[HWRP] Chapter 1 - Enter the Castle Demuirge

Forum for discussing the Hazard's Wake webcomic and all of those crazy characters and storylines. Comments and questions welcome! How's my webcomic(k)ing?

[HWRP] Chapter 1 - Enter the Castle Demuirge

Postby Hazardswake on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:55 am

((OOC: This RP is OPEN to all who wish to join. Simply post your character info here and have the character arrive at the Caste Demiurge by posting in the latest thread. If the charas are away from the castle, PM me. If you have any questions, PM me. The HWRP FAQ thread is also useful, for both questions and answers, and please read the rules as well. They aren't strict or anything :P))

Deep in the heart of the continent of Acidra, they gathered. Past the war-torn ruins of the former city of Liagg, past a small patch of desert, past a patch of trees, in the low, rolling mountains lies an ancient castle, obscured from view by tall trees and overhanging cliffs, it is covered by a thin fog.

Past the main gates, a man-made moat lies. Two fountains carved to look like towering dragons rise out of the moat, spouting water from their fanged mouths. A sturdy draw bridge lies open, leading the way to the large double door entrance. The walls have an aged-ivory look to them, but are actually made of an unknown substance, hard and un-dent-able by normal force. The large wooden doors stand open, and a faint trail of fog leaks inside.

Inside, you see tall walls with large balconies hanging overhead. The walls are lined with huge mural-like carvings of dragons, battles, demons, and events lost to time. Soldiers in armor that hides their faces and features are posted here and there. There are half a dozen open doors, but one in the center stands out. It is the conference room, where those summoned here were said to meet. Inside waits Lord Yaldabaoth, patience in his eyes.

He had sent out letters and flyers to several individuals, promising generous payment for an unknown team he was assembling. Somehow, those involved almost seemed drawn to join.
Last edited by Hazardswake on Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:46 am

Two women crossed the drawbridge. The shorter one led the way, left hand behind her back and right clutching a piece of paper; the taller, a pace or two behind, looked about warily.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" the tall one said, toying with her locket. Her voice normally had a rich, thoughtful quality to it, but it wavered a bit as she spoke.

The shorter, still keeping her left hand behind her back, released part of the paper and gave it a shake. It unfolded, Lord Yaldabaoth's insignia now visible. She skimmed the letter, frequently looking up at her surroundings as she did so. "Looks like it, M." She glanced back. "Lord Almighty, Millie, you look jumpy. What's up?" Her voice was lower than Millie's and had a faint, indistinct accent, made that way through years of careful practice.

"...This place creeps me out. It's not like I feel an evil aura or anything here, Jenn, but it's just that I--" Millie jumped as a wolf suddenly bayed in the distance*. Jenn tensed slightly.

"I don't know whether to trust my mind or my eyes..." Millie finished, now gripping her locket tightly.

"'I don't know--' Oy! M., you're too bloody nervous when we travel!"

"S-sorry..."

Jenn took a deep breath, then let it out. She spoke slower than the outburst just then. "Don't be sorry, M. You've done plenty good with that head of yours. Just... trust yourself once in a while."

"Right, s--yeah." Millie forcably stopped herself from apologizing again as they entered the castle.

*The wolf was later put down by a guy with impossible hair wearing a fake moustache for making the scene more generic than allowed by law.
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:18 pm

Keon approached the drawbridge, noticing the two ladies ahead of him. He adjusted his glasses, re-reading the letter he'd recieved to mask being uncomfortable with unknown people around.

Lord Yaldabaoth wasn't very well known. Keon thought about what little he'd heard about the man. Yaldabaoth apparently rules the land of Acidra almost in name only. After the war, Zera gained controled most of the land. Aside from that, not much is known about the man. He's rich, that's to be certain, but who is he?

