We can haz map?

Forum for discussing the Hazard's Wake webcomic and all of those crazy characters and storylines. Comments and questions welcome! How's my webcomic(k)ing?

We can haz map?

Postby Antonymous on Sun May 24, 2009 7:12 am

So where are the various places in relation to each other? I don't think Haz has shown us a map of the world yet, but we can reconstruct a lot of it from clues in the comic.

Let's start with Zera, as many of the characters would. It includes Cydonia and of course Quadragulia. Nephilim Tower is on an isle north of Quadragulia. Acidra is close enough to Zera to fight a war in. Lortia is within coach distance of Quadragulia, and is on the Lariel Ocean. Uiraray is 2 days west of Lortia, so Lortia probably isn't on the west coast.

Sata Andagee is far away from Nephilim Tower, so it might not even be on the same continent as Zera! We don't know much else about its location. Mt. Slaedro is two days away, and Titan's Spleen is within three days. Shirande's Northern Keep is near Titan's Spleen, which suggests Shirande and Santaj are southish. If Sata Andagee is temperate, this suggests it's in the northern hemisphere (if this is even a planet).

We don't know where Atrane is - maybe near Sata Andagee. To its south are Basilisk, Radon, orcs, and an ocean. To its north is Duradormir. Emmaghe is "eastern" but not necessarily close. Unfortunately none of these places are mentioned anywhere else.

Lariel Ocean seems to be in the middle of things, which is annoying since it's so hazardous to cross. Maple's first ship in Lariel when it was destroyed, and she washed up on Shiori Beach. The second time, after the Krakenhead attack, she wound up on the same beach again. So the Krakenhead is in Lariel, and the prevailing winds are toward Haato. The Krakenhead is also in Lortian waters, so the Lariel Ocean is adjacent to both Haato and whatever continent Lortia is on. Since Lortia has the Anoeith ships, it's probably close to the Altass Ocean too.

Haato Continent contains Shiori Beach, the Temple of Mirrors, and Seaside Town Hamasho. It's (sub)tropical, because it has palm trees. Inverse Babel (where So Damn Evil was found) and Durend (where Araceli was captured) are within a few weeks' sailing, so they might also be on Haato.

We know the continent of Yahnisil is across the Altass Ocean. Vinecliff is on the coast, and not the east coast, because the Forbidden Region is east of it. That it's on the way to the Forbidden Region suggests Yahnisil is eastish of Zera.

And then there's the sealed lost northern continent, but we don't know what's there.

There are a lot of places for which I haven't noticed any location clues:
  • Dianolva
  • Eikard (whence Aileen)
  • Saint Leon (whence Fatima)
  • Durac Colony (whence Fluffy)
  • Warplaiait, or however it's spelled (whence Path)
  • Gigas' Gallbladder
  • If Zeanogia is a place as well as a tradition of dark ETHER, it's near Gigas' Gallbladder.
  • Guarandoo (of the ship Defagitable) might be a place.
  • Zaagor Pyramid might not even be in the same world.

But we can guess that Lariel is between Haato and Zera-land, with Haato on the equatorial (south?) side. Altass and Yanihsil are most likely eastish. Sata Andagee's continent probably spans the north temperate-subtropical latitudes.

How much of this is right?
Antonymous
Regular Poster

Re: We can haz map?

Postby Furikku on Tue May 26, 2009 11:08 am

Antonymous, you own.
Furikku
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Tue May 26, 2009 11:12 am

Whoa, man, you're really observant! :D Most of the stuff in your post is pretty spot on. I have some maps I drew years ago that aren't completely accurate to the story anymore, but I haven't compiled a real world map.

I'll get to work putting together a world map to post here, but in the mean time would you like to see some of the incorrect old maps?
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Wed May 27, 2009 7:18 am

Actually, scratch posting the old incorrect maps, as I've finished the new worldmap.

The Hazard's Wake World!

The big red text is the continents, and the blue are nations. I'll work on a map with the individual locations next! ...Man, the planet itself probably needs a name, too ^^;;
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Wed May 27, 2009 9:42 am

And here's a complicated map of all the locations. Man, I hope I didn't forget anything ^^;;

The Big Version with Locations!
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Antonymous on Fri May 29, 2009 5:13 pm

Ooh! It's islandier than I expected. And bigger.

Daraskus looks like a big hole in the world. I guess this settles the question of what Inverse Babel means - it must be a place where a hole was dug with its bottom in Hell, not a place where languages were unconfused.

I can't find Talon's tower. Maybe it's a secret.

Is Durac Colony full of other Fluffies?
Antonymous
Regular Poster

Postby Furikku on Fri May 29, 2009 5:35 pm

Antonymous wrote:Is Durac Colony full of other Fluffies?

*o*

FLUFFY PARADISE!!!!!
Furikku
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Fri May 29, 2009 8:12 pm

You should really just put this on the comic website. Possibly as an easter egg on some page somewhere.
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Fri May 29, 2009 8:30 pm

Antonymous wrote:Daraskus looks like a big hole in the world. I guess this settles the question of what Inverse Babel means - it must be a place where a hole was dug with its bottom in Hell, not a place where languages were unconfused.

Yeah, though who built it, and if it really goes to hell are still unknown. Though with all the deadly monsters infesting the place, it's not very well explored. The upper regions are sometimes looted for treasure by really daring explorers.

Antonymous wrote:I can't find Talon's tower. Maybe it's a secret.

It's on the diamond-shaped island between Zera and Haato. I forgot to label it ^^;;

Antonymous wrote:Is Durac Colony full of other Fluffies?

Possibly.

Germ wrote:You should really just put this on the comic website. Possibly as an easter egg on some page somewhere.

I will eventually. For now it's a bonus for forum goers. ...Not that there are many right now.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Return to Hazard's Wake