Page 5 of 9

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:59 pm
by ObsessiveFangirl93
OMG! MAGGIE!!!! *Glomps*

My favorite of the R.O.Dream. Girls...No wonder, she's Walter's Daughter! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

...Wait...Is THE reason Walter later does that thing that he does? *Trying really hard to not give spoilers* 'Cuz that would be nice.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 pm
by Starcat5
In Shine: Yes.

In Hellsing cannon: The issue is never adequately explained.

Edit: 100 posts in 10 years! (Longer, if there was a server hiccup like Keenspot had.) Take that, Comic Genesis! Who's your best lurker now? :twisted:

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:09 pm
by Brynnie-chan
...I feel completely justified in saying this.

OH MY FUCKING GOD.

Why do I feel like this is the true end of the lighthearted antics of earlier strips? I mean, the drama in this is beautiful, but honestly, I am shocked.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 pm
by SailorPtah
Brynnie-chan wrote:Why do I feel like this is the true end of the lighthearted antics of earlier strips?

Probably because it is. (Well played.)

Urahara wrote:Speaking of Nenene, is it just me, or does Hyakko's Kazamatsuri Touma seem an awful lot like a combination of Maggie and Nenene?

...late response, I know, but I should mention that I am totally checking out this series now.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:40 pm
by Brynnie-chan
SailorPtah wrote:
Brynnie-chan wrote:Why do I feel like this is the true end of the lighthearted antics of earlier strips?

Probably because it is. (Well played.)


Thanks, but this is still kinda depressing. Still, Hellsing is kind of depressing (well, more dark than depressing at times, but still), and like I said, the drama in this is amazing. Good work, Erin. It takes a strong writer to do this kind of stuff, and you have proved yourself. Of course, I'm an amateur at best and not a perfect judge, but I'm sure everyone agrees this is great. And you have obviously been planning this for a long time. (hug)

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:01 pm
by Athos
Took her long enough to come back. Looks like I was right all those years ago when I guessed Walter had been to Hong Kong at some point.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:06 pm
by Darthmiho
Come on Anita! And Michelle! If there's one force on this planet that might rival walter wanting to save Maggie, it'd be Michelle and Anita trying to save Maggie.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:42 am
by Chickenperson
I am glad to see that Shine is going to justify the random betrayal of Walter-that was the biggest WTF? in the manga for me. I never did get it.

Walter: Muahaha! I shall kill you all!

Me: *staring* Wait, what? Weren't you a good guy a few chapters ago? Where's the real Walter? Damn you, Hirano, for your inconsistancy! That's some SMeyer-level fail right there!

I like Shine's explanation of "We have your daughter!" It's better than my personal explanation, which invovled artificial personalities and some needles.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:07 am
by Mrrout
is your avatar a reference to "good omens"?

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:02 am
by MitchellTF
Hm...Minor plothole...

Walter, according to canon, had made his decision at the time of Dawn...

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:10 am
by Tommygunner70
I haven't been here for a while, but I am a still reading.

That and I've seen Walter's 'daughter' else were I think.

Image
Maggie Mui, R.O.D; Read or Dream.
Most of the time she wears a tomboy-ish suit and necktie, as shown on the photo Schrodinger has.

Heh, I've seen R.O.D, but I've never gotten a chance to finish Read or Dream.
*Starts digging through a 1TB large hard drive.*

makes me wonder if walter has anymore offspring then just her.
Also, did Integral or Alucard even know about this?

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:06 pm
by Known Stranger
Chickenperson wrote:I like Shine's explanation of "We have your daughter!" It's better than my personal explanation, which involved artificial personalities and some needles.


Have you been reading Godchild, by any chance?

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:50 pm
by Xuanwu
Darthmiho wrote:Come on Anita! And Michelle! If there's one force on this planet that might rival walter wanting to save Maggie, it'd be Michelle and Anita trying to save Maggie.

This is before they meet. Maggie's not even a paper user at this point.

Also, 15 years ago. I WONDER WHAT HAPPENED THEN.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:36 pm
by Romanticide
Known Stranger wrote:
Chickenperson wrote:I like Shine's explanation of "We have your daughter!" It's better than my personal explanation, which involved artificial personalities and some needles.


Have you been reading Godchild, by any chance?


Kaori Yuki <3 <3 <3

It may be my personal opinion but I prefer traitor being a complete traitor, to me it seems that his pride won the best of him and he prefered dying in a last glorious battle with Alucard (even if it hurt Integral) to get old, and extinguish slowly. (He actually mentioned pride, in volume 3 as England sin or something like that) It also explains how the valentines were able to get inside, somebody on the inside helped them gathering the data.

