Hellsing live-action movie - cast speculation

For questions about, comments on, and other assorted discussion of all things Shine-y.

Hellsing live-action movie - cast speculation

Postby BigKwell on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Was cruising Erin's Wordpress blog today, and I was intrigued about the April 3 entry, on the possibilty of a Hellsing live-action movie. If this turns out to be true, this could be one of the best bits of news I've heard since I became a Hellsing fan now if they'll do the same for Tenchi Muyo!, then everything will be perfect).

How about we talk about what Imagen Films, the guys that released the YouTube trailer I saw on the blog, will cast for the movie, if it turns out to be true. If I had the right to choose any of the cast, I would have the Scottish actor Steven Brand (the voice of Alexander Anderson in the English dub of the anime) to be cast as Anderson. It's a natural!
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

"When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Re: Hellsing live-action movie - cast speculation

Postby Xuanwu on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:08 pm

Integra and Schroe will be nigh-impossible to cast right. Seras is easy enough - plenty of blond actresses with huge chests who can act scared then toughen up. I'd kill to have Michael Caine as Walter, but I'm not sure he could pull off the action scenes at his age. Gary Oldman or Liam Neeson would work. And you need Bruce Willis to cameo as himself in Alucard's dreams or at least as one of the Wild Geese (or, in a pinch, Zorin).

For Major, I wonder who could play a short pudgy guy who laughs maniacally? It would be interesting if Jack Black took the role - his Major would be different from actual Major, but he has a charismatic mania and childish borderline personality that would be good for a movie. For Doc, Adrian Brody comes to mind - their build is similar and I think Brody has enough range to go from Jewish Holocaust survivor to Nazi mad scientist. For Captain you need someone tall and stoic - some up and coming action star who doesn't mind no speaking roles.

Rippy needs to be someone who looks hot with glasses, has a great evil laugh, and can sing. The only one who comes to mind is Linda Cardellini (Velma), but I doubt she could pull it off. No one else comes to mind, since all the current actresses aren't really sufficient to play everyone's favorite Millennium girl.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Illusionist on Fri May 02, 2008 9:31 am

I agree with Jack Black as The Major, but only if he could keep up the accent without descending into giggles.

Christopher Lee or Sir Ian McKellen as Walter. Both are awesome old men. I would have suggested Sean Connery, but as Walter's English and Sean can only do the one accent...
Warren Ellis: I figure that the more of you there are around me, the more chance there is of the inevitable hail of bullets hitting you instead of me.

Dr. Kelso: In order to save us some time, I shall be calling all the males "Daves" and all the females "Debbies".
Debbie: Debbie is actually my name!
Dr. Kelso: Then in fairness to the others, you will be "Slagathor".
Illusionist
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Sun May 04, 2008 12:53 am

Illusionist wrote:I agree with Jack Black as The Major, but only if he could keep up the accent without descending into giggles.

I'd want the giggle, actually. A Jack Black Major should be a hairsbreadth away from evil laughter, twitching and spasming at random moments ready to unleash a torrent of cacophonous guffaws, held back only by the thinnest wisp of gossamer sanity.

And can you imagine Tenacious D singing about Hellsing? It'd be HellSING on an epic scale.

Christopher Lee or Sir Ian McKellen as Walter. Both are awesome old men. I would have suggested Sean Connery, but as Walter's English and Sean can only do the one accent...

Connery's also retired, which is why I didn't mention him. Connery would, however, make the most baddass Anderson ever, probably even more awesome than the original.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Abadon XXX on Sun May 04, 2008 8:49 am

XD The metal major!

