Strip discussion: Halloween storyline

For questions about, comments on, and other assorted discussion of all things Shine-y.
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Strip discussion: Halloween storyline

Post by SailorPtah »

Apparently I won't be ready to make new discussion threads every week. So I'll just do them for storylines. (If anyone else wants to take up the job of making discussion threads - feel free!)

That said: The Halloween storyline! I'm sure you'll all figure out where I'm going with it from the first strip. Good idea? Bad idea? Scary idea? Brilliant idea? So wrong and yet so right, so right and yet so wrong, or just plain blah?

And should I repeat it at any point?

Talk to me =)

Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Post by Chaos Priest »

The Halloween storyline is going to be a Hellsing/Scooby-Doo crossover? :o

I'm not sure if this is going to be a gift from the heavens to nerds everywhere or a sign of the apocalypse.

Athos
Regular Poster

Post by Athos »

Oh dear...I suppose this was inevitable. But wouldn't that group be in their late thirties at the youngest by now?

I seem to remember an episode of the old Ghostbusters cartoon where they went to either England or Scotland and had to clear a castle of ghosts. They caught the wrong one and released an entire ghost army or something like that.

Gunpowder

Post by Gunpowder »

roh ro shaggy.

This also got me thinking, what's a vampire's metabolism like? They drink blood and I don't think they go to the bathroom much, so it has to be digested some how. I ask just because I imagine Alucard pulling a Morbo if he bites Shaggy.

Alucard: They call them fingers but I have never seen them fing. OH there they go.

Oh, I vote in favor of so right yet so awesome.
Athos wrote:Oh dear...I suppose this was inevitable. But wouldn't that group be in their late thirties at the youngest by now?
You wouldnt have had to catch the scooby do spoof on venture bros on adult swim did you?

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Athos wrote:Oh dear...I suppose this was inevitable. But wouldn't that group be in their late thirties at the youngest by now?
Depends. The original Scooby-Doo ran decades ago, but the latest incarnation (I think it would be "What's New, Scooby Doo?") takes place Today. Ditto for the movies, as far as I know.

If you think Hellsing has confusing conflicting continuities, Scooby Doo has several dozen versions =P

If I had any one in mind that the Shineverse incorporates, it would be "A Pup Named Scooby Doo". That was a wonderful, wonderful show. (Featuring the characters as kids, it fleshed out their backgrounds and personalities a bit more - particularly the otherwise generic Fred and Daphne.)

Mobius Soul

Post by Mobius Soul »

I always though of Scooby as working like James Bond or superhero comics or similar--the episodes come one after another, and they all happen now, now being whenever you view them. As for Scooby/Shine, if they're Shine-ized them in reverse the same way as was done to Madeline--instead of making a horrific thing funnier, making a funnier thing more horrific--it could be great.

o/* If you wonder how they eat and breathe, and other science facts... o/*
We can dance if we want to/And if we don't, then nobody will

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Mobius Soul wrote:I always though of Scooby as working like James Bond or superhero comics or similar--the episodes come one after another, and they all happen now, now being whenever you view them.
Superhero comics actually attempt some kind of continuity. Their attempt to do that and stay relevant involves loads of retconning and revising. It's fun to watch.

I understand the analogy, though, and James Bond is a good way to put it. "They all happen now."

That's what Shine often feels like, come to think of it. Because it's so continuous, though, I'm trying to establish distinct dates for the events. (But not very hard.)

Known Stranger
Regular Poster

Post by Known Stranger »

:twisted: thats good,I wonder what Alucard'd think about only being a book XD
I am the insane sketch of a raven on the blackboard in violet chalk,
The blood on the roses, and the shadow that walks,
I am the Mad Hatter, Drinking tea, Killing time,
I am the voice that you hear in your mind.

Mavis
Regular Poster

Post by Mavis »

I wish I had that kinda front door security. No more encyclopedia salesmen.

Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Post by Chaos Priest »

Known Stranger wrote::twisted: thats good,I wonder what Alucard'd think about only being a book XD
Given that the Hellsing guidebook on hunting vampires is Dracula I imagine he is quite used to being thought of as just a character in a book.

