Dream a Little Dream

For questions about, comments on, and other assorted discussion of all things Shine-y.
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Re: Dream a Little Dream

Post by Chaos Priest »

Having that long tongue out like that during a discussion of sex isn't creepy at all. Really. *shudder*

Actually, seeing that made me think of something. Why does Alucard (and by extension other vamps) have a tongue like that? I don't think the human tongue is well adapted to lapping up liquids, but of course as can easily be seen that tongue ain't human. But how has it changed? Do vampires lap at the blood like that so they can enjoy the taste more then they would normally, or does that long tongue actually serve as a proper and efficient implement for the consumption of blood much some animal tongues, such as a dog or vampire bat, or is it possible that they are able to directly absorb the blood through their tongue? For that matter once the blood is in their system how does their dead bodies process it so it's available for becoming powerful or regenerating wounds? Mind you normally I have no interest in things such as biology, but the mechanisms of the undead are so... fascinating...
"I refuse to have a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent."
"Ah, but I am a master of unarmed combat!"

Brynnie-chan
Regular Poster

Post by Brynnie-chan »

Chaos Priest wrote:Having that long tongue out like that during a discussion of sex isn't creepy at all. Really. *shudder*
No. It's disturbingly sexy in ways that shouldn't be sexy. That and Alucard being out of his coat and in an armchair in the first panel, which kinda made me think of Alfred Hitchcock but was still attractive. There is nothing that this vampire cannot turn undeniably hot.

And the fact that he's okay with Seras and Pip is a good sign. I was almost worried he'd be annoyed at Pip asking Seras about that, but I guess when you're past 550 not much bothers you anymore.
Last edited by Brynnie-chan on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got the way and means to New Orleans
I'm goin' down by the river where it's warm and green
I'm gonna have a drink, then walk around
I got a lot to think about
Oh yeah...
-Bloodletting, Concrete Blonde

Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Post by Chaos Priest »

Except a little girl asking you about sex, apparently.
"I refuse to have a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent."
"Ah, but I am a master of unarmed combat!"

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Post by Xuanwu »

Chaos Priest wrote:Except a little girl asking you about sex, apparently.
I'm sure he has some standards he's kept over his 550 year nolife.

I'm guessing he's more amused by this than anything. It's probably normal for vampires to be drawn to humans (like Integra or Mina), so Alucard has no reason to be annoyed unless Seras starts putting human emotions into it. He'd probably like her to treat Pip as a loyal food source more than "boyfriend."

Brynnie-chan
Regular Poster

Post by Brynnie-chan »

Chaos Priest wrote: Actually, seeing that made me think of something. Why does Alucard (and by extension other vamps) have a tongue like that? I don't think the human tongue is well adapted to lapping up liquids, but of course as can easily be seen that tongue ain't human. But how has it changed? Do vampires lap at the blood like that so they can enjoy the taste more then they would normally, or does that long tongue actually serve as a proper and efficient implement for the consumption of blood much some animal tongues, such as a dog or vampire bat, or is it possible that they are able to directly absorb the blood through their tongue? For that matter once the blood is in their system how does their dead bodies process it so it's available for becoming powerful or regenerating wounds? Mind you normally I have no interest in things such as biology, but the mechanisms of the undead are so... fascinating...
Anyone here ever see that episode of Billy and Mandy where Grim and Dracula get lost in the desert? Maybe there's some truth to the whole "scrape and lick" thing Dracula talked about, no matter how wonderfully ridiculous that episode was. It's either because of that, or because of Hirano's history as a hentai artist and knowledge that that whole "tongue thing" in Volume 1 would be a turn-on to many female readers.

I'm a little curious about undead biology too, though. It seems to change just as much as vampires themselves do throughout history, civilizations and time. One short story said vampires can't feed off their own blood or they'll suffer from malnutrition; the same story also said that a cup of animal blood with a few drops of human blood once a day was enough to sustain the average vampire. Another short story said that anything with enough Vitamin B12 in it (like liver) was all a vampire needed, not blood. It's all very weird.
Oh yeah...

