How NOT to be a superhero

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.

How NOT to be a superhero

Postby Sun tzu on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:00 am

Interesting take...But I couldn't help but notice that, when Lightbringer lists the failings of each of the Watchmen, he doesn't mention Nite Owl.
Personally, I thought Nite Owl (I and II) was the closest thing to a real hero the book had. For all of Dreiberg's infeeriority complex, he was still a good guy trying to do the right thing without completely losing it...
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:19 am

Like I said in the comments, I haven't forgotten Nite-Owl. We'll get back to him later on in the issue. ^_~

And I totally agree with you on your take of Nite-Owl. Despite the fact that I disagree with his decision to keep the secret at the end, I still felt he was more of an honest-to-God superhero than the other characters. I'm glad he got the girl in the end and reclaimed his confidence. While it was Rorschach's decision that I based the third issue on, I don't see him as a superhero. He's paranoid, judgmental, and a murderer. Still, he has just great moments. ^_^

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby Perk_daddy on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:04 am

It's been so long since I read Watchmen, but I still remember when Rorschach, in prison, stuck that guy's head in the fryer (I think that's what happened) and screamed something like "You all don't get it! I'm not trapped in here with you! You're trapped in here with me!"

That was definitely quite a moment.
ImageImage
Perk_daddy
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:22 am

Indeedy. For me, it was how he responded to the bill that banned vigilantism. He found a serial rapist, killed him, then strung his body in front of police headquarters with a note pinned to him that said, "NEVER!"

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sun tzu on Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:19 pm

Linkara wrote:Like I said in the comments, I haven't forgotten Nite-Owl. We'll get back to him later on in the issue. ^_~

And I totally agree with you on your take of Nite-Owl. Despite the fact that I disagree with his decision to keep the secret at the end, I still felt he was more of an honest-to-God superhero than the other characters.

I, personally, really don't hold that final decision against him. If he revealed to the world what had happened, well, what then? New York would still be in ruins, and nuclear war would be inches away, with the situation they had.
I usually favor revealing the truth - even an ungly truth. But Watchmen insisted on the fact that Ozymandias's deception was the only thing standing between his Earth and mutual destruction.
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:03 pm

Agreed, I don't hold it against him because from his perception they really had no other choice. Still, I do disagree with the choice and I don't believe that Ozymandias' plan was the only thing standing in the way of nuclear armageddon. As I mentioned, I don't believe that you can predict such a thing was going to happen (sorry David Hume. ^_~).

Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Return to Lightbringer