By The Word

For questions about, comments on, and other assorted discussion of all things Shine-y.

Re: By The Word

Postby FelinaofL2 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:58 am

Ouch. At least she'll become even MORE awesome.

Sunday's strip: I know a lot of people are gunning (pun intended) for Lupin, but, well... As much as it'd be poetic justice to have a German-made Walther P38 take out Rip, I'm with Xuanwu: I REALLY wanna see my beloved ex-Chicago mafioso Jigen and his Smith & Wesson Model 19 duel her. The amount of sheer awesomeness would be INCREDIBLE. ... Then again, it might NOT be the master of disguise Lupin, and Erin might have fooled us all. :wink:
Gundam Wing has hot guys, kick-ass women and mechs. Hellsing has hot guys, kick-ass women and guns. ^_^ Ah, the joys of anime.
FelinaofL2
Regular Poster

Postby BigKwell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 am

FelinaofL2 wrote:Ouch. At least she'll become even MORE awesome.

Sunday's strip: I know a lot of people are gunning (pun intended) for Lupin, but, well... As much as it'd be poetic justice to have a German-made Walther P38 take out Rip, I'm with Xuanwu: I REALLY wanna see my beloved ex-Chicago mafioso Jigen and his Smith & Wesson Model 19 duel her. The amount of sheer awesomeness would be INCREDIBLE. ... Then again, it might NOT be the master of disguise Lupin, and Erin might have fooled us all. :wink:

But what about Goemon and Fujiko? And is Inspector Zenegata getting into the game as well?
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

"When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Postby BigKwell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm

(reads latest strip)

Sir Integra, I don't think OUCH qualifies for losing an eye!
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:39 pm

"Tis but a scratch!"

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mrrout on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 pm

at first i thought "carmen san diego!!!" this would be awesome!
but what would she do in Paris?
so this must be Lupin.

this lupin in anime form is known in France too, but curiously, not with this name. this must be a copyright reason. aniway, in France his name is Edgard, wich is a quite outdated name.
Mrrout
Regular Poster

Postby flyboy254 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Ah, so Integra is dead. Not what I was expecting, but I applaud the author for showing us that it's a one-in-a-million chance like surviving a bullet to the brain! Of course, this entirely wrecks the continuity of Eagle of Hermes, but I'm sure we'll find out exactly what happened.

Then again I know little of foresight. Now, where are my stocks in Google, I want to blow my nose on them.
Vampires can be exceedingly charming when they need to be. They will joke, cajole and flatter, and just when you think, "vampires aren't so bad," you've got a pair of fangs buried in your neck.

For those who still insist on treating vampirism as a romantic existence, consider the suicide note left behind by Jacob Drexel, member of a prominent Philadelphia family who was transformed in 1937. After Drexel leaped off the City Hall tower one snowy night, a suicide note was found that closed with the following lines: "I have been living in constant torment over the unspeakable acts I have committed, and yet I am powerless to stop committing them. May God forgive me."

- Dr. Hugo Pecos, FVZA Director Emeritus
flyboy254
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:19 pm

She's not dead, just resting! Pining for the fjords!

...Beautiful plumage.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby yamiangie on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:34 pm

flyboy254 wrote:Ah, so Integra is dead. Not what I was expecting, but I applaud the author for showing us that it's a one-in-a-million chance like surviving a bullet to the brain! Of course, this entirely wrecks the continuity of Eagle of Hermes, but I'm sure we'll find out exactly what happened.

Then again I know little of foresight. Now, where are my stocks in Google, I want to blow my nose on them.

I've seen anime characters seemingly shot in the eye and not die. Not that they ever explained how Kid wasn't dead from a bullet to the eye and falling out of the sky into Oaska Bay with out a scratch. Could have just hit the frames and broken the glass. The force would likely still knock her back and head wounds bleed like crazy. I'm guessing near death experience here.

And yeah Lupin III wasn't Lupin in some places because of copyright laws which have since lapsed.

oh and lol Xuanwu boyfriend is giving me a look now
yamiangie
Regular Poster

Postby KLCtheBookWorm on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:43 am

I don't care if it's near-death, mostly dead, or miraculously restored to life. Are we actually going to see Integra's mother?! :o
KLCtheBookWorm
Regular Poster

Postby Kazokuhouou on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:08 am

KLCtheBookWorm wrote:I don't care if it's near-death, mostly dead, or miraculously restored to life. Are we actually going to see Integra's mother?! :o

Oh good, I'm not the only one that thought that.
Kazokuhouou
Regular Poster

Postby FelinaofL2 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 am

Mrrout wrote:at first i thought "carmen san diego!!!" this would be awesome!
but what would she do in Paris?
so this must be Lupin.

this lupin in anime form is known in France too, but curiously, not with this name. this must be a copyright reason. aniway, in France his name is Edgard, wich is a quite outdated name.

