What was the best costume you saw this week?

The place where no good punk-asses and aimless hipsters come to discuss a rather lousy comic.

What was the best costume you saw this week?

Postby Giff on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:00 am

I was perusing a bunch of webcomics and seeing their Hallowe'en editions and particularily liked Nanda's page for Oct. 31st here ----> http://nanda.comicgenesis.com/

I also liked Charles as a Pinaeapple!

My favorite costume that I saw this weekend was by a singer of a death metal band ("Baptised in Blood") that I mixed, who was dressed as a fried egg with horns and a tail.
"...you see... your nirvana is kinda boring while my nirvana is so hot that not even Courtney Love could kill it" - Ghastly's Ghastly Comic!
Giff
Regular Poster

Postby PortableNuke on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:26 am

The best one was Johnny Depp as Hunter S. Thompson in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Dude nailed it.

Then there was a school girl costume I saw, but I'm not sure it was a costume.
PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Re: What was the best costume you saw this week?

Postby Mo on Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:32 am

Giff wrote:I was perusing a bunch of webcomics and seeing their Hallowe'en editions and particularily liked Nanda's page for Oct. 31st here ----> http://nanda.comicgenesis.com/

Yeah! :D
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby Giff on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:01 am

I like working at a bar for Hallowe'en where the girls will dress in a manner that shows off alot of leg, alot of midriff and a whole lot of cleavage and then wear a pair of bunny/cat ears!

I have a great time wondering half the night what they are supposed to be. ;)
"...you see... your nirvana is kinda boring while my nirvana is so hot that not even Courtney Love could kill it" - Ghastly's Ghastly Comic!
Giff
Regular Poster

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:32 am

I didn't see anything good.

There was this guy dressed up like keg. It was was "charming." I bet he's the guy that left the pile of diarrhea on the train platform.
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby PortableNuke on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:18 pm

I saw a guy dress up as a ring girl. He was pretty well built and wearing a hot pink bikini top and short denim dress. He also kind of looked like Kurt Cobain with the goatee and longish hair which was disconcerting; I initially thought he was Kurt from the In Bloom video.

Charles as a pineapple is great. He's the most depressed pineapple evar. That sounds like a children's book. "Charles the most depressed pineapple"
PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:23 pm

Heh heh. After years of struggling to become a serious novelist, Mary finally makes her break in children's books.

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:I didn't see anything good.

I seem to recall you seeing a girl going as a Carebear with a Carebear going as the girl, a banana, a pregnant angel, a sexy but not slutty tinwoman, and an IraGlassBot.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Giff on Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:20 am

Saw a thing on the news last night about some kid that got lit into by the general public for dressing up as Hitler! I mean, really?

Isn't Hallowe'en about facing the dark sides of humanity? The sin and the sinner? The things that scare us? It's not about dressing up as slutty nurses and shit like that (or in my perfect world... wouldn't be). Hitlers one of the scariest damned costumes I can think of! Last year I went as Charles Manson. Why? Cause he scares the shit out of ME! Also my beard was at the right shag, my hair was unkempt and I had a whack of temporary tatoos that I could use... it was quick easy and freaked people out... I was at a punk/emo show! ;)

Cool thing about the Hitler kid is that he said that he didn't regret it at all and his family (including a jewish step father) supported him.
Giff
Regular Poster

Postby Cryabetes on Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:14 pm

Speaking of going as what scares you, I went as 1991.
Cryabetes
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:04 pm

Tall hair, neon colors, Z Cavarricci?

Giff wrote:Isn't Hallowe'en about facing the dark sides of humanity? The sin and the sinner? The things that scare us? It's not about dressing up as slutty nurses and shit like that.

The slutty nurse is absolutely what Halloween is about. While yeah, it's about acknowleding our dark side, it's also about fantasy, about becoming something wild and crazy that's completely contrary to our natures but seems like fun. The children who dress up like vampires and werewolves certainly have a certain fear of those things, but also a fascination with them. You see one of these kids and they're giddy about being this fearsome creature. Same with the nurse. Normally such brazenness would be unthinkable, but once a year a girl might feel "Eh, what the hell." I don't think this kid needs to apologize to anyone, but I can't really get behind the costume because it implies, at least, a kind of endorsement of Hitler. It's not a particular part of evil that I would like to embody.
Yeahduff

Postby PortableNuke on Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:57 pm

Oooo... That's pretty good.

