Ghosts of Iscariot Past

For questions about, comments on, and other assorted discussion of all things Shine-y.

Re: Ghosts of Iscariot Past

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 pm

Huh, I wonder how he gets that scar?

Anyway, this at least would explain why Maxwell's telling the story to Timothy. I'm thinking that he wants to ensure two things here. 1) If he does die, which he might be on the lookout for now if he had any sense whatsoever (doubtful), he wants to make sure that somebody knows to get him a "proper" grave and gravestone. Maxwell is looking out for his legacy by telling him this. 2) He's going to warn Timothy not to join with the enemy. Not that he would ever actually be likely to do that. But making peace with people who shouldn't be enemies, that I could see him doing if he got into a position of power. He's already shown he's willing to work with a not-a-witch-I-swear to protect people from others within his organization after all.
"I refuse to have a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent."
"Ah, but I am a master of unarmed combat!"
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Postby yamiangie on Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:34 am

so I'm the only one that thinks that 4th person is Heinkel then.
yamiangie
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:02 am

yamiangie wrote:so I'm the only one that thinks that 4th person is Heinkel then.

Nope. I think so, too, since canonically she's the only Iscariot who survives the London fight (albeit scarred).

I think Tim's older design is based on the new guy who fences with Integra in the last chapter? I'd have to check to compare.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby SailorPtah on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:30 am

BigKwell wrote:BTW (not that I'm nitpicking, Erin) - Isn't Seras' nebulous arm the LEFT one!?!

She's a shapeshifter, darnit! She can switch!

Xuanwu wrote:I think so, too, since canonically she's the only Iscariot who survives the London fight (albeit scarred).

Right in one. (Thus the angle: I didn't want to show exactly how Heinkel has ended up scarred.)

Chaos Priest wrote:But making peace with people who shouldn't be enemies, that I could see him doing if he got into a position of power. He's already shown he's willing to work with a not-a-witch-I-swear to protect people from others within his organization after all.

Good call, sir. Very good call :D
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kazokuhouou on Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:44 pm

That actually gives me a bad feeling. Knowing what Enrico does now, if it all starts going wrong, would he actually kill Timothy? I mean, in his eyes, it'd be a mercy kill, better dead than working with the enemy. But that would actually send him over the Moral Event Horizon in our eyes, much like [[spoilers]] what happened when we found that Walter had been betraying Hellsing from the start.

I suddenly worry for Timothy.
Kazokuhouou
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:16 pm

Actually, Enrico would probably put Tim on the front lines with Heinkel and Yumiko, figuring that if he had to deal with Alucard and see the horrors of war he might be less inclined to buddy up to Hellsing later. (Assuming his original intent was to have Tim be the kid who stays behind, where he'd end up showing Enrico those photos of the Eagle moving as the Vatican's forces mobilized.) Killing him outright would be less instructive and he risks losing a person who remembers him, which he considers more important. So "making sure he learns a proper lesson" is more likely than "you betrayed Iscariot now die" in this case.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kazokuhouou on Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:58 pm

Which might actually backfire, Xuan, once he sees the atrocities Iscariot undertakes is no better than Hellsing's or Millenium's.
Kazokuhouou
Regular Poster

Postby BigKwell on Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:03 pm

Kazokuhouou wrote:Which might actually backfire, Xuan, once he sees the atrocities Iscariot undertakes is no better than Hellsing's or Millenium's.

Good point. If this happens, it might change Timothy's opinion of Maxwell.
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

"When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Postby yamiangie on Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:10 pm

I know that Maxwell was crazy at this point of the actual story but you all really think he'd try to get Timothy killed? The whole idea of doing this holiday classic is to get it so he doesn't go mad with power and have it lead to his death.
yamiangie
Regular Poster

Postby Kazokuhouou on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:15 pm

If someone's missed the point of a visit from a ghost before, they can do it again.

Speaking of...

*puts on Blackadder's Christmas Carol*
Kazokuhouou
Regular Poster

Postby BigKwell on Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:34 pm

(spoilers within)

At least Maxwell can take heart he doesn't see Alucard around, as he was, at the time... er... indisposed!
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Postby Alisa makora on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:03 am

Chaos Priest wrote:Huh, I wonder how he gets that scar?

thats something im wondering as well. i never paid to close attention to the chaos of the final fight, did tim show up in battle?

by the way. nice hymmnos sig. really wanna try that game (ar tonelico)
Alisa makora

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:38 am

Alisa makora wrote:
Chaos Priest wrote:Huh, I wonder how he gets that scar?

thats something im wondering as well. i never paid to close attention to the chaos of the final fight, did tim show up in battle?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Timothy is an original character. Of course, we haven't seen how the war in Shine is going to go down yet so it's entirely possible he acquires it then.

by the way. nice hymmnos sig. really wanna try that game (ar tonelico)

Holy crap, you actually recognize that?! :o Of course, I suppose I can't really talk about nerdiness as that's my sig your talking about. But yeah, first game was pretty good, and the second game was amazing. Just... just make sure that when you play nobody's watching you. They might get the wrong idea... :oops:
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Postby SailorPtah on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:03 am

Chaos Priest wrote:I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Timothy is an original character. Of course, we haven't seen how the war in Shine is going to go down yet so it's entirely possible he acquires it then.

