Hentai Nightmare

To discuss the comic, make announcements, and have it serve as a medium for the speculation, commentary, fanart, and conversation that goes along with it.

Hentai Nightmare

Postby RotSman on Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:41 am

I actually laughed at the "mother of all boners" line. I have to admit, most comics only elicit a wry chuckle at best!

I don't know about the usage of the c-word in the first panel, though. The character of Rose always seems to be walking a fine line between "I want Nate because of positive emotional/intellectual reasons" and "I really AM the trailer-trash archetype that everyone says and I only want Nate because he's unavailable." If she went along with such a description it would seem to validate the latter argument.

...which, of course, doesn't change the fact that this is a hentai nightmare or anything. Just trying to provoke discussion. :D
RotSman
Regular Poster

Postby Tenma on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:18 pm

Take the side story with a grain of salt, and take the guest strips with the whole shaker. :-)

It's interesting how there seems to be a movement, often spearheaded by males with misplaced guilt, to elevate "cunt" to the level of the N-word. It's like women can call each other cunts all the time, but when a male says it, it suddenly takes on this greater meaning intended to demean an entire gender.

My opinion is that it's not that big of a deal, and 99% of the people who say it don't ascribe it any particular significance. The more we dwell on it, the more it's going to become just as offensive and problematic as the N-word.

[Updates Mondays and Thursdays]
Tenma
Regular Poster

Postby Shishio on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:20 pm

I actually discussed the cunt thing with Henshin, but if I posted his response it would spoil the next strip, so you'll see it when the second one goes up.
One-liners: Come for the laughs, stay for the abuse.
Shishio
Regular Poster

Postby RotSman on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Tenma wrote:It's interesting how there seems to be a movement, often spearheaded by males with misplaced guilt, to elevate "cunt" to the level of the N-word. It's like women can call each other cunts all the time, but when a male says it, it suddenly takes on this greater meaning intended to demean an entire gender.

It might be a regional thing, then, because I've never once heard a woman use that term around here without getting her head beat in by another woman. :shifty:

I think it's a matter of class, really. It's a pretty tasteless word to use and there aren't too many settings that it could be considered appropriate in. I'd say that an artistic milieu is one of those places where it should be explored, but the last time someone referred to one of my female friends by that term I almost went Brock Samson on his ass! XD
RotSman
Regular Poster

Postby Tenma on Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:54 am

RotSman wrote:It might be a regional thing, then, because I've never once heard a woman use that term around here without getting her head beat in by another woman. :shifty:

I think it's a matter of class, really. It's a pretty tasteless word to use and there aren't too many settings that it could be considered appropriate in. I'd say that an artistic milieu is one of those places where it should be explored, but the last time someone referred to one of my female friends by that term I almost went Brock Samson on his ass! XD

I'm curious, what other words would you consider tasteless enough to avoid using? I'm usually of the opinion that words are words, and it's the intent behind them that makes them tasteless or not (in the case of "cunt," it's almost always a tasteless comment, but still.)

I don't really use the word much personally, but I do have it in a script for a future TG comic being used by a female character (and justifiably so.)

Tenma
Regular Poster

Postby Henshin on Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:05 pm

I wanted to play it safe by using a less abrasive word too. But then I thought, when two people are intimate or close enough, words can take on a totally different dynamic, just like what Tenma says. Anyway the subsequent strip will make all this discussion wholly irrelevant. I don't want to give it away. Whatever you do, please don't go away. I spent hours coloring this shit. It's my best effort to date.
Henshin

Postby RotSman on Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:13 pm

I wasn't planning on going away...just raising a point for discussion. ^_^ Like I said, that "mother of all boners" gag was pretty classic!
RotSman
Regular Poster

Postby Tenma on Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:28 pm

Heh, it's no big deal, but I am curious why this word has such an elevated status with some people.

Tenma
Regular Poster

Postby Tia on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:14 pm

Tenma wrote:
It's interesting how there seems to be a movement, often spearheaded by males with misplaced guilt, to elevate "cunt" to the level of the N-word. It's like women can call each other cunts all the time, but when a male says it, it suddenly takes on this greater meaning intended to demean an entire gender.

Umm, dude, I knew men thought women did some crazy shit, but that nasty C-word is reserved for special use. A "woman" has to earn that label, and it's not given out lightly. It's ok for women to use with other women, but it's NEVER meant as a friendly thing.

The N-word is used among some groups as a term of endearment. The C-word means "I want to rip out your ovaries with a rusty spork and feed them to my dog, and them when he shits them out I want to rub it in your eyes"
Like that, dontcha bitches?
Tia

Postby RotSman on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:22 pm

Tia wrote:It's ok for women to use with other women, but it's NEVER meant as a friendly thing.

That's what I've always thought as well:

RotSman wrote:It might be a regional thing, then, because I've never once heard a woman use that term around here without getting her head beat in by another woman. :shifty:
RotSman
Regular Poster

Postby Tenma on Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:23 am

My fiancee disagrees, but then again she watches a lot of British television.

Tenma
Regular Poster

Return to Treading Ground