Giff wrote: It's not about dressing up as slutty nurses and shit like that (or in my perfect world... wouldn't be).

It could be argued that sexuality is something that lots of people are afraid of.

Dressing up as a Nazi is in bad taste. It's like saying that by using n*g**r it robs it of it's connotation. No, it just means that person is just making an excuse for his racism. If his family and him are fine with it, that's cool; he doesn't have to apologize for his actions. I just hope he understands why it's in poor taste. He may not take it seriously, but there are lots of people who do take those teaching seriously which is a problem. Another example I can think of is dressing up a middle schooler as school shooter.
PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Postby Giff on Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:54 pm

Why is Hitler more in poor taste than Manson? Why is Hitler more in poor taste than Dracula who feeds on everyday people to fit his own life requirements?

Why is Hitler more in poor taste than people that dress like Bush jr. or Nixon or A used tampon/condom (yeah... saw it!)... or Kurt Cobain with a seeping head wound (saw that too!)?

I haven't seen any of THOSE in the international news yet!!

...And answer me this? What is worse? South Park showing Steve Irwin at Satan's Hallowe'en party with a barb in his chest and not allowing him entrance because he was not in costume OR Bill Maher doing the same thing and not letting Satan dismiss the act?

hmmmmmm
Giff
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:05 am

Giff wrote:Why is Hitler more in poor taste than Manson? Why is Hitler more in poor taste than Dracula who feeds on everyday people to fit his own life requirements?

I would call Manson poor taste, though he doesn't have the enduring star power of Hitler. Dracula's a mythical being, and at this point is a cartoon.

Giff wrote:Why is Hitler more in poor taste than people that dress like Bush jr. or Nixon or A used tampon/condom (yeah... saw it!)... or Kurt Cobain with a seeping head wound (saw that too!)?

All of those are in poor taste. But Hitler has a special place in our hearts, as well as a devoted following. You're absolutely correct, though, that the fact that this is news is absurd.

Giff wrote:...And answer me this? What is worse? South Park showing Steve Irwin at Satan's Hallowe'en party with a barb in his chest and not allowing him entrance because he was not in costume OR Bill Maher doing the same thing and not letting Satan dismiss the act?
hmmmmmm

Haven't heard about this. What's the story?
Yeahduff

Postby Giff on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:19 am

duff wrote :"While yeah, it's about acknowledging our dark side, it's also about fantasy, about becoming something wild and crazy that's completely contrary to our natures but seems like fun."

Duff... the slutty nurse thing in MY city is almost 95.5% about where the party is going afterwards, than of what it was formed on!

As for Fantasy, the original Hallowe'en celebrations aren't about fantasy at all... perhaps the "mummer" celebrations of various societies are geared towards that; but hallowe'en is about the lost souls and the unholy... Hallowe'en itself is supposed to say "Hallowed Eve" which means roughly "Day before the Holy Evening" which is also known as "All Saints Day

There are so many different interpretations of what the holiday is really about... some religious... christian and pagan (Festival of Samhain for some) and then the more traditional which is really alot different these days than that which I knew as a kid.

Like St. Patricks Day and Christmas and Easter, Hallowe'en is just another day destined to be nothing more than a perpetual commercial cash cow. You can move lots of sugar based goods and alot of paper/plastic goods in no time at all.

So no... I don't equate the hot chick spook look to being lost souls etc.... I believe those types know exactly what they are seeking and where they are headed!

All in all,

Hallowe'en will never be the same again in my books!
Giff
Regular Poster

Postby Giff on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:23 am

here's a story B.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfg ... y_id=10421

anyone counting the shopping days to Christmas yet??
Giff
Regular Poster

Postby PortableNuke on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:52 am

Giff wrote:Why is Hitler more in poor taste than Manson? Why is Hitler more in poor taste than Dracula who feeds on everyday people to fit his own life requirements?

Why is Hitler more in poor taste than people that dress like Bush jr. or Nixon or A used tampon/condom (yeah... saw it!)... or Kurt Cobain with a seeping head wound (saw that too!)?