It's because of the estate of the original Arsene Lupin's author. For a long time, Lupin III couldn't be called Lupin outside of Japan.

On topic: That's probably Integra's mom, or maybe her grandmother.
Gundam Wing has hot guys, kick-ass women and mechs. Hellsing has hot guys, kick-ass women and guns. ^_^ Ah, the joys of anime.
FelinaofL2
Regular Poster

Postby Xuanwu on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:45 pm

I wonder if Integra knows her mom was a prostitute? (Hirano has said she was - though this may not apply to the Shine-verse.) That makes for some awkward dialogue.

Integra: So...Mom...uh...

Mom: Yes?

Integra: ...How much did you did you charge dad?

Mom: Not nearly enough!

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby BigKwell on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Xuanwu wrote:I wonder if Integra knows her mom was a prostitute? (Hirano has said she was - though this may not apply to the Shine-verse.) That makes for some awkward dialogue.

Integra: So...Mom...uh...

Mom: Yes?

Integra: ...How much did you did you charge dad?

Mom: Not nearly enough!

(reads latest strip)

Uhhh... hate to nitpick, Xuanwu, but Integra would addressed her mother as 'Mum'. not 'Mom'.
Elwin "Blaine" Coldiron

Stephen W. Hawking
BigKwell
Regular Poster

Postby SailorPtah on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Xuanwu wrote:I wonder if Integra knows her mom was a prostitute? (Hirano has said she was - though this may not apply to the Shine-verse.) That makes for some awkward dialogue.

Dude, you're the one who suggested her Shineverse backstory. One would think you could remember it =P
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Xuanwu on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:31 am

SailorPtah wrote:Dude, you're the one who suggested her Shineverse backstory. One would think you could remember it =P

I know she's the daughter of Hakim. But that doesn't rule out her having been a prostitute/courtesan/consort when Arthur met her. I don't think I proposed many details beyond the lineage. (Also, that was a while ago!)

I'm surprised you didn't find any accusing Rick Perry of being gay, since that seems to be the current fake scandal circulating over the interwebs.

Also, did you pick that Ron Paul comment on purpose or at random? Catholics should indeed all vote for Ron Paul, because as Jon Stewart knows, he's awesome. (Gotta love Stewart's fanboy squees over Ron Paul every time he's mentioned. The upcoming TDS interview should be great.)

Of course, racists will be out of luck since he's a dedicated individualist and not a collectivist, meaning he's as opposed to racism as you get ideologically. But since the predominant form of racism in the country today comes from collectivist social justice action groups (examples: the white San Franciscans who called for Clarence Thomas to be lynched, the various anti-Tea Party folks who've harassed African-American and other minority liberty movement leaders across the country, Janeane Garofolo's bigoted comments about Herman Cain and Allen West, etc.), he wasn't going to get their vote anyway.

Racists of all stripes love bureaucracy since it gives them a comfortable authoritarian perch from which to make the lives of people who are different from them miserable (I saw this first hand in Massachusetts). So anyone who calls for personal responsibility and being accountable for your own actions is instantly their enemy. What helps is that some of them are too dumb to realize this, so they end up voting against their own interests. Unfortunately, this typically gets balanced by some of the anti-authoritarians who also vote against their own interests. (This actually dovetails nicely with the analysis of Bennett I made in the BICP thread if anyone cares to read it.)

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby SailorPtah on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:22 am

*sarcasm mode on*

Yes, Janeane Garofolo, that pillar of modern American racism! Can't think of a single other person in the country who's said such horrible things, especially not one with more name recognition and societal power than that mover and shaker, Janeane Garofalo, whose name I am completely sure I am spelling right because I see it so very often.

*sarcasm mode off*

Also, did you pick that Ron Paul comment on purpose or at random? Catholics should indeed all vote for Ron Paul...

Dude, when you agree with some part of what I've quoted off of a racist/misogynistic/homophobic/anti-Semitic website, you probably shouldn't enthusiastically second it and go on to revel in how non-racist/etc. such people are.

