by the way, I found the graffiti that mysteriously appeared at the end of the smiling man issue to be a bit confusing. Was there any significance to that that we were supposed to take away from it, other than it was a piece of graffiti appearing?
-IRIS
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:58 pm

It's a hinting, a little detail that'll be featured until the Smiling Man's next appearance.

Cast page has been updated with the Gentleman's new biographical information. ^_~

Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Steltek on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:02 am

I think I might have drawn out the appearance of the Smiling Man a little more. He does seem to be an ultravillain, beyond the rank-and-file supervillains Lightbringer generally goes up again. I feel this kind of villain deserves a bit more buildup.

So, I guess I'd say that the intro of the Smiling Man felt a little abrupt, I would have liked to see that character develop in the shadows a little more before being thrust into a confrontation with Lightbringer.
Steltek
Regular Poster

Return to Lightbringer