RedMattis
Regular Poster

Post by RedMattis »

Bats and... Bees? It sounds like Alucard dramatically failed to make the moment less awkward by making a total Ass Pull instead of just using the popular "Birds and Bees". :lol:
I wonder if this awkwardness was intentional :eyebrow:
"To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

RedMattis
Regular Poster

Post by RedMattis »

Chaos Priest wrote:I'm a little curious about undead biology too, though. It seems to change just as much as vampires themselves do throughout history, civilizations and time. One short story said vampires can't feed off their own blood or they'll suffer from malnutrition; the same story also said that a cup of animal blood with a few drops of human blood once a day was enough to sustain the average vampire. Another short story said that anything with enough Vitamin B12 in it (like liver) was all a vampire needed, not blood. It's all very weird.
In history almost every country in the world seems to have invented their own type of vampire.
China for example has the Chi-iang Shich while the Japanese has the Gaki (arguably a demon). Even just in Europe we have more kinds than just the "Gothic Vampire". The Vyrolakos for example is less bloodthirsty than the classic Gothic Vampire, but more malicious. They have no vulnerabilities at all in some versions, and can only be killed by complete cremation.
...then you have more weird types like the European Vampir and Vampiressa (they are the ones responsible for traditional version of the Dhampir or Dhampiressa) which are basically astral entities bound to an unmoving corpse. The nature of these astral entities vary in different stories (like all vampires...), but many versions let the spirit solidify and leave it's old corpse, possibly joining their previous mate in life if s/he is still alive. Usually portrayed as invisible in astral form (except for dhampir), and pretty much indistinguishable from humans if they have become solid (except for supernatural powers one would assume).

The Penagalen takes the price for disturbing though. It is a seemingly normal human woman who during the night rips her head, spine and many of the internal organs loose from the body and fly out in the night to drink blood. One of their biggest vulnerabilities? When they had drunken their fill they might get trouble getting back through the window of their house because their organs are so swollen up from all the blood they have drunk. ...somehow they shrink down with vinegar to get back into the rest of their bodies by the way.
Just try to imagine their appearance. :wink:

Some vampires in legend were very physically weak, thus explaining why they snuck upon people in the night by the way. Quite different from the Hollywood version, eh?

They are literally several dozen different types of vampires, all with many different vulnerabilities and strengths.

No surprise the legends aren't exactly all the same, and Authors feel quite free to make up whatever they damn please. :wink:
"To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

FelinaofL2
Regular Poster

Post by FelinaofL2 »

RedMattis wrote:The Penagalen takes the price for disturbing though. It is a seemingly normal human woman who during the night rips her head, spine and many of the internal organs loose from the body and fly out in the night to drink blood. One of their biggest vulnerabilities? When they had drunken their fill they might get trouble getting back through the window of their house because their organs are so swollen up from all the blood they have drunk. ...somehow they shrink down with vinegar to get back into the rest of their bodies by the way.
Just try to imagine their appearance. :wink:
For an awesome example, I recommend reading "The Pennaggalen", from volume 7 (The Troll Witch and Others) of Mike Mignola's Hellboy
Gundam Wing has hot guys, kick-ass women and mechs. Hellsing has hot guys, kick-ass women and guns. ^_^ Ah, the joys of anime.

Brynnie-chan
Regular Poster

Post by Brynnie-chan »

Okay, NOW he's acting overly creepy. I can't tell if the tongue out now is because he's feeling ecchi or because he's teasing Seras.

And yes. Please put away the hands. It's one thing when you're acting sexy with a wine glass, it's quite another when all we can see is your fledgling's disgust.
Oh yeah...

Romanticide
Regular Poster

Post by Romanticide »

RedMattis wrote: The Penagalen takes the price for disturbing though. It is a seemingly normal human woman who during the night rips her head, spine and many of the internal organs loose from the body and fly out in the night to drink blood. One of their biggest vulnerabilities? When they had drunken their fill they might get trouble getting back through the window of their house because their organs are so swollen up from all the blood they have drunk. ...somehow they shrink down with vinegar to get back into the rest of their bodies by the way.
Just try to imagine their appearance.
How funny, we have a kind of witch like that here. As this thing is from philipines and Malay maybe the legend came abord with Manila Galeon among all the other imports, long, long ago. mhhh
Want to add another layer of disturbing. One of the ways the get this thing the hell away from you is too pee on it... at least over this side of the legend... I wish I was making this up.

Well about vampire being a little chilli when doing sexy things, initially maybe but no for long. As they would probably end absorving the heat of their partner, because you know... bodies can't emit cold...

BigKwell
Regular Poster

Post by BigKwell »

RedMattis wrote:Bats and... Bees? It sounds like Alucard dramatically failed to make the moment less awkward by making a total Ass Pull instead of just using the popular "Birds and Bees". :lol:
I wonder if this awkwardness was intentional :eyebrow:
(reads latest strip)

Geez Alucard! That's a good way to creep-out a Draculina! Reminds me of a plot device I sometimes use in my Hellsing/Gunsmith Cats series 'Night Angels'.