Yes, Timothy's an OC. There's a character in the final chapter of Hellsing whom I've decided is Timothy's future form; but I'm pretty sure that was the first time he appeared.
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby SailorPtah on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Slightly off-topic (but, hey, it's my forum, right?):

This link may or may not be a torrent, which may or may not contain all the manga chapters of Hellsing, all three Crossfire stories, the full uncensored Coyote, and all five existing chapters of The Dawn.

(The numbering on these has been adjusted for maximum clarity, i.e. to reflect the numbering in the original YKO releases as well as the final tankoubon chaptering. If you download, please keep seeding!)
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby BigKwell on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:29 pm

(reads latest strip)

Timothy - you SHOULD be scared!
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:33 pm

I think Timothy has finally realized that his boss is a psychopath.

I like that dramatic flapping of the vestments by the way. Very nice.
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Postby Aten_ra on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:46 pm

Kazokuhouou wrote:But that would actually send him over the Moral Event Horizon in our eyes, much like [[spoilers]] what happened when we found that ----- had been ------- from the start.

Bzuh??? *head asplode*

Of all the conceivable plot twists, I did NOT see that one coming. *has seen only the original series and Ultimate OVA #1*
Aten_ra

Postby Alisa makora on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:29 pm

SailorPtah wrote:
Chaos Priest wrote:I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Timothy is an original character. Of course, we haven't seen how the war in Shine is going to go down yet so it's entirely possible he acquires it then.

Yes, Timothy's an OC. There's a character in the final chapter of Hellsing whom I've decided is Timothy's future form; but I'm pretty sure that was the first time he appeared.

really?! damn, its been AGES since i read it, so i thought he WAS an actual character. your comic has offically meshed with my mental hellsing plotline! X.X damn your good.

poor timothy, i think he's realizing that maxwell isnt just conceited, he's off the deep end.

and chaos priest: yeah, i heard it has a few shoujo-ai moments, but the idea of a music based world and magic system is VERY interesting. not to mention the hymmnos language, from what i hear, is very emotive and complex. tempted to go looking for the game after i get off my ".hack" game spree.
Alisa makora

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:30 pm

Those of you not interested in reading a video game discussion can just go ahead and skip past this rather lengthy post.

It's not the shojo-ai moments I'm talking about. Yeah, it has hints of those, but that's not the... problematic part. The problem lies in how the writers fit as much innuendo and sexual themes overall into it as possible without actually making it a hentai game, and then the sequel managed to get even closer. That's not to say there's any actual sex scenes or nudity in there, both games managed to keep what in the US was a "T" rating, it's just that it has everything short of that.

In the first game for example, "diving" into a Reyvateil's Cosmosphere (in other words, entering their mind) is symbolic of sex. So is inserting a crystal into a Reyvateil's body, something most of them need to have done every few months or so or they'll die. This lead to this rather infamous innuendo laden scene from the first game. That's hardly the only point where you can say stuff like "If you know what I mean :wink: " into the game either. As well, you power up your Reyvateils' magic in part by having them dress in costumes, some of which can get very risque. The second game takes it further, with not only the diving and insertion innuendo and the costumes, but you also level up the Reyvateils by having them take a bath together. Some of the bath salts you can use during that have interesting effects as well.

This isn't to say that games are nothing but perverse and not worth the time. While I just thought the first one was just OK, notable mainly for it's interesting setting and magic system, the aforementioned songs and Hymmnos, the second one was nothing short of excellent. It had a great story. It had interesting characters, not to mention a main character who as a nice change of pace was not a complete idiot. The battle system was vastly improved, though it takes a little getting used to. The setting was made even more interesting as you got to see a world that was on the brink of destruction, and presented as such. There are parts where you can literally see the end of their known world on either side of you, along with the knowledge that more land is falling every day. It has some of the best music I've ever heard in a video game. For example, the song I took my sig from.

It's just, ya know, reeeeeeeeally awkward to try and explain some scenes to somebody who might walk in.
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to And Shine Heaven Now