>> And for the captain I like to think the one who plays hellboy would be perfect but his name escapes me
Darksong: o.o I completely forgot I was wearing pants
Darksong: *glares at cats* YOU ARE NOT ME! STOP TRYING TO USE MY COMPUTER AND CHAIR
She who rides in single file to hide her pie ~Reyome
I wasn't aware we needed proof that Andrew was, in fact, crazy. I've been aware of this for years. ~Lord Massacre
Muah ha ha ha. Now with your real name I can do creepy stalker things to you. ~Xuanwu
Abadon XXX
Regular Poster

Postby Illusionist on Mon May 05, 2008 12:03 am

Xuanwu wrote:
Illusionist wrote:I agree with Jack Black as The Major, but only if he could keep up the accent without descending into giggles.

I'd want the giggle, actually. A Jack Black Major should be a hairsbreadth away from evil laughter, twitching and spasming at random moments ready to unleash a torrent of cacophonous guffaws, held back only by the thinnest wisp of gossamer sanity.

:o

Alright, you've sold me. Jack Black would be the perfect Major.
Warren Ellis: I figure that the more of you there are around me, the more chance there is of the inevitable hail of bullets hitting you instead of me.

Dr. Kelso: In order to save us some time, I shall be calling all the males "Daves" and all the females "Debbies".
Debbie: Debbie is actually my name!
Dr. Kelso: Then in fairness to the others, you will be "Slagathor".
Illusionist
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Mon May 05, 2008 3:37 am

Abadon XXX wrote:And for the captain I like to think the one who plays hellboy would be perfect but his name escapes me

Ron Perlman. However, he's a bit too old for the role. Captain has to look in his 30's or so, while Perlman is very much the "gruff and tough" looking guy. It has to be someone who can project menace without uttering a word, so high charisma and screen presence is a must.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bakanochibi on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:42 pm

considering Johnny Depp's other roles...I think he should make a good Alucard, with Crispin dubbing in the backround
Bakanochibi

Postby Reeku on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:43 pm

You're all wrong.

Alucard should be played by Will Smith.
Reeku
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:16 pm

I could see Will Smith as the Dandy, actually. I assume you're kidding, though.

Having seen pics of Sienna Miller as Baroness (they dyed her hair black and gave her glasses, thank god), I think she could pull off Rippy. She'd need to have freckles added, but it could work.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Shadowfax272 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:42 am

Bakanochibi wrote:considering Johnny Depp's other roles...I think he should make a good Alucard, with Crispin dubbing in the backround

There's a whole in the world like a great black pit
and it's filled with people who are filled with shit
and all the vermin of the world inhabit it
and it goes by the name of...London

Sweeney Todd and Hellsing go together like bread and butter for some reason. 8-)

I can't see anyone being able to act Alucard, though, he's TOO stylish.
Jetzt auf! In Bergen und Klüften
Tobt morgen der freudige Krieg!

Das Wild in Fluren und Triften,
Der Aar in Wolken und Lüften
Ist unser, und unser der Sieg!
Shadowfax272
Regular Poster

Postby Atticusblackwolf on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:51 am

Bakanochibi wrote:considering Johnny Depp's other roles...I think he should make a good Alucard, with Crispin dubbing in the backround

Depp does have an awesome set of acting skillz. He can play a wide varity of charectors. I wouldn't really mind if it was Johnny that ended up with Alucard(90% of my friends are Johnny fans so they will let me drag them to this movie).

Plus Depp isn't like some other actors that are only good in one genre, ex:Comedy and if they try to do a serious film they are soo bad you want to backhand them.
Atticusblackwolf
Regular Poster

Postby BigKwell on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:54 am

I think Xuanwu's correct about Will Smith. He would make a perfect Tubalcain Alhambra.
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:05 pm

I dunno about Depp as Alucard. Alucard is much too serious, brooding, and iconic for Depp to play with. I'd say have Depp as Pip and let him play up the harassment of Seras and off color humor (Depp's version of the eskimo song would probably be hilarious). If he altered Pip's character as he did to Jack Sparrow (who was originally a straight up pirate), you'd get to see a whole new type of merc.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Atticusblackwolf on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:15 pm

Xuanwu wrote:I dunno about Depp as Alucard. Alucard is much too serious, brooding, and iconic for Depp to play with. I'd say have Depp as Pip and let him play up the harassment of Seras and off color humor (Depp's version of the eskimo song would probably be hilarious). If he altered Pip's character as he did to Jack Sparrow (who was originally a straight up pirate), you'd get to see a whole new type of merc.

