Angela and Norman

The place where no good punk-asses and aimless hipsters come to discuss a rather lousy comic.

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:45 pm

*eats orphevs*
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby PortableNuke on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:24 pm

What kind of taco was he?
PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:26 pm

A fantastic one.

Lot's of beef-like flavour.
TheSuburbanLetdown

Postby Orphevs on Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:48 pm

That's almost ironical. I'm a Hindu; so there's the ironical. I'm also a terrible sinner that will spend countless years in hell because I love me some cow; so there's the almost. I'm actually debating getting to bed early or staying up late to watch cartoons and grab a double western bacon burger from Carls Junior right now. Mmm... half a cow in one burger... *drools*

EDIT: I like sealab... I think cartoons are going to win...
- Vik
Orphevs
Regular Poster

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:58 pm

Speaking of ironical, I know some Jewish people that eat ham.

You know you want to watch Shin-Chan. It makes me go, "...what in the hell...!?"
TheSuburbanLetdown

Postby Nicked on Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:55 pm

I'm a little late, but hot damn! Nice short there, Duff.
<a href="http://pos.comicgen.com">Property of Scott</a>
Nicked
Regular Poster

Postby Sortelli on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:07 am

yeahduff wrote:Um, anyone read Girls With Slingshots?

*shrugs*

I love GWS.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby Yeahduff on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:39 pm

Yay. I really feel like my comic should be more like that. But oh well.

Nicked wrote:I'm a little late, but hot damn! Nice short there, Duff.

Thank you sir.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Bite your tongue!

Postby Kerinbot on Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:13 am

yeahduff wrote:Nah. Just all my characters look exactly the same, unless their hair is different.

Hey, nobody gets to diss the Duff like that! Not even the Duff! So there!

Your characters do not all look anything alike, so that excuse don't fly, mister. Come on, you can't tell me Mary looks anything like Lori, and even the bit parts are all very easy to distinguish (one of the things I especially like about your comic, BTW.) Okay, I realize you were probably being ironical or something, but I like your comic so much, I just can't sit still for that.

Not only do the males not all look like the females (and it's true that in some comics it's hard to tell that much difference...) but all the characters are almost exceedingly idiosyncratic and individualistic. Which is way cool. That's why I noticed it when Angela looked a little Lori-ish.

So... I was just curious. Does Lori have any sisters (Angela or otherwise)? We know she has a Mom alive and speaking to her, so siblings are a possibility... Maybe we'll find out at Easter...

I'm guessing actually that she doesn't, or if she does, that they are younger sisters.

Lori has had a reaction to Mary of a kind that I sort of recognize - not exactly a "pash" but that strong feeling of almost hero-worship (that's the male version of it) that women can sometimes get for another strong, intelligent female that they wish they were more like.

It's not quite a crush and it's not quite sisterly, and it's not really sexual but it's definitely a kind of attraction. Younger sisters often feel that way about their older sisters they admire, but oldest sisters have to find it outside their family group, unless they've got a younger, cool aunt that inspires the feeling.

Or is this just me, and I'm weird?
Kerinbot
Regular Poster

Postby PortableNuke on Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:45 am

I have two sisters, and I don't know. They got into a fist fight once about something or other, so...

The oldest child has it hardest. They are the ones who have to cut out the trail while the younger ones just have to follow it, unless they don't want to.

Yeah, Lori probably does hold Mary in a little bit of reverence. Really though, what's the difference between being friends with someone and being attracted to them, aside from the whole sexual preference thing.
PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Re: Bite your tongue!

Postby Yeahduff on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:26 am

kerinbot wrote:
yeahduff wrote:Nah. Just all my characters look exactly the same, unless their hair is different.

Hey, nobody gets to diss the Duff like that! Not even the Duff! So there!

Your characters do not all look anything alike, so that excuse don't fly, mister. Come on, you can't tell me Mary looks anything like Lori, and even the bit parts are all very easy to distinguish (one of the things I especially like about your comic, BTW.) Okay, I realize you were probably being ironical or something, but I like your comic so much, I just can't sit still for that.