A more appropriate response would include something like "all the other stuff this site says is BS, and I wish these horrible people weren't on my side, but what can you do."
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby baobhansidhe on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:45 am

Wow, religious people scare me. This is why I stopped going to Church.
Fill The Moon on TVTropes! Fill The Moon and One Great Circle on Fanfiction.net!
Because I can't pimp my friend's fanfiction universe enough.
Banner and avatar by myself.
baobhansidhe

Postby Xuanwu on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:10 pm

SailorPtah wrote:Dude, when you agree with some part of what I've quoted off of a racist/misogynistic/homophobic/anti-Semitic website, you probably shouldn't enthusiastically second it and go on to revel in how non-racist/etc. such people are.

I also wasn't saying how non-racist those sites are, I was saying how non-racist Ron Paul and his supporters are. There's a difference. It's why I mentioned Jon Stewart's fanboy attitude toward him. Ron Paul has attracted support from a diverse spectrum (I've lost count of all the ethnicities, orientations, and political affiliations I've met who get behind him), because his positions strike a chord in those who respect consistent principals and protecting liberty for individuals, such as the the freedom to practice religion and the freedom to marry who you want.

To expand on my comment: all Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. should vote for Ron Paul because he's one of the few that wants to make sure they can keep being Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. however they please with no interference from on high.

(If you're wondering, "But how are Catholics and Protestants being interfered with from on high?" then check out the current controversy in Houston where the Veteran Affairs Military Funeral Director is barring references to Jesus by pastors. The attempts at interfering with Muslims in TN and NYC are more commonly known and equally deplorable. Ron Paul opposes both, while other politicians tend to go for one or the other.)

A more appropriate response would include something like "all the other stuff this site says is BS, and I wish these horrible people weren't on my side, but what can you do."

Which is totally why you replied in this fashion when I pointed out multiple examples of racism from people who purport to be allied with "your side" and not contrite sarcasm just like I did. :)

That was the whole point of the follow-up paragraph, in which I described how racists are out of luck if they support Ron Paul. This isn't new - a few nutters came out of the woodwork back in 2008 and they were appropriately mocked and shunned. For example, one KKK guy donated a few hundred dollars, so Ron Paul just shrugged and spent it on supporting a cadre of liberty candidates (which included minorities). I'm actually surprised they're still at it given Paul's solid economic support for minority business owners over the decades, though it makes sense since being a racist is not associated with good critical thinking skills. :lol:

I was also arguing that, among people who espouse racist theories and engage in racially charged accusations and stereotypes, it's types like Garofalo and Sheila Jackson Lee (the TX representative of the district I live in) who are more prevalent. They think they can't possibly be racist because they support "social justice." ("But I'm a cheerleader" becomes "But I'm a progressive.") And then you get groups of them together calling for any minorities who disagree with them to be lynched. *facepalm*

I only go on about them so much because you never seem to acknowledge they exist or, as your sarcastic response indicated, take them seriously. (Garofalo, I admit, can be dismissed pretty quickly; I mentioned her mainly because it was a recent example committed by a high profile left-winger.) Your own incredulity at the thought that there are just as many racists on the left as on the right is the kind of thing that has caused the left to become so widely infested with bigotry over the years, to the point where that's where most of it comes from these days in American politics.

In other news, this has given me a great idea: Ron Paul as Alucard, fighting the monsters who threaten our liberties at the behest of his master, Lady Liberty. Obama as Dandy, Cheney as the Major, Hillary as Zorin, Romney and Perry as Luke and Jan, Palin as Rippy, Bernanke as Doc, etc. (It doesn't mesh perfectly, but the imagery is cool.)

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Postby SailorPtah on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:14 pm

The difference is that I don't compulsively reply with four paragraphs about my political ideology whenever Janeane Garofolo's (or anyone else's) name is mentioned.

Whereas you are invested enough in Ron Paul to tl;dr the hell out of completely unrelated messageboards, and ignore all the signals that, seriously, nobody here cares.

Please, let the subject change now.
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Postby flyboy254 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:01 pm

Near death instead of insta-kill. Well, that's what happens when you use nearly sixty year old powder and weapons.
Vampires can be exceedingly charming when they need to be. They will joke, cajole and flatter, and just when you think, "vampires aren't so bad," you've got a pair of fangs buried in your neck.

For those who still insist on treating vampirism as a romantic existence, consider the suicide note left behind by Jacob Drexel, member of a prominent Philadelphia family who was transformed in 1937. After Drexel leaped off the City Hall tower one snowy night, a suicide note was found that closed with the following lines: "I have been living in constant torment over the unspeakable acts I have committed, and yet I am powerless to stop committing them. May God forgive me."

- Dr. Hugo Pecos, FVZA Director Emeritus
flyboy254
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to And Shine Heaven Now