Can I change my mind and agree with you. That sounds awesome
Atticusblackwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm

I think the key to a good Hellsing live action will be contrast: have certain characters (Integra, Alucard, Anderson, etc.) played straight and serious, while others are deliberately over the top (Major, Pip, Doc, etc.) to either provide some light comedy (Pip) or an air of manic insanity (Major, Doc). Seras would be in the middle, since she works as the "viewer character," the new guy the readers are supposed to follow.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Known Stranger on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:26 am

Atticusblackwolf wrote:
Xuanwu wrote:I dunno about Depp as Alucard. Alucard is much too serious, brooding, and iconic for Depp to play with. I'd say have Depp as Pip and let him play up the harassment of Seras and off color humor (Depp's version of the eskimo song would probably be hilarious). If he altered Pip's character as he did to Jack Sparrow (who was originally a straight up pirate), you'd get to see a whole new type of merc.

Can I change my mind and agree with you. That sounds awesome

I agree too, Depp'd make a great Pip.
Any ideas for the Valentines?
I am the insane sketch of a raven on the blackboard in violet chalk,
The blood on the roses, and the shadow that walks,
I am the Mad Hatter, Drinking tea, Killing time,
I am the voice that you hear in your mind.
Known Stranger
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:27 pm

I thought of someone better than Will Smith for Dandy: Antonio Banderas. He's got the appropriate accent for it and we know he's good with action scenes.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Atticusblackwolf on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:18 am

Xuanwu wrote:Antonio Banderas. He's got the appropriate accent for it and we know he's good with action scenes.

SQUEEEEEE!!!!!
Atticusblackwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Brynnie-chan on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:18 pm

Hm. Not many choices for Alucard yet, are there? I debated over this once wih a friend. She said that Crispin Glover coul be a decent Alucard. I have to agree with her, but I don't think he'd be perfect. The best option might just be to get Crispin Freeman to dye his hair black. This same friend also said that Anne Heche is cold enough to be a good Integra, but I can't really see that. ...Maybe Kate Winslet? She's got the perfect voice for it, but is she icy enough?

As for the others!
-Jack Black as the Major = Win. XD Just teach him German and BOOM. Maybe Mike Myers in a pinch.
-Gary Oldman seems like the best Walter choice to me so far, though I think Hugh Laurie could pull it off as well. This is mostly because I freaking LOVE Hugh Laurie. But he could pull it off pretty well.
-Anderson would HAVE to be Steven Brand, no question. He's got knife-twirling skills, as we've seen in The Scorpion King, so no worries about that.
-Enrico... for some reason I keep thinking of Sacha Baron Cohen. Though he could probably pull off Dok even better. Anthony Hopkins would be a good fit, but he's a little too old. I also can see maybe David Bowie. Hm. This is hard. Good Italian actors that aren't Roberto Benigni...
-The Captain: Hm. Daniel Craig.
-Rip: I'd say Helena Bonham Carter if she was younger. But she isn't, so.... Yeah, I'll kep thinking.

I find myself disagreeing with those who say just ANY busty blonde could play Seras. Think about it - not all of them look good with short hair, do they? With that in mind... what was the name of the actress who played Johanna in Sweeney Todd? She'd be a good fit.

Yes, yes, and more yes. Or see if Michael Bublé can act, to get the accent right. ...But Depp can be serious and sadistic. At least try him out for Alu-sama.
I got the way and means to New Orleans
I'm goin' down by the river where it's warm and green
I'm gonna have a drink, then walk around
I got a lot to think about
Oh yeah...
-Bloodletting, Concrete Blonde
Brynnie-chan
Regular Poster

Next

Return to And Shine Heaven Now