1, 2, 3, 4, I Declare a World War

For questions about, comments on, and other assorted discussion of all things Shine-y.

Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, I Declare a World War

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:26 pm

OK, I'm not really familiar with Utena so correct if I'm wrong here, but if I'm reading this correctly the only time Timothy has been comfortable with his gender identity is when he was possessed by the spirit of a girl who preferred to think of herself as the handsome and heroic prince. Is that... some kind of weird recursive transgender issue or something?

Oh, and Popemobile Helicopter is the best name for a vehicle ever.
"I refuse to have a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent."
"Ah, but I am a master of unarmed combat!"
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Postby Kazokuhouou on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:34 pm

Gee, Enrico, don't sound so eager.
Kazokuhouou
Regular Poster

Postby SailorPtah on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:12 am

Chaos Priest wrote:...the only time Timothy has been comfortable with his gender identity is when he was possessed by the spirit of a girl who preferred to think of herself as the handsome and heroic prince.

Sounds about right!

My hunch is that Timothy does still want to be a prince (he likes cute princess-type girls, after all). He just doesn't necessarily want to be boyish about it.

Chaos Priest wrote:Oh, and Popemobile Helicopter is the best name for a vehicle ever.

:D
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Xuanwu on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:30 am

D'awwww...Seras really liked Schroe. Seeing him betray her like that (and watching him get shot) must've stung. It's like Old Yeller. With a snuggly catboy.

With luck, Seras will accuse Major of corrupting him and resolve to kick his can. And then when the fighting's done she'll scoop Schroe back into her arms and firmly state that he's going to get a re-education to get that awful Nazi gunk out of his brain. I'd half expect Schroe to change sides just for the chance to nuzzle Seras's bosom yet again.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:50 am

SailorPtah wrote:My hunch is that Timothy does still want to be a prince (he likes cute princess-type girls, after all). He just doesn't necessarily want to be boyish about it.
Hunch? Um... shouldn't the author know these things?

Xuanwu wrote:D'awwww...Seras really liked Schroe. Seeing him betray her like that (and watching him get shot) must've stung. It's like Old Yeller. With a snuggly catboy.
Yeah, that was my first thought as well, but it's also occurred to me that might be post-traumatic stress disorder brought on by Pip mentioning the Valentine Brother's attack. She saw a whole lot of people on her side get slaughtered and turned into monsters after all, and then going temporarily insane/berserk probably didn't help with her coping any.

I'd half expect Schroe to change sides just for the chance to nuzzle Seras's bosom yet again.
He's a very clever catboy, and clever catboys know it's best to stick close to their supply of milk :wink:
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Postby a_white_e on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:57 am

Chaos Priest wrote:
Xuanwu wrote:D'awwww...Seras really liked Schroe. Seeing him betray her like that (and watching him get shot) must've stung. It's like Old Yeller. With a snuggly catboy.
Yeah, that was my first thought as well, but it's also occurred to me that might be post-traumatic stress disorder brought on by Pip mentioning the Valentine Brother's attack. She saw a whole lot of people on her side get slaughtered and turned into monsters after all, and then going temporarily insane/berserk probably didn't help with her coping any.

P.T.S.D. is what my first thought on seeing Seras was as well. Though the pain of betrayal by Schroe makes sense too. Though in looking at the comic again, it seems more like she just saw something off-panel that caused her to choke up, rather than in response to what Pip said...
a_white_e

Postby Brynnie-chan on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:37 am

I just need to reference something before saying that yay SerasxPip is going to happen soon.

...This feels like it's going to be the end. Of Shine. I don't know why, it just feels like everything is leading up to this. But it's different. Rip is still alive, and so is the Dandy. So is this really the end, or the precursor to the end, or...?

Garg. I need to go make a few Hellsing figurines now. I'm too confused.
I got the way and means to New Orleans
I'm goin' down by the river where it's warm and green
I'm gonna have a drink, then walk around
I got a lot to think about
Oh yeah...
-Bloodletting, Concrete Blonde
Brynnie-chan
Regular Poster

Postby SailorPtah on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:14 am

Chaos Priest wrote:Hunch? Um... shouldn't the author know these things?

Characters and stories sometimes reveal themselves slowly. Part of the fun of being a writer is the fun of discovery ^_^

Brynnie-chan wrote:...This feels like it's going to be the end. Of Shine. I don't know why, it just feels like everything is leading up to this. But it's different. Rip is still alive, and so is the Dandy. So is this really the end, or the precursor to the end, or...?

