Betrayal

For questions about, comments on, and other assorted discussion of all things Shine-y.

Re: Betrayal

Postby Brynnie-chan on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:12 am

O_O Poor Yomiko-chan. You know, I once admitted to my friends that the best way to get me to reveal a secret would probably be to hold one of my books above a shredder. But for Yomiko... having to feel their pain, hearing the books scream... she probably really needs a hug right now.
I got the way and means to New Orleans
I'm goin' down by the river where it's warm and green
I'm gonna have a drink, then walk around
I got a lot to think about
Oh yeah...
-Bloodletting, Concrete Blonde
Brynnie-chan
Regular Poster

Postby BigKwell on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:15 am

Mars wrote:-reads latest strip- I guess Yomiko's gonna need lotsa therapy.

(also reads latest strip)

I think I've mentioned it before - this is a prelude before the storyline of ROD the TV.
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

"When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Postby Mrrout on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:23 am

because of shine i bought read or die!
but i didn't knew that there was the OAV and the TV (this anime isn't very well known in France)
so i bought something called "ROD the TV", and then i discovered that it was a sequel!!
can i watch it now and understand the plot, or must i buy the OAV to watch them first?
Mrrout
Regular Poster

Postby BigKwell on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:32 am

Mrrout wrote:because of shine i bought read or die!
but i didn't knew that there was the OAV and the TV (this anime isn't very well known in France)
so i bought something called "ROD the TV", and then i discovered that it was a sequel!!
can i watch it now and understand the plot, or must i buy the OAV to watch them first?

It would help if you would watch the OVA first. It's a good set-up for the later TV series.
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Postby SailorPtah on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:11 pm

Mrrout wrote:so i bought something called "ROD the TV", and then i discovered that it was a sequel!!

I saw R.O.D The TV before I saw the OVA, so you can probably watch them in any order. The TV series takes place five years after the OVA, and starts off with different characters. The connections between the two aren't obvious until the later episodes.

The TV series is also four years in the future of the current story in Shine. But it's in a different continuity, so don't worry too much about spoilers.
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Xuanwu on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Mrrout wrote:but i didn't knew that there was the OAV and the TV (this anime isn't very well known in France)

Watch the OVA first. Read or Die is all about Yomiko Readman, who is the most awesome anime female ever (she tops Integra in my book, anyway). The OVA features her in top form. The TV series should be watched second, though be warned that Yomiko's character is emotionally neutered in it, making it largely inferior to the OVA's. The TV series also suffers issues from pacing, especially toward the end.

I also recommend the Read or Die manga. It's in the same continuity as the OVA, but not the TV series. (ROD has a lot of continuities, all formed by mixing and matching the various medias: novels, manga, and anime.)

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Known Stranger on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:03 pm

Xuanwu wrote:Oh, I forgot about this idea. Major as a fanboy for War and as a fanboy for Integra both made sense to me. I even imagined his cyborg body being steered by a little fanboy version of him, ala some of the aliens in Men in Black.

I can see that. Wonder what would happen if both War and Integra where in the same room with the guy...
I am the insane sketch of a raven on the blackboard in violet chalk,
The blood on the roses, and the shadow that walks,
I am the Mad Hatter, Drinking tea, Killing time,
I am the voice that you hear in your mind.
Known Stranger
Regular Poster

Postby Mrrout on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:00 am

thank you
Mrrout
Regular Poster

Postby Mars on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:18 am

BigKwell wrote:
Mars wrote:-reads latest strip- I guess Yomiko's gonna need lotsa therapy.

(also reads latest strip)

I think I've mentioned it before - this is a prelude before the storyline of ROD the TV.

So she gets therapy or...
Finally, I remember to do a signature! Oh the wonder! Oh the happiness! ... I don't even have a snappy remark to make.

D: I am in DESPAIR! The lack of a snappy remark for my signature has left me in despair!

Ooh I got it!
[about a scene in "Isn't that a bit Dangerous, Jeeves?"]"He looks nothing like Jesus. Jesus had a beard."
Mars
Regular Poster

Postby Brynnie-chan on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:24 am

So someone she loved was in danger... I bet it was Nenene. And I was right. She reaaaalllly needs a hug.
I got the way and means to New Orleans
I'm goin' down by the river where it's warm and green
I'm gonna have a drink, then walk around
I got a lot to think about
Oh yeah...
-Bloodletting, Concrete Blonde
Brynnie-chan
Regular Poster

Postby BigKwell on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:41 pm

Brynnie-chan wrote:So someone she loved was in danger... I bet it was Nenene. And I was right. She reaaaalllly needs a hug.