Before he noticed, he had caught up to the two women, and was next to them near to the castle's inside entrance.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:54 pm

Hearing footsteps, Millie looked over to see a grey-haired man. She regarded him silently for a moment, just long enough for Jenn to note his approach and drop a step to get in line with Millie and the stranger. "Hullo," Jenn said lightly. Millie remained silent but gave the man a small smile.
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby Mordax Praetorian on Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:24 pm

Cautiously, Izis aproched the gate

This was the first time it had been near civilisation, it wore a grey, bloodied robe over the garb it had appeared in, and remained hooded, hiding its face

As it wandered through the gate, it became lost in what it saw around it, initialy attracted by the wonderous dragon fountains, and other beuatiful things it saw... but its eyes were drawn inexplicably to the ivory coloured walls

It walked the bridge, oblivious to the people or other entities around it, and simply stared at those walls

It wanted to look at the dragons, but it was almost as if something else wanted it to see the walls... or, wanted it to see the walls for them

They wanted it to break some of the material off with its claws, but it resisted, that would be a bad idea

it snapped out of its trance

------

Since its escape, Izis had been living in the wilderness, it had learned which berries were edible purely by trial and error, it had no idea how long it had been before it found the body in the stream

The body carried a letter, and a map to this place, and wore the blood stained robe it now wore

It knew about civilisation, though it did not know how, and its natural curiosity had driven it to follow the instructions and the map in the letter

Or was it curiosity?

It had felt strangely similar to the impulse to look at the wall, while curiosity would dictate that it look at the dragons
Serves 2, or 1 Mordax
Mordax Praetorian
Regular Poster

Postby Sisemen on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:35 pm

James approached the castle, ridding his on the back on a white stallion, supplies and gear for his trip from the coast behind him. The thin coat of dust on his clothes, as well as the state of his clothes showed that this had not been a short journey. However, he still stood straight on his horse, his stance proud.

As the castle came into view, he brought the his horse to a stop to take in the sight before him. Feeling the horse fidget slightly, he leaned forward to rub it's neck.

"I know I you feel Odyssey, I'm not too comfortable here as well. Too many mountains and a little too many unknowns for this to feel like a good idea. But I need the money." A smile crept on James face "And you, quite frankly, needed the exercise. You've been getting a little chubby."

Odyssey lightly stomped the ground with a short snort as James chuckled. Lifting his head as he continued to rub the horse's neck, James observed the castle, taking note of the style, the appearance and, just in case, any accessible escape routes. After a few more moments, James guided Odyssey back to a slow trot towards the castle gate. As the pair got closer to the drawbridge, James spotted those already at the castle.

Well, well, looks like we're just in time.
Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever
--Napoleon Bonaparte
Sisemen
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:52 am

"Hello, my name is Keon, a student of Galrand.*" Keon bowed. "I, well, recieved a letter and have come to meet this... Lord Yaldabaoth." I probably shouldn't have stopped and worried about telling them this.

---

*Galrand is a well-known academy on the Gattsu continent, south of Purin.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:07 am

Jenn smiled and nodded "I'm Jenn, and this," she stuck out a thumb, "is Millie."

Millie made a slight bow, smiling a little more. "Millicent. Er..." she hesitated, rushing what she next said, "...but you can call me Millie." Her expression mirrored her thoughts: I must have sounded pretty silly. She cleared her thoat. "Pleased to meet you."

Jenn held up the letter she held, as to indicate they shared a reason to be there. "We barely know anything about this... Lord." She very quickly hid a look of disgust at saying the title. "You know anything about this chap, Keon?" Admittedly, that was kind of a lie. Between the two of them, they had picked up a bit of common knowledge about Yaldabaoth, but it was still very little. Besides, she thought, it wouldn't hurt to make conversation.

Millie, meanwhile, felt an unusual presence. She quickly glanced around, noticing the cloaked figure staring at the wall. She must have caused it, Millie thought. She looks out of place... not from the castle. She tried sensing the figure's aura, her eyes shimmering lightly.

*Note: Millie is not making assumptions about Izis's gender, but is using "she" as a neuter pronoun.
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:11 am

"Well, he's supposed to be the ruler of Acidra, but almost seems even less than a figurehead. He doesn't seem to have much power, nor does he appear to the public. Seems very odd to me."

Keon thought for a second.
"Though, he has quite a reputation, or so the dean of Galrand says. Said he's a great man. I don't know what merits him such a title, though."
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:19 pm

Jenn put her (empty) hand to her eye and feigned rubbing it to hide an almost involuntary eyeroll. "A great man"? What a load of wank. The easily manipulated get appointed figurehead Lords. "I'll believe it if I see a reason to."

Millie looked over, eyes still shimmering. "If he's known as a great man, why is he a figurehead, though? Or less than one?"

Jenn's face darkened. Politics...
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby Sisemen on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:27 pm

James slowed his horse down as he approached the talking group, trying to listen in on the conversation as he observed them. He was both interested in hearing what they had to say about the summoning, and hopping to learn a little more about these people from their body language and spoken word.

