Unending Predictions!

The place where no good punk-asses and aimless hipsters come to discuss a rather lousy comic.
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Post by Nanda »

Stevie makes me a happy woman.

Ratbert
Image Image

Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Post by Yeahduff »

The only drum solo I find palatable is the one on Time Out by Dave Brubeck Quartet, but it's almost not a solo. While he's just sorta doing stuff, it fits perfectly with the hypnotic piano and the general sparseness of the song. And it's not twenty minutes long (fuck you, Bonham!!!).

I should look into old Stevie Wonder records.

Sublet.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

One of the things I love about that solo in Take Five (Time out is the album) is that it was all intuition, and Joe Morello was able to draw from his amazing technique to play the right things. His single stroke rolls in that solo are so clean. He tried to replicate it at a different show and biffed horribly. Since then he has never tried to duplicate any solos and just goes off intuition. Even funnier, he didn't want to play "whore house music" (jazz). He wanted to be a classical percussionist but his eye sight was so poor he had trouble watching the conductor. Jazz was suggested to him as a child, and he went home and cried.

Speaking of solos, there's a long ass guitar solo on that Led Zeppelin live album you gave me that annoyed me so much that I said, "what the fuck!?", put down my brush, walked accross the room and changed the track. Actually, masturbatory guitar solos turned me off from rock music for the longest time. It wasn't until high school that I even gave rock a second look. Though I did like Rush and Green Day back in grade school. Even now I don't like guitar solos all that much.

I have a recording of Max Roach (another legendary jazz drummer) solo you may like called, "The Drum Also Waltzes." He plays a solo based in melodic ideas that is played over a waltz-like ositnato (an ostinato is a figure that repeats through the entire compostion).

duff

Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Post by Nanda »

yeahduff wrote:The only drum solo I find palatable is the one on Time Out by Dave Brubeck Quartet, but it's almost not a solo. While he's just sorta doing stuff, it fits perfectly with the hypnotic piano and the general sparseness of the song.
I love a good piano/drum combo. And yet I hate the White Stripes. Hm.

yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah duff!
Image Image

TheSuburbanLetdown

"Time Out" by The Dave Brubeck Quartet is an album everyone should own.

White Stripes are okay. I don't know enough of their stuff though.

nandabert

Orphevs
Regular Poster

Post by Orphevs »

Definately with you both on everyone should own time out and on Max Roach being painfully awesome. I feel like listening to some yellowjackets now. Jazz makes me a happy human being.

Subber, of the letty tribe, killer of many/two boars.
- Vik

Yeahduff

Post by Yeahduff »

Nanda wrote:I love a good piano/drum combo. And yet I hate the White Stripes. Hm.
It's like I don't even know you.

Nuke.

TheSuburbanLetdown

orphevs wrote:Definately with you both on everyone should own time out and on Max Roach being painfully awesome. I feel like listening to some yellowjackets now. Jazz makes me a happy human being.

Subber, of the letty tribe, killer of many/two boars.
I'm glad to see someone like the yellowjackets. A lot of snobby people say that isn't real jazz. I think it was Art Blakely that said, "There are only two differnt kinds of music: good and bad."

Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Post by Nanda »

yeahduff wrote:It's like I don't even know you.
Now, now. Compromise, man. If I can accept your strong dislike of "Fight Club," you'll just have to accept that I'm white-stripes-intolerant.

Nukebert
Image Image

TheSuburbanLetdown

The first 30 minutes of Fight Club were pretty good. Didn't like the rest of it though.

duffbert

Yeahduff

Post by Yeahduff »

Oh, Nanda, you know I love you even if you're wrong about Fight Club and The White Stripes.

Nanda.

Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Post by Nanda »

yeahduff wrote:Oh, Nanda, you know I love you even if you're wrong about Fight Club and The White Stripes.
Well, you certainly sound like every man who's ever professed to love me.

Art Spiegelman
Image Image

Orphevs
Regular Poster

Post by Orphevs »

theSuburbanLetdown wrote:A lot of snobby people say that isn't real jazz. I think it was Art Blakely that said, "There are only two differnt kinds of music: good and bad."
Yhea, I've definatley heard that before. I'm totally against any fan of music that's more concerned with looking cool and being in a selective "in-crowd" than in enjoying the massive variety of awesomeness that can be found out there and trying to share their wonderment with the uninitiated rather than excluding them for not being cool enough to have been exposed to it all already. But I'm just on the verge on rant here... time to cut myself off.

To keep it simple, music is teh rockx0rs.

Nanda Panda.
- Vik

Yeahduff

Post by Yeahduff »

Nanda wrote: Well, you certainly sound like every man who's ever professed to love me.
That's not you. Boys just think they know everything.

Mitt Romney.

Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Post by Nanda »

yeahduff wrote:
Nanda wrote: Well, you certainly sound like every man who's ever professed to love me.
That's not you. Boys just think they know everything.
Women are no different. Well, maybe a bit more passive aggressive about it, but I'd say that depends on the guy, too. Most of the wienie guys I hang out with are quite skilled in the art of passive aggression.

To paraphrase Chuck Palahniuk, perhaps it's the result of "an entire generation of men raised by women."

(I came this close to saying something like "Chuck Palahniuk, beloved by any author worth their salt," but figured I'd probably collapse under the weight of all that irony.)

Stinkywigfiddle
Image Image

PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Post by PortableNuke »

Or just general apathy.

Orphevs?

TheSuburbanLetdown

Apathy's back in style.

duffbert

Yeahduff

Post by Yeahduff »

Oh is it? Guess I should find something to care about so I can remain a nonconformist.

Sub.

TheSuburbanLetdown

Being anti-trendy is just as trendy.

Though I guess to be fair, apathy never really went out of style.

col

Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Post by Nanda »

The great thing about apathy is it can go in and out of style, and I still won't give a shit.

Sublet
Image Image