Either Nenene... or Nancy... or BOTH!!
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Postby Urahara on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm going to just guess that her reasons for doing this are somewhat different from what we eventually find out, seeing as ROD the TV can't happen without London, and, well, we all know what happens to London in Hellsing's timeline.

Wonder if Nenene and Nancy will meet soon.
Urahara
Regular Poster

Postby Kazokuhouou on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:48 pm

Urahara wrote:I'm going to just guess that her reasons for doing this are somewhat different from what we eventually find out, seeing as ROD the TV can't happen without London, and, well, we all know what happens to London in Hellsing's timeline.

Wonder if Nenene and Nancy will meet soon.

I may be misreading Erin's notes and the ROD canon timeline, but that's likely, since this is happening in Shineverse a few years before it says it happens canonically.

And for argument's sake, I'm going to put forth that ROD TV happens AFTER Hellsing proper. England's prestige went down after the Library burned, which probably helped Millenium invade easily. And given enough time, London can be rebuilt. Probably not to what it had been, but rebuilt. (After all, it survived fires, plague, and the Blitz)
Kazokuhouou
Regular Poster

Postby Urahara on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Kazokuhouou wrote:I may be misreading Erin's notes and the ROD canon timeline, but that's likely, since this is happening in Shineverse a few years before it says it happens canonically.

And for argument's sake, I'm going to put forth that ROD TV happens AFTER Hellsing proper. England's prestige went down after the Library burned, which probably helped Millenium invade easily. And given enough time, London can be rebuilt. Probably not to what it had been, but rebuilt. (After all, it survived fires, plague, and the Blitz)

..Yeah, that would work, if they put their back into it, plus having Gentleman there would definitely make it easy for them to rebuild London in enough time. I need to rewatch the last half of ROD to refresh my memory.
Urahara
Regular Poster

Postby Kazokuhouou on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Well, I give up. I now ship Walter/Yomiko.
Kazokuhouou
Regular Poster

Postby SailorPtah on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Kazokuhouou wrote:Well, I give up. I now ship Walter/Yomiko.

You know, even as I was drawing this, I was thinking, "Darnit, I'm getting het in my yuri."

But it makes an eerie kind of sense. If great power brings great responsibility, then Yomiko has way too much responsibility for one human to deal with. And she (unlike, say, Integra) doesn't have the temperament for it. She'll take on the burden out of necessity, but it's very hard on her to always be the strong one.

Walter, meanwhile, is a grizzled old veteran. He's a lot like Donnie - incredibly tough and battle-hardened under a Zen exterior. (And Donnie was definitely old before his time.) He's someone Yomiko can lean on - which is something she desperately needs right now.

...and I should probably stop here, before I talk myself into writing the pairing into strip canon XD
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:37 pm

I think my fanish devotion to Walter just went up another notch.

Poor Yomiko :cry: It was very brave and noble of her to stay and witness her "friends'" sacrifice, but that is still something nobody should ever have to go through.
"I refuse to have a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent."
"Ah, but I am a master of unarmed combat!"
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Postby BigKwell on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:04 pm

(reads latest strip)

Well I don't know about this 'Yomiko/Walter' shipping. I think Walter was acting more like a father figure, trying to comfort an obviously-distraught Yomiko.

Oh BTW, my typing right now has a... slight impediment. I stupidly cut both my right thumb and right middle finger on a can lid (teaches me for using the wrong tool for the job). Had to get both lacerations glued (certainly beats stitches anyday) and as a result, I've got bulky bandages on the thumb and finger. :(
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Postby Winged Knight on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:43 pm

Poor Yomiko. I cry manly tears. :cry:
Winged Knight
Regular Poster

Postby Chaos Priest on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:06 am

I feel ya, man. I fee... wait a second, those tears aren't manly at all! See, look at that one right there. It's got a little bow on.
"I refuse to have a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent."
"Ah, but I am a master of unarmed combat!"
Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to And Shine Heaven Now