BTW - I've noticed there's a longer lag between updates. I guess from now on, I'm going to have to take into account the time gap between Kennewick and Christchurch before the next strip arrives.
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

"When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
Stephen W. Hawking

RedMattis
Regular Poster

Post by RedMattis »

Romanticide wrote:How funny, we have a kind of witch like that here. As this thing is from philipines and Malay maybe the legend came abord with Manila Galeon among all the other imports, long, long ago. mhhh
Want to add another layer of disturbing. One of the ways the get this thing the hell away from you is too pee on it... at least over this side of the legend... I wish I was making this up.
Nasty. Seems like there are a loot of these things. I wonder what else this discussion will bring up. :)

Oh, there was a version in Burma called Kephn, which had the major differences of eating peoples souls as well as the blood. Oh, and it was male, unlike the female Penanggalen.

On the topic of unusual vampires, the Langsoir which is apparently killed by cutting of the hair and nails... and shoving them into the secound mouth at the back of their heads, would probably qualify. It is a vampire from a woman died during childbirth, and she drinks through the second mouth.
Their children turn into fetal-baby-vampires called Pontiannak by the way, and baby-vampires are pretty creepy. My book doesn't say much about their behaviour, but compares them to "Ustriel" (Polish Legend) which are apparently kids dead before baptism.
Langsoir and Pontiannak are legends from the Malaysia area I gathered.
Romanticide wrote:Well about vampire being a little chilli when doing sexy things, initially maybe but no for long. As they would probably end absorving the heat of their partner, because you know... bodies can't emit cold...
Still don't think that's going to stop it from feeling like necrophilia the first five minutes. For most people that would be "squick". :shifty:

Atticusblackwolf
Regular Poster

Post by Atticusblackwolf »

RedMattis wrote:
Romanticide wrote:Well about vampire being a little chilli when doing sexy things, initially maybe but no for long. As they would probably end absorving the heat of their partner, because you know... bodies can't emit cold...
Still don't think that's going to stop it from feeling like necrophilia the first five minutes. For most people that would be "squick". :shifty:
I'm not sure but I think they have heated massage oils and lube that might help with the body tempurature problem

Tommygunner70
Regular Poster

Post by Tommygunner70 »

So... Alucard is going to teach Seras how to shape sift... just for the sake of pleasuring Pip now?

Some how, i welcome the idea of her being able to shape shift as well. On the other hand, I find it rather disturbing to have Seras shape sift so she can pleasure the man of her choosing more..

I Aim to please, and I never disapoint.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Post by Xuanwu »

I liked how World of Darkness handled sex: vampires could have physical sex, but would derive none of the normal human pleasure from it. They could also warm their bodies by expending blood to heat certain parts (Seras can't, of course, since she doesn't drink any yet).

There is more than one AxI, AxR, and AxS doujin involving Alucard's many appendages. Heck, it's practically canon since he uses them on Rippy (and boy did her VA make her sound like she loved it).

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

BigKwell wrote:BTW - I've noticed there's a longer lag between updates.
If there is, it's just ComicGen being finicky. Updates are automatic, and still scheduled for 12 AM Eastern Time.

Abadon XXX
Regular Poster

Post by Abadon XXX »

>.> *Remembers vicissitude when he read the comic*
Darksong: o.o I completely forgot I was wearing pants
Darksong: *glares at cats* YOU ARE NOT ME! STOP TRYING TO USE MY COMPUTER AND CHAIR
She who rides in single file to hide her pie ~Reyome
I wasn't aware we needed proof that Andrew was, in fact, crazy. I've been aware of this for years. ~Lord Massacre
Muah ha ha ha. Now with your real name I can do creepy stalker things to you. ~Xuanwu

Winged Knight
Regular Poster

Post by Winged Knight »

Why would any customization be needed? Seras is a combination of both adorable and absurdly sexy. What man, or woman, needs more than that?
“You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.” Neil Gaiman

We'll drink the wine till the cup is dry,
and kiss the girls so they'll not cry,
and toss the dice until we fly
to dance with Jak o' the Shadows.

RedMattis
Regular Poster

Post by RedMattis »

... alright, now I'm really getting trouble telling what vampire myths are Cannon the the Webcomic. Last time I checked Hellsing's vampirism was infectious by bite, and so was the vampirism of Bram Stoker's Dracula (though having stages of transformation between human and vampire).

Tommygunner70
Regular Poster

Post by Tommygunner70 »

... did anyone else notice that when you see Alucards hands, that they are in the exact same position as you would to stimulate a woman from below?

Why is that actually?

I Aim to please, and I never disapoint.