About Reading

For questions about, comments on, and other assorted discussion of all things Shine-y.

About Reading

Postby Frey on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:21 am

This might be quite shocking to bibliomaniacs (especially Yomiko Readman):
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090305/od_ ... s_lies_odd

Anyone here ever lie about books you have read? I have lied before about books I have read as well (e.g. Lord of the Rings, Water Margin, Journey to the West). Also, which Hellsing character would most likely have lied about books they have read?
Free-Thinking
Frey
Regular Poster

Location: University of Illinois Chicago (UIC), Illinois, USA, Earth

Re: About Reading

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:49 am

No, I can't say I lie about books I've read. If I haven't read something I'll be honest about it. Why lie? Anybody with a cursory knowledge of the book would probably be able to call you on it anyway, and then you just look so much more the fool, and a dishonest one at that.
"I refuse to have a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent."
"Ah, but I am a master of unarmed combat!"
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Postby Urahara on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:25 pm

Instead of lying about reading them, why not instead just tell them you're highly interested in novels such as those, and that the next time you've got enough spare cash to raid a bookstore, you'll pick up a copy? That way, if the person they're talking to has actually read the novel, they won't look like a fool.

On another note, the book highest on that list that I've read is A Brief History of Time. I've been meaning to get the top three, but last time I went out I ended up spending all my money on Discworld(though I did set down Faust Eric and Guards! Guards! so I could get Kafka on the Shore, which a friend of mine recommended).
Urahara
Regular Poster

Postby Reeku on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:10 pm

Lol. The Bible is in the top five, what a shocker.
Reeku
Regular Poster

Return to And Shine Heaven Now