Comic Collective, Consortium, Collaberation, blah blah etc

To discuss the comic, make announcements, and have it serve as a medium for the speculation, commentary, fanart, and conversation that goes along with it.

Postby KLSanchez on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:56 pm

We could use the slogan "Your Daily (Webcomic) Injection" and set our schedules up so that there was a new comic from at least one out of the group every day (or at least Monday through Friday.) For the main page we could have a banner at the top with a horizontal hypodermic needle filled with headshots of our main characters, and the Navigation section could be an IV bag.

Now that I think about it, that sounds interesting... and you could have the needle going right into Charlie's arm for that neat little druggie effect. XD

I like the idea of weekend collab strips. Especially since I can't seem to get enough of making guest comics lately... >.> Perhaps there could even be a rotation with it.

SMac and Comicarotica update M-W-F-Saturday too, so that's four days of the week already, maybe five with that Weekend Fix idea. All Lando has to do is switch to like Tuesday-Thursday and, bam, once a day everything. =)

Not to mention another once-monthly bulk update out of Charlie. Talk about a steady flow...

Silicon Playwrights (-)
No we don't make fake boobs, we just entertain them.

Speak for yourself. ;) I got so many bubble boobs floating around our side 'the table I don't know what to do with 'em!
I'm rich, biatch!

Gulf Coast chapter, bitches.
KLSanchez
Regular Poster

Postby Shishio on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:47 pm

Intravenous Comics is a cool idea, good logic behind it, and again, a cool idea.

One-liners updates on Fridays, and Henshin is OK with doing Treading Ground guest strips with me, which will go up Saturdays once Tenma gets back on his feet. So those days are covered. If we are going to offer a daily fix of webcomics, then we should set it up so that an update can be read on one of our comics everyday. Five days a week is NOT daily.
One-liners: Come for the laughs, stay for the abuse.
Shishio
Regular Poster

Postby Tenma on Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:19 pm

That was Pot Luck Comics / Interrobang Studios, and that is kind of what gave me the idea for the schedule. I'd rather have it be more independent than their setup, but it would be nice to be able to offer something every day.

[Updates Mondays and Thursdays]
Tenma
Regular Poster

Postby KLSanchez on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:29 am

Maybe an RSS feed system could be used, but one that displays the comic(s) for the day on the front page, rather than a text feed.

Perhaps the name could be shortened down, too, something like Bloodshot Comics rather than Intravenous. Two syllables as opposed to four. :)
I'm rich, biatch!

KLSanchez
Regular Poster

Postby Tenma on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:43 am

KLSanchez wrote:Maybe an RSS feed system could be used, but one that displays the comic(s) for the day on the front page, rather than a text feed.

Perhaps the name could be shortened down, too, something like Bloodshot Comics rather than Intravenous. Two syllables as opposed to four. :)

RSS is an interesting idea, and I was thinking of something similar with displaying the day's new comics on the main page of the collective site.

Bloodshot is already <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodshot_(comics)">taken</A>, but if you're worried about length, I figured IV Comics would be the more commonly used name for it. Unfortunately we can't get ivcomics.com, but if you guys don't mind going for a .net, it's available (and intravenouscomics.com is obviously available too.)

Tenma
Regular Poster

Postby Shishio on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:20 am

IVComics.net would work better, easier to remember and spell.
Shishio
Regular Poster

Postby Lando on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm

interesting coincidence to IV Comics there are 4 of us. Lol
Lando

"My spelling and grammar come with a disclaimer."

www.back2roxboro.com
Lando
Regular Poster

Postby Shishio on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:24 am

OK, I guess the majority has agreed on IV Comics. If noone has any objections, I'll secure a domain when I can.
Shishio
Regular Poster

Postby Lando on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:45 am

I already have one through Godaddy, I'll check and see if they offer multiple domain discounts.
*edit: OH crap somebody already has IVComics.com its a lame T-shirt site. the others seem available (on the cheap too) 8.99 for a .net or .org what do we think?
Lando

www.back2roxboro.com
Lando
Regular Poster

Postby Shishio on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:02 am

Alright, as long as someone is willing to hold my hand through the process of pointing it to the site we'll be putting up on my webspace. At least, I would assume we'll use my webspace since I have loads of storage (200 GB.) space and bandwidth. (Over 2 TB a month.)
Shishio
Regular Poster

Postby Lando on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:13 am

dang chief! who do you have that through? By the way registering a .net or .org is 18.23 per year after all the finalizations (private registering so no one can spam your stuff through whois) I can do all the pointing we just need to make sure the host will be able to display the domain. For instance CG had me point the domain by listing their DNS servers then contacting an Admin to make the necessary changes.

Also if we need a test bed to try different things out live I have an old standby pc running apache and guild ftp I was going to try to use it to host the site but Sprint might have a problem with the increase of traffic and it is only DSL on an old Dell Optiplex Gx100. I'm using it now to play around with MySql and PhpBB for some forums for us. Well I will be anyway as soon as I can get it to accept the 40GB hard drive I installed. but I digress.

So .net or .org vote and be heard. I priced it with .org but both are the same price. I personally don't have an opinion either way.
Lando

www.back2roxboro.com
Lando
Regular Poster

Postby Shishio on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:24 am

I vote .net, there are weird laws in Canada about contests hosted on .org sites (We might want to host some in the future.) and I don't want the hassle. I think I'm the only Canadian here, but it almost certainly will be on my webspace, so I don't want any hassle. Also, .org just sucks.