But anyways, this is the shineverse and I'm okay with it if helps moving the story.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:04 pm
by Darthmiho
Xuanwu wrote:
Darthmiho wrote:Come on Anita! And Michelle! If there's one force on this planet that might rival walter wanting to save Maggie, it'd be Michelle and Anita trying to save Maggie.

This is before they meet. Maggie's not even a paper user at this point.

Also, 15 years ago. I WONDER WHAT HAPPENED THEN.


Curse your superior knowledge of Read or Die timelines! *does doctor claw fist*

I guess I'm back to my hopes for the 4th Doctor.

Edit: It occurs to me, we could have Anita show up anyways. She was at the library when Yomiko burned it down if memory serves, it was the first time she'd ever used paper.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:46 am
by Chickenperson
I would have been all right with the Walter Betrayal Arc if there'd been some lead up. It was too abrupt of an about-face, combined with the Anderson's Nail WTFness. My brain could not compute it. So I made up my own explanation ( I think there's fic in my hard drive somewhere that explains it properly) which involved Millenium doing something to Walter when he went away on a mission. While they injected another personality into him, an evil one they cultivated artificially to do their bidding, Arthur died and RIchard went off to kill Integra. Walter wakes up injured in the hospital and makes his own explanation as to his amnesia; he does not suspect the second personality unti it reveals itself to him, even though it makes him do all kinds of bad things behind Integra's back during the normal Hellsing timeline. Of course, the artificial personailty doesn't work as Millenium planned-it goes rogue, but ends up fulfilling Millenium's purpose in the end out of a twisted to desire to hurt Walter as much as possible. I'd like to believe this explanation.

I think the whole "We have your daughter!" is more working with Walter's character, not to mention more plausible.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:26 am
by FelinaofL2
So, Walter was about... 53 when he had a daughter. James Bond, eat your heart out.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:07 am
by Darthmiho
FelinaofL2 wrote:So, Walter was about... 53 when he had a daughter. James Bond, eat your heart out.


Sean Connery walks up, sips his drink, says something awesome, and walks away

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm
by Xuanwu
Darthmiho wrote:Edit: It occurs to me, we could have Anita show up anyways. She was at the library when Yomiko burned it down if memory serves, it was the first time she'd ever used paper.

Correct. In fact, Dokusensha already has her, since they grabbed her right after the fire.

Re: Betrayal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:52 pm
by Michigami
Chickenperson wrote:I would have been all right with the Walter Betrayal Arc if there'd been some lead up. It was too abrupt of an about-face, combined with the Anderson's Nail WTFness. My brain could not compute it. So I made up my own explanation ( I think there's fic in my hard drive somewhere that explains it properly) which involved Millenium doing something to Walter when he went away on a mission. While they injected another personality into him, an evil one they cultivated artificially to do their bidding, Arthur died and RIchard went off to kill Integra. Walter wakes up injured in the hospital and makes his own explanation as to his amnesia; he does not suspect the second personality unti it reveals itself to him, even though it makes him do all kinds of bad things behind Integra's back during the normal Hellsing timeline. Of course, the artificial personailty doesn't work as Millenium planned-it goes rogue, but ends up fulfilling Millenium's purpose in the end out of a twisted to desire to hurt Walter as much as possible. I'd like to believe this explanation.

I think the whole "We have your daughter!" is more working with Walter's character, not to mention more plausible.



i've personally always been of the opinion that the Dawn mission must have went horribly wrong, and that's what began it all. somewhere between the big bad wolf and the prototype ghouls and who knows what else, the seeds of "wtf am i doing this all for?" came about in walter's head, and millenium simply appealed to the ego and vanity of youth with what seemed a better offer than getting old or dying in battle against something "unworthy" of his talents. he may even have happily become one of their sleeper agents like the others, slowly making hellsing's downfall from that moment during the war, perhaps even slowly poisoning arthur's booze to speed up his degeneration.

i don't think all of england or the world were in the picture for him, he had a personal plan for family and organization, and in particular for alucard, and perhaps just didn't expect them to take so long to get around to activating the rest of the larger plan.

it's a long and complicated story best left to the fanfic i stuck it all in then promptly abandoned because i forgot where i put the disk.


and despite all that, on the subject of sean connery, walter, and a few other "aged like a fine wine" type older men....
yeah, there's always SOMEONE willing to hit/be hit by that. :wink: