Considering the original novel....

For questions about, comments on, and other assorted discussion of all things Shine-y.

Considering the original novel....

Postby SwordKing on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Considering how Bram Stoker's original novel went, wouldn't it make more sense for the Harkers to form an organization and/or clan dedicated to protecting England from future vampire attacks? Hellsing, while clearly the biggest vampire expert in the group, was pretty old, had no relatives mentioned in the book, and wasn't even English.

Then again, "Harker" doesn't sound nearly as cool as "Hellsing".
SwordKing

Re: Considering the original novel....

Postby Loug002 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:11 pm

Johnathan would not have known what to do, from a scientific point of view and Mina I doubt would have wanted anything to do with Dracula, or vampires in general, considering she did have a son.

Van Helsing, despite being old, would have the most knowledge and know-how to deal with it. Do not forget all the titles he held--more than we are able to count (or I'm able to name off of the top of my head). Plus, I think the British government may have found out about the vampire attack, if the novel had actually happened. So having Van Helsing Britishificate (ha! i used a bush-ism! :lol: ) his name and head up the organization would have made sense.

But that's just me. heh.
Loug002

Postby SailorPtah on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:02 pm

Jonathan Harker was, as Hirano so nicely put it, "kind of useless." He wouldn't have done well in such an organization.

Mina, on the other hand . . . well, there's a subset of fans who believe Mina is Arthur Hellsing's mother, which makes a whole lot of sense. (In The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen continuity, she divorces Jonathan and ends up heading a secret monster-fighting monster-employing organization, in very Integra-ish fashion.)
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Chickenperson on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:45 am

i always saw Mina as being, while intelligient, too much of a personification of the time's Victorian ideals (woman as submissve to her husband) to be involved in the creation of hellsing. She doesn't have the personality for it, and I feel like she would have wanted to keep Jonathan and her son out of it.

How Order 13 Should Have Gone:

Incognito: *creepy voice* I'm going to violate every part of your being.

Integral:..with what?

http://community.livejournal.com/hellsing/1280473.html Click here for the first ever SchrodingerxIncognito fic.
Chickenperson
Regular Poster

Return to And Shine Heaven Now