I can set up forums for us. It will take like, 10-20 minutes. Damn son, haven't you heard of one-click installs?

I get my kick ass hosting service from Dreamhost. The promo code ONELINERS can save you money on webspace, if anyone is interested.
Shishio
Regular Poster

Postby Lando on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:13 am

ah yes but where is the fun in that? I like to know about the stuff I use. But easy is pretty cool I guess. I was looking at the TOS for Dreamhost and thankfully I saw nothing about Advertisement I have a google syndication account that I was going to use but CG's TOS prohibits it because of their deal with Burstnet. This way hopefully some light ad traffic could pay for at least the expenses of the site. If you could Shisio, fire an email over to your CS dept to ask about it just in case. And while your at it check about the registration proceedures on their end. When I register the domain, I'll at least need their DNS servers. So .net it is. Also I hope they can do two domains on the same webspace... that would suck if we had to buy more. Oh and see if there is a charge for subdomaining... if not we could get easyaccess to our own websites like treadingground.ivcomics.net and such and the like.
Lando

www.back2roxboro.com
Lando
Regular Poster

Postby Lando on Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:15 am

I have created a to do list of sorts it's in .xls hope everybody can read it anyway feel free to put your name on a task just let everybody know so they can update their copy if they wish. oh i guess it won't upload that so oh well I'll email it out. Shishio you got a preferred email or just the one from the site?
Lando

www.back2roxboro.com
Lando
Regular Poster

Postby Zero_Hawk on Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:22 am

IVComics.net? Heh, sweet.
Steve and Mac forum
<Zero_Hawk> Grimace vs that Robot from T2
<Zero_Hawk> The one that regenerates
<MoogleGenocide[Bork]> Grimace couldn't lose.
<MoogleGenocide[Bork]> But he couldn't win
<malevolence> Grimace can breathe fire
<malevolence> he'd melt the robot
<MoogleGenocide[Bork]> Because he has no offensive capability
<MoogleGenocide[Bork]> He's like the Thwomp from Mario Party
<Zero_Hawk> The robot would regenerate
<Muddbogginredneck> you all need a life
<Zero_Hawk> You need to stop sleeping with your cousin.
<Muddbogginredneck> no
Zero_Hawk
Regular Poster

Postby KLSanchez on Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:38 am

Custom modified forums beat stock forums any day of the week. Standard issue is insufficient.

This's just gone beyond my area of willingness too (not necessarily expertise), so I'll leave the heavy work to you folks. I got three comics to run and money to make, I can barely keep up with the websites! ;-;

Though I guess if there's subdomains available, then I won't have to worry about buying steveandmac.com... since it's provided for me. -.^
I'm rich, biatch!

KLSanchez
Regular Poster

Postby Tenma on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:27 pm

I definitely vote for the .NET. .ORG sounds like a non-profit organization. .NET makes more sense anyway, since it's a NETwork of webcomics.

Afraid I'm going to be kind of useless for the coding and setup and such (there's a reason my website design hasn't changed significantly in over three years,) but I can help with the graphical aspects.

Tenma
Regular Poster

Postby Shishio on Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:41 pm

I can redirect as many domains to my webspace as I want, and I have unlimited subdomains free of charge. Again, setting up PHPBB forums will be ridiculously easy, if you want to use something else, it will be more difficult.

Dreamhost has no problems with Google Ads, Yirmumah is hosted on Dreamhost, and, well, you can see all the different ads on that site. But I despise Google. If you guys want to have Google ads on your own sites, that's your business, but I would rather not have any on the main IV Comics site.

Paying for my webspace is no big deal, I would be doing so anyway, and it only costs me around $150 (I'm pretty sure it's less, actually.) a year. Whoopdee shit.

If hosting the main site, and all your comics proves to actually exceed my bandwidth, (As if. I forgot to mention it increases by a number of gigabytes every week. The storage space does too.) then that will be a problem, but if we ever get that popular, we should have no problems raising whatever extra funds I need to cover the expenses from readers via donations and merchandising.

So, I guess I need to set up a subdomain, like ivcomics.one-liners.net/ and give you my DNS numbers to redirect ivcomics.net to it, right? Do me a favour, and outline everything I need to do. Do so as if you were speaking to a five year old, because I'm terrible with computers and anything relating to websites and programming.
Shishio
Regular Poster

Postby Shishio on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:03 pm

Well, I can't get into my e-mail, so if you have any urgent messages use my alternate address (Just hover your pointer over the e-mail button on any of my posts.) or PM me. I check the forums and my e-mail as frequently as I can.
Shishio
Regular Poster

Postby Lando on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:21 am

OK all we need to get together sometime soon to live chat talk whatever. I'd hate to make a decision based on what one or two of us think and risk pissing someone else off. Nor do I want to wait for days for everyone to respond. So who's around this weekend? My avail is as follows friday (today) Sat, sun after 9:00PM EST hopefully we can block out at least and hour or two to talk. I can be a bit more flexible and the earlyer end but not the later I only say 9 because that's when the kids go to bed. can't be any later on sun cuz I got to be at werk at 7:00 AM Mon :P I don't use any IM program BUt I'll be willing to Download mIRC so we can all be in a room somewhere at the same time. OR Google chat if you don't have a gmail I can invite you, however I'm unsure if the gmail chat does multiple people in the same conversation.
Lando

www.back2roxboro.com
Lando
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Treading Ground