Strip discussion: Guest strips

For questions about, comments on, and other assorted discussion of all things Shine-y.
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Strip discussion: Guest strips

Post by SailorPtah »

We're plunging into about three weeks of guest strips (maybe the whole month, if I get a few more). Here's your place to sound off on 'em.

Which are funnier than anything I've done? Which are better drawn? Which should I just give up and turn over Shine to?

Discuss!

Americangothic
Regular Poster

Re: Strip discussion: Guest strips

Post by Americangothic »

SailorPtah wrote: Which should I just give up and turn over Shine to?

Discuss!
Don't you DARE say something like "which should I just give up and turn Shine over to?" I just discovered your site this last month, and I spent days reading over the archives....staying up way...way...way too late, skipping some valuable college homework time...oh no sister. Don't you even go there! We love you and your work.

Sky.

Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Post by Chaos Priest »

I’ve got two comics to comment on here. First, the transformation comic.

I think Alucard needs to look on the bright side here. Sure, Hellhound Seras isn’t going to be striking fear into the hearts of anyone soon, but it could have been a lot worse. At least she is a canine of some sort, and she is properly covered in those eyes. It could have been little pick hearts or flowers. Now that would have been embarrassing. Still, I’m not going to gush over Seras being cute. I am very much a cat person, and my little Stormy would be mortified if I were to start petting some… dog. It does deserve some recognition though, so I have purchased a Bubbles clone to do that embarrassing stuff on my behalf.

Bubbles: PUPPY!!!
*Bubbles starts petting Seras*

There we go, not only can the Bubbles clone appreciate dog-cuteness to a far greater degree than I can, but she’s far more suited to taking any bites Seras might try and give if she doesn’t like the attention.

I don’t really have much to say about the second comic. Merely that Pip quite effectively shows the danger of people drawing the wrong conclusion from overheard conversation.

That and Seras’ jinkies look especially perky tonight.

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Chaos Priest wrote:It does deserve some recognition though, so I have purchased a Bubbles clone to do that embarrassing stuff on my behalf.

Bubbles: PUPPY!!!
*Bubbles starts petting Seras*

There we go, not only can the Bubbles clone appreciate dog-cuteness to a far greater degree than I can, but she’s far more suited to taking any bites Seras might try and give if she doesn’t like the attention.
Everyone should have a Bubbles clone, I think =D

Gregor
Regular Poster

Post by Gregor »

i wonder how the angel-devil-charas would look in andersons mind, or if there is a devil (it would rather be that the devil got attacked by the angel-anderson and now rests in pieces)
probably there is only the fanatic anderson and the not-so-fanatic anderson...

Arvanna
Regular Poster

Post by Arvanna »

First off whomever did the shoulder imps I was very impressed with how well they drew them. Second the devil imps....Evil Seras in a corselet...faints dead away from hottness overload.
Who says only the EVIL female vamps are gorgeous?

Reeku
Regular Poster

Post by Reeku »

I think my reign shall soon come, and then end just before it starts. (I El Oh El at Carly's second strip the most so far)

Rip-Hellsing

Post by Rip-Hellsing »

Love the shoulder imps. It would be funny to see what would happen if Alucard had an angel one though...

Americangothic
Regular Poster

Alucard and Angels

Post by Americangothic »

On Alucard and angels....

You know, I have wondered that myself.

I know I am bad, but I haven't read Bram in like...15 years, so I have forgotten most of it, and I have no idea what Hellsing's author has told us so far...but what exactly is Alucard's belief system?

If we go by history he was Orthodox fighting the Turks in the beginning, then commited blastphemy when he drew the vampiric curse on himself...so that would make him a heretic now. But what flavor of heretic?

Then there is the seals thing. Obviously he has to believe in something for the seals to work. (Example: You can't put Shinto seals on a Voudoun...they'd just laugh). I have translated the Enochian Script half way, and it goes something like this: razqmnn Ag something Saaze Tmaasiza something. When it was not anything I recognized, I just gave up on the last word. The other symbols appear to be Veve?, not alchemical-- I cant find them in my occult encyclopedias at all, and I dont have a copy of John Dee's glyphs. The symbols aren't in the Goeta either.

I know...I'm going too far aren't I?

So anyway...for John Dee's works to work on Alucard, that means that he must believe in the Angelic hierarchy? Thus he is some sort of Christian to this day? A small one maybe, but one none the less. His shoulder angel would have A LOT of duck tape over it's mouth! But he/she/it would still be there. Maybe his shoulder angel looks like bondagecard....he he he

Sky

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Re: Alucard and Angels

Post by SailorPtah »

americangothic wrote:If we go by history he was Orthodox fighting the Turks in the beginning, then commited blastphemy when he drew the vampiric curse on himself...so that would make him a heretic now. But what flavor of heretic?
By all appearances, Hirano intends for Hellsing to follow this history.
americangothic wrote:I have translated the Enochian Script half way, and it goes something like this: razqmnn Ag something Saaze Tmaasiza something.
The Theban script around the outside of Alucard's sigil corresponds to the phrases within it: "Hellsing - Hells Gate Arrested - Shine Heaven Now."

If you can dig up an explanation of the symbols in John Dee, that would be sexy-awesome.

