Top Twenties of 2006. Because you care.

The place where no good punk-asses and aimless hipsters come to discuss a rather lousy comic.

Postby Yeahduff on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:22 pm

Hey Cookie and Cricket, I think you guys would like M. Ward. He has this real timeless sound that remains fresh. Great voice and an excellent guitar player. And he kicks a surprising amount of ass live.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby PortableNuke on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:11 am

I'm horrible at these things with this year being the worst. I was gone half the year, and then moved from an area that had two wonderful college radio stations to one that only has Clear Channel. *shudder*

I have a big stack of stuff, but I'm not sure what year any of it's from.

I found Awesome Color and the Weirding Module which are both excellent. CSS also released a good album which I recommend picking up if anyone digs dancy electronic sounds, specifically stuff similar to Enon's "This City".

I was highly disappointed in the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, even though I do love Gold Lion, and the Flaming Lips this year.

I need to do a better job this year of keeping up.
PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:27 pm

A sample of M Ward for the curious. Cool animated video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToEPFDIzhNA

Let's Make Love, Listen to Death From Above and Alala by CSS are amazing. I may have to seek out this record.

YeahYeahYeahs' new record was a little disappointing, but I was expecting a whole lot to begin with. I thought it was great until you get to Sweets and Warrior, and those songs just kill the momentum of the record. But Gold Lion, Fancy, Phenomenon, Cheated Hearts, Mysteries are all so fucking good. I miss the chaos from Fever To Tell, but I think this was a strong follow up.

I heard bad things about the new Flaming Lips and absolutely horrible things about the new OutKast, so I didn't hear either one. The few singles I heard from OutKast were unimpressive and those were supposed to be the best tracks on the record, so it was with a heavy heart that I just skipped it altogether.
Yeahduff

Postby Col on Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:46 pm

Dangit, now I need to look into M. Ward now.
Col
Cartoon Villain

Postby Mo on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:32 am

Thanks for the M. Ward tip, Duff. You're good... I've just been checking out the video and then listened to some samples on Amazon and it really sounds like my cup of tea. :D Now I need to save money to buy records...

I shall now consult Yeahduff for all my new music discovering needs.
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby Chaos Cricket on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:52 pm

Yeah, I've heard decent things about M. Ward. Gonna have to check him out when I've got a little more expendable income.

Don't believe the negative press on the latest Flaming Lips record. It's freakin' brilliant, though it does lose some momentum towards the end.
~Chuck
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing."
~Kingsley Amis
Chaos Cricket
Regular Poster

Postby PortableNuke on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:27 am

It sounds like the really bad stuff Stereolab recorded, hid, and then burned to hide their shame.

It's been a while since I've listened to it, but I wasn't impressed. I'll have to dig it out, and listen to it again.
PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:34 pm

CSS. Alala.

Fun song. The videos a riot. Not for pacifists.
Yeahduff

Postby PortableNuke on Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:32 am

I finally got to check out the M Ward video since I'm not surfing at work. That is good stuff.
PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Eight to One