Easy webcomic promotion?

To assist in the conquest of hearts and minds. Okay, maybe not minds.

Easy webcomic promotion?

Postby ShardZ on Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:03 pm

Good to see you're doing better, Michael. Once again, very nice art and detail... did Lefty get knocked out of his gloves before that first panel? (Akin to getting knocked out of one's shoes/socks... Gah, I can't think of the phrase now, but I'm sure there is one.)

Just in case you hadn't noticed, there's a thread about a site that pits singular webcomic pages against each other in a shameless yet limited popularity contest (I'm paraphrasing, here). Some would say it's biased toward well-drawn and gag-a-day strips, but it seems like free publicity to me... any opinions?

One of the posters said their readership tripled after thirteen days... it seems like wide exposure, at least. *shrug* I think the comic would stand a chance in regards to art and stand-alone humor, but that's just me. ;) There are other marketing threads there on General Discussion, but I haven't managed to give them a good look, yet.
In order to clearly see what is in the shadows, you must first enter them.
ShardZ
Regular Poster

Location: The haunts of grues, lucksuckers, eldritch vapors...

Postby Hellbenders on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:30 pm

I noticed the gloves thing myself while I was drawing the latest page. I'm just glad that your sharp eye didn't notice how out of whack the barrel was in porportion to the big ugly. :wink: :oops:

I've heard rumblings about such a contest. Right now I'm doing good to just draw this thing... there's so much I want to do with the site on a fixing up level. But my schedule should be lightening up soon so the 'bënders should be free to smack some competition down in due time.

Thank you for letting me know about this... and apparent you have represented the 'bënders in a forum and got me a quite a few visits. Thank you.
Hellbenders
Regular Poster

Postby ShardZ on Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:32 pm

Heh... just let me know if my nitpickery gets too annoying. I think it's just that this is the closest I've been to reading a comic "from the beginning" and I know editing can be a pain when you have to search through years of archives so... yeah. And nope, I hadn't even thought about the keg's size. You can really see the size difference now. :)

The nice thing about the Webcomic Battle site is, if I read the rules correctly, that you can submit as many pages from your comic as you want, just not more than once. No extra work required, as far as I can see, aside from picking one that's not too offensive (and that's not a tough hurdle from what I've seen there). And I'm not sure why some complain that it favors gag-a-days--a page can still be effective while being part of something larger, IMHO. It just (hopefully) inspires voters to check out the rest.

Nice to know about the forum post, too. Glad I could be of some help (aside from overanalyzing details).
In order to clearly see what is in the shadows, you must first enter them.
ShardZ
Regular Poster

Location: The haunts of grues, lucksuckers, eldritch vapors...

Return to Hellbënders