Americangothic
Regular Poster

My mistake

Post by Americangothic »

You're right-- it is Theban not Enochian...I got my language names mixed up. Happen to know what language? ...unless it is a alphabet code..which would make sense and be fun. Double coding and triple coding is not unheard of in high ceremonial. (yuk...math sux and why I will never be a magus.)

I have pulled out some Manly P. Hall...and found two of the inner symbols when he referenced Valentine. The one that looks like a trident is from Valentine's alchemical "The Last Will and Testiment". It is "Cabwve" or "Cabuue." The text is written in a poor caligraphy..so I cant tell if it is cabuue or cabvve?

The second I found is the one that looks similar to an ankh flanked by two other symbols. Also from Valentine it is for "piaeciyihare" or "pulvis".

The one with dots looks very similar to "Tigillum"-- a letter T with only one dot. I dont know if this is because of Valentine's mistake (?). He gives about five different symbols for Tigillum.

I'm going to have to give up on the others. I dont have enough books on obsure occult symbols to figure those out. It is always a possibility they were invented to look similar. After all-- Hellsing has thier own magicks I am sure.

:twisted:

Sky

Americangothic
Regular Poster

he he he

Post by Americangothic »

So I forgot to ask...

Does this make me half sexy?

Also-- for a free encyclopedia of symbols, you can always check out http://www.symbols.com

They are pretty good for 80% of things.

Sky

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Re: My mistake

Post by SailorPtah »

americangothic wrote:Happen to know what language? ...unless it is a alphabet code..which would make sense and be fun.
Just an alphabet code, I'm afraid.

Symbols.com looks like an awesomely awesome site.

Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Post by Chaos Priest »

Hmm... does my response to the sunday comic belong in this thread or the Birthday thread? Eh, it's getting stuck in this one.

Yeah... crack might be cheaper, but at least anime doesn't make you dependent. Sure, I have a couple of dozen DVDs and about 50 manga, but it's not like I have a problem or anything. I just like to enjoy a little from time to time. I can give it up at any time, really. I just don't want to.

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Chaos Priest wrote:I can give it up at any time, really.
So can I. Really. I swear.

*twitch*

Is it cold in here? I've got chills . . . on an unrelated note, time to stare hopefully at those Powerpuff Girls Z torrents . . .

Americangothic
Regular Poster

Post by Americangothic »

Chaos Priest wrote:Hmm... does my response to the sunday comic belong in this thread or the Birthday thread? Eh, it's getting stuck in this one.

Yeah... crack might be cheaper, but at least anime doesn't make you dependent. Sure, I have a couple of dozen DVDs and about 50 manga, but it's not like I have a problem or anything. I just like to enjoy a little from time to time. I can give it up at any time, really. I just don't want to.

Its the opposite for me....about 160 hentai movies, 60+ other anime (mostly Tenchi Muyo and Inuyasha, but a good smattering of Mecha too) and about a dozen manga (Naruto...I admit it...I subscribe to Shonen Jump). I can give up the DVDs...I swear....I can give 'em up any time I want....

Known Stranger
Regular Poster

Post by Known Stranger »

BABYCARD'S SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ADORABLE *trips the sultan*
I am the insane sketch of a raven on the blackboard in violet chalk,
The blood on the roses, and the shadow that walks,
I am the Mad Hatter, Drinking tea, Killing time,
I am the voice that you hear in your mind.

Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Post by Chaos Priest »

While at first Alucard knowing that much about something like laundry took me by surprise, it made perfect sense once I stopped to rationalize, er, think about it. In Dracula when Jonathan went to Dracula's castle despite the run down exterior appearance the inside was very well kept, or rather, the areas Jonathan was meant to see were. The rest of the castle and Dracula's other lairs tended to look like they hadn't seen a duster in over a century, but the clean appearance of the public side of the castle shows that Dracula was indeed quite good at cleaning. For that matter, Dracula also made Jonathan's bed and cooked all of his meals while he was there as well. Alucard being a skilled homemaker might seem odd at first, but in fact it is completely in character.

Wait a second, that's how Shojocard can get her beloved Integra-sama to notice her. Make him a feast that he will never forget! While the best way to a man's heart might be through the ribcage with a battle axe, the second best way is through his stomach. Once Shojocard shows Integra-sama how good a wife she can be he'll forget all about that Laura tramp. Of course, this is assuming that the character inversion Shojocard represents doesn't extend to her cooking abilities. If she were to be a victim of the occasional female anime character curse of near-lethal cooking, an attempt to knock Integra-sama of his feet with cooking might become literal.

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Chaos Priest wrote:While the best way to a man's heart might be through the ribcage with a battle axe, the second best way is through his stomach. Once Shojocard shows Integra-sama how good a wife she can be he'll forget all about that Laura tramp. Of course, this is assuming that the character inversion Shojocard represents doesn't extend to her cooking abilities.
You know something? Shoujocard would probably just go with the first part of that - "The way to a man's heart is . . . through his ribcage with a battle axe!" But then she'd be endearingly clumsy at it, and fail, and be sad. And then Laura would do the same thing, only be elegant and graceful about it.

(But eventually Laura's Evil Ways would be exposed, and Shoujocard would save the day!)

Gunpowder

Post by Gunpowder »

So what's a paladin's favorite video game?

Halo
*rimshot*

*crickets*