Congratulations on the move up!

Remi
Regular Poster

Post by Remi »

Congrats, Tim. I was wondering if you had seen the moderntales post on eCartoonists, because it seemed like exactly what you were looking for! I'm a little sad to see that I won't be able to read Odd Jobs back-strips at my leisure, but I'll be happy to shell out the measly sum needed to read such a cornucopeia of quality comics. Any plans to distribute 'Something to Build On' as a PDF book in addition to a hardcopy one? Does it feel like you're finally moving into 'the bigtime'? What sort of exposure do you expect Odd Jobs to get through Modern Tales (besides being next to some more well-known names)?<P>Here's to hoping the gamble pays off.

BoxJam
Cartoon Hero

Post by BoxJam »

Yes - congratulations.<P>*If* I do get a subscription to ModernTales, which I *might* - it will be entirely because of Odd Jobs.<P>------------------
<A HREF="http://www.boxjamsdoodle.com/" TARGET=_blank>BoxJam's Doodle</A> - the ballast
that keeps <A HREF="http://www.altbrand.com/" TARGET=_blank>Alt Brand</A> down.

Tim Broderick
Regular Poster

Post by Tim Broderick »

Thanks guys. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, with the boards going up and down and all.<P>Thanks for the support! I've heard from Clint Hollingsworth, but not many others. I think it's going to be pretty cool. This is what the new economy is all about. Might as well give it a try. The worst that will happen is my readership will go up and I'll be back offering everything for free here on Keenspace.<P>Remi, I'm definetely offering it as an ebook. I'm actually going to a training seminar on Acrobat 5 which will show me how to do that.<P>All a grand adventure.<P>Regards, Tim

Shepherd
Regular Poster

Post by Shepherd »

Congratulations, Tim!<P>I have a moderntales question, actually -- did they approach you, or you them? I'm thinking about pitching them, but wondering if it's worth the effort or if I'd be lost in the shuffle.<P>- Matt<P>------------------
Matt Shepherd, Writer
<A HREF="http://manmancomics.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Man-Man Comics</A>

Tim Broderick
Regular Poster

Post by Tim Broderick »

On 2002-02-15 08:25:00, Shepherd wrote:
Congratulations, Tim!<P>I have a moderntales question, actually -- did they approach you, or you them? I'm thinking about pitching them, but wondering if it's worth the effort or if I'd be lost in the shuffle.<P>- Matt<P>------------------
Matt Shepherd, Writer
<A HREF="http://manmancomics.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Man-Man Comics</A>
Actually, I was in on the discussions from the beginning. This all grew out of a Comicon thread I was participating in. Joey Manley invited me and a number of other people to discuss a site. It's just grown from there.

There's still a lot to do to to get the site up and running. I'd say wait a few months. I think he's really swamped with requests.

And there's no guarantee of success on this thing either. I hope it is successful, which I define as the subscribers cover the cost of startup and hosting. Profit would be gravy, but that might not happen for a few years.

We'll see.

Regards, Tim

Shepherd
Regular Poster

Post by Shepherd »

Cool. Thanks, Tim! It seems like an interesting venture, for sure. A "couple of years" seems a bit pessimistic as far as a profitability forecast goes...or maybe not. I'm a doofus when it comes to this computermificatin' stuff.

I've been away from OJ until recently, so I'm just catching up now. Whatever happened to your book club idea?
Matt Shepherd, Writer
Man-Man Comics
The License
Deadies

Tim Broderick
Regular Poster

Post by Tim Broderick »

On 2002-02-18 12:06, Shepherd wrote:
I've been away from OJ until recently, so I'm just catching up now. Whatever happened to your book club idea?
Never took off. I'm reading LA Confidential right now. Seriously hardboiled.

Regards, Tim

Remi
Regular Poster

Post by Remi »

So . . . when's Odd Jobs getting posted to Modern Tales? I wanna re-read the backstory, dangit! I understand that the server mess slowed things up a bit, but there's a dearth of long-term content there right now, so Odd Jobs needs to tip the scales for 'comics with more than one or two entries'. Overall, I've been really impressed, though. And hey, I signed up, so i'm all official and stuff.

Tim Broderick
Regular Poster

Post by Tim Broderick »

On 2002-03-09 20:27, Remi wrote:
So . . . when's Odd Jobs getting posted to Modern Tales? I wanna re-read the backstory, dangit!
Hey Remi! Joey's been taken to a mental instatution raving incoherently ever since he got all the Narbonic strips up :wink:

Odd Jobs should be up some time later this week. Hey, I'm really excited about Cat Garza's stuff - true folk tales in comics form = too cool!

Regards, Tim

Cayetanogarza

Post by Cayetanogarza »

thanks, tim! i'm totally honored by your compliments!!

Remi
Regular Poster

Post by Remi »

I have checked out all of Modern Tales offerings and have been quite pleased. I agree that Cuentos de la Frontera looks like it's going to be really cool. Bitten Apple, and Vicious Souvenirs (more for the sharp writing and excellent Flash implementation than the art) are the other standouts for me. American Born Chinese feels like something that should update more than once a week. Modern Tales also introduced me to Narbonic and Makeshift Miracle, neither of which I had checked out before. I mean, basically I read everything that's posted, and have enjoyed the vast majority of the series. I could just go on and on.