To Redraw or Not to Redraw

Forum for discussing the Hazard's Wake webcomic and all of those crazy characters and storylines. Comments and questions welcome! How's my webcomic(k)ing?

To Redraw or Not to Redraw

Postby Hazardswake on Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:58 am

On occassion, a webcomic author will look at his old comics at the begining of his archives and say, "Gee, this old stuff sucks" or "This could look better."

I've always avoided even thinking about redrawing my old stuff because 1) I've wanted to leave it to show how I've improved and 2) eventually, my style may have improved so much that the remade old comics look poor in comparision.

Now, however, I'm thinking that perhaps I should think of redrawing the old old strips, keeping a link to their originals available so the originals won't be gone. This wouldn't effect the updating of new comics at all, and I'd do it at a slow pace, most probably.

So, what does everyone think? Good idea? Bad idea? And do you have any opinions on, if I choose to do it, exactly where I stop remaking them? Should I remake 10 of them or 50 of them or what? Opionions are welcome ^_^
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Mordax Praetorian on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:13 am

To redraw will help pull in new readers, however doing so would slow down your work on the newer strips

If you do decide to redraw, I would stop where you added the shading, as this is the most notable update in style since the comic began
Serves 2, or 1 Mordax
Mordax Praetorian
Regular Poster

Postby Xerosomes on Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:42 pm

Personally, I would prefer if you kept the Original's in their rightful places, Then put the new ones in a link

^_^

But thats completly up to you ^_^
Xerosomes

Postby Hazardswake on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:18 am

Well, for now, I think I'll put the idea on hold. Just not sure how I feel about it now that I've taken time to think.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

But that's just because I'm neurotic

Postby Germ on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:33 pm

If I drew a comic, I would definitely redraw my beginning, but I'd have parallel archives, one of the old crap, one of the new crap, with the two of them converging wherever my last update was. Though it would be a concern that I might become too concerned with keeping old stuff up-to-date and neglect proper updates.
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:43 pm

My problem is that I keep finding little ways to improve, so I want to wait until I've gotten even better before redoing the old stuff.

I just want to avoid people not reading the earlier ones just because they don't look good enough, but I'm probably just worrying way too much.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Darth Cariss on Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:28 am

I say just don't do it all. Lets say you redrew the first five strips now, later on you would improve s'more and say "Man even my redraw wasn't good enough, I better redraw it again!" And it can keep going on and on, assuming you steadily improve.
Darth Cariss
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:38 am

An excellent point. Again, however, my goal in redrawing, in the chance that I do ever decide to do it, is not to have it consistant with my best art, but just not "painfully bad" so new people will be more likely to read the old stuff. Then again, I cannot judge my own art acurately, so I dunno how good or bad it is.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Overture on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:26 pm

This comic is more about the Satire and words.
If you feel the need to redo the comics at the start, go ahead. But remember the loyal readers will be reading not looking.
Overture

Return to Hazard's Wake