When he got close enough to the group, James brought his horse to a half, climbed off and walked towards Jenn and Keon. Odyssey remained where he was, looking around.
--Napoleon Bonaparte
Sisemen
Regular Poster

Postby Mordax Praetorian on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:55 pm

Izis sensed an attempt on its mind, it looked about quite stunned and decided that this wasnt the best place for it to be

Without a word to anyone it wandered into the castle - or attempted to depending
Serves 2, or 1 Mordax
Mordax Praetorian
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:02 am

Keon shrugged. "I really don't know any details." Noticing Izis' advance, he added "Perhaps we should go ahead and meet with him."
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:22 pm

As Keon spoke, Millie's eyes ceased shimmering, and her face showed a hint of concern. She* blocked me. That rarely augurs well... She kept an eye on the cloaked figure. "I just found it odd..." She nodded at Keon's suggestion to meet the Lord, waiting for the others.

Jenn sighed. She looked around the area, obviously uninterested in discussing why Yaldabaoth was a Lord. Shortly she noticed the older-than-her man approaching. Ooh, not bad, she thought as she gave him a quick look-over. Now feeling a little less moody, she gave him a grateful smile. "Hi there, who are you?" she said, trying to keep her attitude on the previous conversation from showing here.

*Still used as neuter
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby Sisemen on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:41 pm

James returned Jenn's smile as she greeted him, giving a short, polite bow with his upper body as a greeting, also taking the opportunity to give her a quick and discreet once over. As he stood straight again, he extended his hand for a hand shake and answered her question.

"James Benenova, first officer of the Spring Winds. May I have the pleasure of your name?"
--Napoleon Bonaparte
Sisemen
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:57 pm

Jenn took James' hand to shake, keeping her smile. "Officer"? Hmm... hopefully merc or sailor or something. The less political, the better. "Nice to meet you, James. Call me Jenn. Now, I've never heard of the Spring Winds. What's that?"

Millie turned on hearing Jenn and James speak. She regarded the new man silently, wearing a small smile as she did when meeting Keon earlier.
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby Mordax Praetorian on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:19 am

Izis looked over its shoulder

Those people are following me

It stopped and turned around

"You apear to be following me" it stated
Serves 2, or 1 Mordax
Mordax Praetorian
Regular Poster

Postby Sisemen on Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:23 pm

James shook Jenn's with a confident grasp, his face brightening a little at her inquiry into the Spring Winds.

"Well, Lady Jenn, the Spring Winds is, simply put, one of the finest ships to sail the great waters. I don't think there's a sea or ocean it hasn't sailed on at one point or another. It's a vessel of Laieeyian design and it's been in my familly for a few generations now."

But for how long...

As he finsihed his last sentence, his cheery disposition wavered a little.
--Napoleon Bonaparte
Sisemen
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:00 pm

Jenn matched James' handshake grip, frowning when he called her Lady. "Just Jenn, please." She looked more interested at the mention of the ship. A question popped in her head as to why he seemed less cheery at the end, but Jenn chose to let it be. It's probably best not to get nosy so soon. I'll keep it in mind later, though. "A Laieeyian design? So you're a merchant?"

Millie started to suggest to Jenn that they meet Lord Yaldabaoth, but when she heard the cloaked figure speak, she froze, body tense and expression worried. She spoke... Was it because... oh God, I hope it wasn't because I tried sensing her aura... Wait, wait, what did she say... that we're following her? Millie turned to face the figure. "We... we're not f--er... where are you going? Perhaps it's a coincidence." Unsure if this was the "right" response to someone wearing a bloody robe, she looked at Keon, biting her lip.

*Whenever I do it, I'll keep saying that "she" used in reference to Izis is meant as a neuter pronoun
Last edited by Germ on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby Mordax Praetorian on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:36 am

Those odd suggestions in its head surfaced once again, they didnt like these people

"It's none of your..."

An idea suddenly occured to Izis

"Your following the map and the instructions as well, we're going to the same place"

Izis suddenly looked a lot happier, as the concept of friendship and allies surfaced within its mind

The suggestions were not impressed

"I am named Izis"

Unsure of proper social conduct, Izis neither bowed nor offered its hand, it simply stood there
Serves 2, or 1 Mordax
Mordax Praetorian
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Hazard's Wake