Not only do the males not all look like the females (and it's true that in some comics it's hard to tell that much difference...) but all the characters are almost exceedingly idiosyncratic and individualistic. Which is way cool. That's why I noticed it when Angela looked a little Lori-ish.

So... I was just curious. Does Lori have any sisters (Angela or otherwise)? We know she has a Mom alive and speaking to her, so siblings are a possibility... Maybe we'll find out at Easter...

I'm guessing actually that she doesn't, or if she does, that they are younger sisters.

Lori has had a reaction to Mary of a kind that I sort of recognize - not exactly a "pash" but that strong feeling of almost hero-worship (that's the male version of it) that women can sometimes get for another strong, intelligent female that they wish they were more like.

It's not quite a crush and it's not quite sisterly, and it's not really sexual but it's definitely a kind of attraction. Younger sisters often feel that way about their older sisters they admire, but oldest sisters have to find it outside their family group, unless they've got a younger, cool aunt that inspires the feeling.

Or is this just me, and I'm weird?

Angela is directly based on someone I know. This person in many ways has informed Lori in a real roundabout sorta way, so while the resemblence is not intentional, it's not a complete coincidence.

I've always figured Lori was a middle child. I might be wrong, though. But she does have two sisters.

You're right on about the relationship between Lori and Mary. I've always described this kinda relationship in real life as a sorta crush, though yeah, nonsexual. A girl who I know (who actually partly inspired Lori and Mary) has a thing about her where everyone who knows her basically gets a crush on her, boys and girls. That hold she had always fascinated me, and of course I had a crush on her.

Really, relationships with other people these days are so complicated. There are a million opportunities a day to fall in love, and there are fewer and fewer boundaries between friend and lover yet so many reasons to simply remain friends with potential mates. It's interesting that it seems just as likely for Charles and Mary to get together as it is Lori and Mary for many people. There's some statement on our society there, I'm sure, but damned if I know what it is.

Not sure, though, if the oldest has it the toughest. More likely that some things are tough for the oldest while other things are tough for the other kids.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Col on Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:44 am

Being an only child rocks.

How much of this do you have planned out, Duff? Were you planning on Lori having this admiration for Mary when you first created the character, or did it just turn out that way just recently?
Col
Cartoon Villain

Lori and her sisters

Postby Kerinbot on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:03 am

Yeah, I can see Lori as a midster. She does kind of have that vibe, now that you mention it. You know, not the independence of the oldest, and not the "favored child" confidence of the baby of the family. The middle kids often are kind of the forgotten ones - always too young or too old for the fun stuff, and come at a time when the parents are the most stressed. The "Middle Child Syndrome" is in fact well known to pyschologists and family counselors. Different people react to it different ways - some by acting out, some by breaking away and making a name for themselves on their own terms.. some by fading into the background.

Appropos of nothing, I have two sisters (no brothers). Just us three girls. I'm the oldest, my youngest sister is an Accupuncturist/Chinese Medicine practictioner in Colorado, and my middle sister not only became a cop (now an investigator for a different gov't agency), but is a Sargeant in the Air National Reserve. And she's the shortest, prettiest and most feminine-looking of the three of us. And the only one to have ever gotten married, (not just once, but now twice - this time to an ex fighter pilot). Go figure.

She certainly managed to get out from under the shadow of her older (and younger) sisters.

Like most things, there's as many answers as there are people to find them.

I'm wondering a) what Mary is going to say to Lori next time they meet, since she's obviously still pissed about the barista/phone number thing, and b) if she's actually going to mention to Charles at some point why she's avoiding Clarke's.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next!
Kerinbot
Regular Poster

Postby PortableNuke on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:03 pm

The short ones always have something to prove.

I have to younger sisters, but I haven't lived with them in over a decade. It's kind of made me similar to an only child, and the older of my two sisters a sort of psuedo oldest. My parent's split up with me staying in Texas and my sisters going to California.
PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Eight to One