I haven't seen any of THOSE in the international news yet!!

...And answer me this? What is worse? South Park showing Steve Irwin at Satan's Hallowe'en party with a barb in his chest and not allowing him entrance because he was not in costume OR Bill Maher doing the same thing and not letting Satan dismiss the act?

Manson is a one off kook. Hitler inspired people to follow his teachings. That is the main reason. Dracula is an allegory about facets of the human psyche; he symbolizes some very repressed parts of us that we are afraid of. I'm convinced that Dracula is more about sexual impulses and how people try to suppress them more then anything else.

None of those decided that wiping out a race of people was the best idea on the planet. There are lots of things that are in poor taste, and some are more offensive then others.

Zombie Kurt! Did he have pregnant heroin user Courtney who was hanging allover the washed up rockstar Billy Corgon with him?

I'm not adverse to things that are offensive or in bad taste. They can be quite fun at times, and the screws do need to be tweaked every now and then. I'm just not going to endorse crimes against humanity, or racism for that matter, and I'd say the same thing about dressing up as Pol Pot, Joseph Stalin, and other mass murders.

No one really cares, and a certain country recently denied that the Holocaust ever happened. Normally it wouldn't be newsworthy, except on a slow news day, but antisemitism is kind of on the radar at the moment. He could have dressed up as an Arabic Suicide Bomber with a sign that said "Where the Jews at?", or he could have gone out in black face. That would been more original. Let's be honest, trotting out the corpse of Hitler for shock value is just kind of tired. If he wanted cliche he could have gone as a liberal. Vampire teeth, bloody hands, wire coat hanger, and a sign that said free condoms, free abortions.

I'm going to stop rambling now.

The last part confuses me. Could you explain it a little bit better?
PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:04 pm

Giff wrote:duff wrote :"While yeah, it's about acknowledging our dark side, it's also about fantasy, about becoming something wild and crazy that's completely contrary to our natures but seems like fun."

Duff... the slutty nurse thing in MY city is almost 95.5% about where the party is going afterwards, than of what it was formed on!

As for Fantasy, the original Hallowe'en celebrations aren't about fantasy at all... perhaps the "mummer" celebrations of various societies are geared towards that; but hallowe'en is about the lost souls and the unholy... Hallowe'en itself is supposed to say "Hallowed Eve" which means roughly "Day before the Holy Evening" which is also known as "All Saints Day

There are so many different interpretations of what the holiday is really about... some religious... christian and pagan (Festival of Samhain for some) and then the more traditional which is really alot different these days than that which I knew as a kid.

Like St. Patricks Day and Christmas and Easter, Hallowe'en is just another day destined to be nothing more than a perpetual commercial cash cow. You can move lots of sugar based goods and alot of paper/plastic goods in no time at all.

So no... I don't equate the hot chick spook look to being lost souls etc.... I believe those types know exactly what they are seeking and where they are headed!

All in all,

Hallowe'en will never be the same again in my books!

Doesn't matter where Halloween originated. It's interesting, for sure, but what we're talking about is what Halloween is now. If it were only about the dark side, it'd be more of an adult holiday, and children wouldn't really be involved.

I spent Halloween with the sweetest, most innocent catholic girl you'll ever meet. She was dressed as the ole fetish standby, the French maid. She wasn't interested in going home with anyone, and it wasn't a real extension of her real personality. I know a lot of girls who've done this, and most of them weren't anything resembling sluts in real life. Now, I'm sure plenty of people who put on sexy costumes are looking to score, but the point is that it's still rooted in fantasy, of playing a role that typically is either downplayed in your life or that you don't think is there.

But Halloween should be anything you want it to be. The commercial trappings are easy to dodge, and it's much more fun if you do.
Yeahduff

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:21 pm

Dracula was a real person.
TheSuburbanLetdown

Postby Yeahduff on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:45 am

Sure, but no one's really dressing as Vlad the Impaler, they're dressing as Bela Lugosi.
Yeahduff

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:27 am

I know one man that'd dress up as Vlad, and he's the same guy that was gonna dress up as a visagoth at our goth party that never happened.
TheSuburbanLetdown

Next

Return to Eight to One