the box

Postby The Molasses on Mon May 28, 2001 4:06 am

i wanna know what the real story behind the box is, because i am the cat the curiousity killed.<P>also, i love your comic. i'm a big fan of noir, so this is definitely up my alley. i can't wait to see more of your stuff.
The Molasses
Regular Poster

Postby Screwball McGoo [gDC] on Tue May 29, 2001 12:54 am

Hey, guys, let's give Tim a hand for his amazing secret! Heck, why don't we all just hold our applause. There! That's the sound of one hand clapping.<P>I had to go back and, yes, I thought it was unbelievably nifty the way you managed to openly show us the secret if only we had the brains of Stephen Hawkins. Tricky drawing... There's a good reason why it fooled David.<P>The pacing on the revelation is particularly interesting. You didn't choose to make it the climax. Rather it was almost brushed aside and when I had to go back and reread it, I felt as though <B> I </B>had discovered it was a hand.<P>Bravo and good luck on the reorg.<P>------------------
<A HREF="http://www.keenspace.com/forums/Forum33/HTML/000067.html" TARGET=_blank>Chocobos vs. Yoshis</A>: Versus #5!
Screwball McGoo [gDC]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tim Broderick on Tue May 29, 2001 5:42 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Screwball McGoo [gDC]:
<B>Hey, guys, let's give Tim a hand for his amazing secret! Heck, why don't we all just hold our applause. There! That's the sound of one hand clapping.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ROFL!<P>But thanks guys, I really appreciate the support and comments.<P>This is a true story:<P>Back in 1985, when I was working for the Southtown Economist on the night copy desk, we had a big Polish guy named Rich working as the police reporter. Back then, some of the area suburbs were pretty corrupt - with prostitution and drugs around plus a couple of unsolved murders being covered up. The cop reporter couldn't be a shrinking violet.<P>So when Rich walked in one evening shaking his head, we knew something was up. We gathered around him and this was the story he told:<P>An old guy walked into a hardware store (yeah I know, stop the presses), asks to use the washroom and heads back there. The clerk doesn't think much of it until some time passes. He gets a little concerned and goes back to check on the old man. After he finds no one in the washroom, he notices a dull, thumping sound. Doesn't know what it is, so he follows the sound. Gets to the counter where the knives and axes are and what he sees freaks him out pretty good: the old man, holding an axe in his left hand, is chopping off his right hand WITHOUT UTTERING A SOUND.<P>Cops, amulance and all that came. I never knew what happened to that old guy, but a few of us wondered if he'd done something awful with that hand and he'd just gotten to the point where he had to cut it off.<P><P>------------------
Tim Broderick
Someday, all jobs will be<A HREF="http://oddjobs.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank> Odd Jobs</A>
Tim Broderick
Regular Poster

Postby Somebody Strange on Tue May 29, 2001 8:55 am

Wow, Tim.<P>I just re-read the archives from Day One, completely through to the end. What a story!<P>I agree that I'd like to know a little of the backstory behind the box, if you aren't holding on to the idea of the open mystery with a deathgrip. If you can somehow work that into an upcoming story, I'd be thrilled.<P>BTW, Tim, you've got my nominations for Best Male Character: David DiAngelo and Best Dramatic Comic in the Cartoonists' Choice Awards. Hopefully we'll see you in the finalists.<P>--Strange/Dave<P>------------------
<A HREF="http://viciouslies.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Vicious Lies.</A> You can't handle the truth.
Neurotic -- sane, but unhappy about it.
Somebody Strange
Regular Poster

Postby Screwball McGoo [gDC] on Wed May 30, 2001 2:03 am

...and we wonder how you could write such a dark comic. <P>Sheesh. ::eyes wide::<P>------------------
<A HREF="http://www.keenspace.com/forums/Forum33/HTML/000067.html" TARGET=_blank>Chocobos vs. Yoshis</A>: Versus #5!
Screwball McGoo [gDC]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tim Broderick on Wed May 30, 2001 2:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Screwball McGoo [gDC]:
<B>...and we wonder how you could write such a dark comic. <P>Sheesh. ::eyes wide::<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was always in the office, but I heard the stories. The worst one happened to a girl reporter I dated at one time before this particular incident. She wanted a look at a crime scene and talked her way into a house to look out the upper story back window.<P>Unfortunately, the crime was the killing of a little girl and her body had been sitting out in this wooded area for a while. So the animals had gotten at her. <P>The reporter said she was OK, but her eyes were really wide open all night, even at the bar we'd gone to later that night. <P>I've never had the pleasure of seeing a body in person, but I've viewed autopsy photos and have studied a police book on homicide - fully illustrated. I also own the complete reprints of Tales from the Crypt. I can tell you, the comics just don't compare to images of the real thing. I can only imagine how the images compare to the really real thing.<P>Sweet dreams...
<P>------------------
Tim Broderick
Someday, all jobs will be<A HREF="http://oddjobs.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank> Odd Jobs</A>
Tim Broderick
Regular Poster

Return to Odd Jobs