HellsingFanatic

Re: Strip discussion: Halloween storyline

Post by HellsingFanatic »

SailorPtah wrote: That said: The Halloween storyline! I'm sure you'll all figure out where I'm going with it from the first strip. Good idea? Bad idea? Scary idea? Brilliant idea? So wrong and yet so right, so right and yet so wrong, or just plain blah?

Talk to me =)
BRILLIANT IDEA!!!

THIS IS F*CKING HILARIOUS!!! ROFFLECOPTER!!!!! XD!!!!!
Every strip you make should be a Hellsing/Scooby Doo crossover, because the last one was funny too.

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Re: Strip discussion: Halloween storyline

Post by SailorPtah »

HellsingFanatic wrote:Every strip you make should be a Hellsing/Scooby Doo crossover, because the last one was funny too.
Glad you approve!

It'll get old fast, though, I'm sure. There are only so many times you can say "meddling kids" before it stops being funny ^_~

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Post by Xuanwu »

Let me be the first to say: I look forward to your Velma. I always preferred her over Daphne for the obvious reasons (she's smarter and she has glasses).

I wish the fangirls were around to induce some Velma x Integra moments. Though given Velma's supposedly a lesbian in character (live-action movies contradict this, cartoon is ambiguous), her being attracted to Integra is certainly possible (because everyone is gay/straight for Integra!). I can see Freddie trying to remove Alucard's "mask" and getting his hand bitten off. XD

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Xuanwu wrote:Let me be the first to say: I look forward to your Velma.
Clearly, you know me too well.

Treeofthedead

Post by Treeofthedead »

this is awesome in oh so many ways. And let me just throw this out there Velma is the best. XD

Known Stranger
Regular Poster

Post by Known Stranger »

Lol.looks like they've learned their lesson about tours XD

Reeku
Regular Poster

Post by Reeku »

At first I was thinking "lolwtfh?"
But I think this will turn out to be truly hilarious. The fact that Freddie asked about tours was too good. XD

I cannot waaait to see what Shaggy and Scoobie do when they meet Alucard. x3

Known Stranger
Regular Poster

Post by Known Stranger »

I cannot waaait to see what Shaggy and Scoobie do when they meet Alucard. x3

what they usually do,they'll scream,Shaggy's hair will stand on end,Scooby will jump into Shaggy's arms,and they'll turn tail and run

Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Post by Chaos Priest »

Xuanwu wrote:I wish the fangirls were around to induce some Velma x Integra moments. Though given Velma's supposedly a lesbian in character (live-action movies contradict this, cartoon is ambiguous), her being attracted to Integra is certainly possible (because everyone is gay/straight for Integra!).
You know, I never really saw Velma as a lesbian. I know a lot of people say she is, but I just can't see it. I can see her as somewhat sexually repressed or inexperienced* but I just can't seem to imagine her with another girl. What exactly do people use as evidence for Velma's homosexuality?

Um... getting back to the topic of the crossover I am hoping we get to see Alucard having some fun chasing Shaggy and Scooby around and scaring the living daylights out of them. It's just too good an opportunity to pass up.

*Though as a 23 year old who has never even worked up the nerve to kiss someone this is a situation of the pot calling the kettle black :oops:

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Reeku wrote:The fact that Freddie asked about tours was too good. XD
I have been waiting years to use that joke ^_~
Chaos Priest wrote:You know, I never really saw Velma as a lesbian. I know a lot of people say she is, but I just can't see it. I can see her as somewhat sexually repressed or inexperienced* but I just can't seem to imagine her with another girl. What exactly do people use as evidence for Velma's homosexuality?
The Wikipedia entry says people cite her "butch" haircut and figure-concealing sweaters.

I don't buy the latter, personally, because she also wears a fairly short skirt.

I think it's mostly a case of "we think she's hot, therefore we think of her as a lesbian." Unfortunately, lesbians can be prone to this ^_^;

That said, I just finished watching the live-action Scooby-Doo movie (it's research, darnit!), and in the extras there's a scene in which pseudo-drunk Velma gets on a piano and sings "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You." And she is so hot.

...I'm done now ^_^;