I'd call it the precursor. This is the final battle we're looking at, but it's going to be a long while yet before it's won.
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kazokuhouou on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:34 am

SailorPtah wrote:I'd call it the precursor. This is the final battle we're looking at, but it's going to be a long while yet before it's won.

Yeah, I mean, in Hellsing proper, it took, what, two, three volumes to go through the entire battle?
Kazokuhouou
Regular Poster

Postby SailorPtah on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:11 pm

Kazokuhouou wrote:Yeah, I mean, in Hellsing proper, it took, what, two, three volumes to go through the entire battle?

Lol, I would say it was pretty much the last four ^_^

By the way, I just got interviewed about Shine by The Xcentrikz. Check it out for thoughts, reflections, Hitchhiker's Guide quotations, and, yes, a few spoilers :D
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Xuanwu on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:06 pm

SailorPtah wrote:By the way, I just got interviewed about Shine by The Xcentrikz. Check it out for thoughts, reflections, Hitchhiker's Guide quotations, and, yes, a few spoilers :D

Awesome! A few more interviews and Shine could get its own Wiki page. Thanks for the shout outs, too. 8-)

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:47 pm

No offense to you Erin, but some of those questions in the interview seemed overly canned to me. Yeah, I realize it can be useful to have a standard set of questions to ask, a question like "If Shine were featured in an animated series, what would you imagine it being like?" when this started off as a fancomic of an animated series just makes it seem like they barely bother to alter formula at all other then sticking in one or two unique questions at the beginning. Several of their responses seemed a bit scripted as well, such as "That's pretty colorful!" and "Haha, okay."
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Postby SailorPtah on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:I realize it can be useful to have a standard set of questions to ask, a question like "If Shine were featured in an animated series, what would you imagine it being like?" when this started off as a fancomic of an animated series just makes it seem like they barely bother to alter formula at all other then sticking in one or two unique questions at the beginning. Several of their responses seemed a bit scripted as well, such as "That's pretty colorful!" and "Haha, okay."

You can look around the other interviews for comparison - some of them follow a recognizable formula, but Shine, not so much.

On the other hand, the responses/transitions were actually added in afterwards. I got sent the questions all in one file, and sent the answers back in a group, and then those phrases were slipped in, I guess to make it flow better. Which apparently backfired on them ^_^;
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kazokuhouou on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Pip has a point.
Kazokuhouou
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:36 pm

A lot of real life interviewers throw in hackneyed responses. Colbert makes fun of this all the time, along with a good chunk of TDS crew.

"I let him bathe with me!" Mmm, I'm sure Schroe enjoyed that. I wonder if he took photos when she wasn't looking and sold them to the other Millennium people. Seras could be their Betty Grable. XD

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Arvanna on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:09 pm

Xuanwu wrote:A lot of real life interviewers throw in hackneyed responses. Colbert makes fun of this all the time, along with a good chunk of TDS crew.

"I let him bathe with me!" Mmm, I'm sure Schroe enjoyed that. I wonder if he took photos when she wasn't looking and sold them to the other Millennium people. Seras could be their Betty Grable. XD

Hmmmmmm I'd buy that for a dollar!!!!!! Wow that's funny to think little Ole Schro has been in the tub with Seras when she'd never allow Alucard even in the bathroom if she was bathing.
Who says only the EVIL female vamps are gorgeous?

Arvanna
Regular Poster

Postby a_white_e on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:30 am

To be fair to Seras, when she started letting Schroe bath with her, Schroe was not working for Millenium. It was only after the resolution of the body swap that Schroe!body and Schroe!mind were reunited and hanging out at Hellsing. Of course, she doesn't know that, and neither does Pip.
a_white_e

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Well that's certainly a noble gesture, but generally speaking it works better when 1) it's you who has done something to make the person upset, and 2) the person you're allowing to beat their feelings out on you doesn't have enough strength to smack you across the room by flicking their finger.
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Postby Arvanna on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Very true there and if Pip thought about it if he really wanted her at full strength he should have asked her to bite him :twisted:
Who says only the EVIL female vamps are gorgeous?

Arvanna
Regular Poster

Postby BigKwell on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:08 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:Well that's certainly a noble gesture, but generally speaking it works better when 1) it's you who has done something to make the person upset, and 2) the person you're allowing to beat their feelings out on you doesn't have enough strength to smack you across the room by flicking their finger.

(reads latest strip)

:o

Getting smacked across the room's the least of Pip's worries! If Seras hauls off on him, he's libel to get knocked to New York City!
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

"When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to And Shine Heaven Now