Who's Your Favorite Comicbook Artist?

For discussing The Green Avenger!

Who's Your Favorite Comicbook Artist?

Postby Prettysenshi on Thu May 25, 2006 10:41 am

This place could use a few new topics while we wait for Abby to update. So, who's your favorite comicbook artist? You can have more than one if you like.

My current favs:
Ed Benes
Adam Kubert
Talent Caldwell
Klaus Janson
Terry Dobson
Ryan Ottley

I used to be in love with Michael Turner, but no so much anymore. After buying Superman/Batman, it really hit me like a ton of bricks that all of his drawings look the same. Wonder Woman, Witchblade, Grace--from Soulfire, and Aspen--from Fathom, all look like the same person, with their hair and eye color being the only differences. All of his men are frowning it seems like. No variation at all. Barely any emotion. I really am not a fan of that kind of work anymore. It's all eyecandy, and now I think I had my share of his kind of sweets.

I've been a fan of Talent Caldwell since his Superman: Godfall work. God, that was so pretty! Ryan Ottley does Invincible. His work is so down to earth and natural. He draws real people. Terry Dobson is a master of drawing sexy women without degrading them, if you've seen his work on the Black Cat. Adam Kubert draws Batman like no other and who doesn't like Batman? Batman is king, and Alfred is right behind him. :D Klaus Janson is a great artist, with his pencils reminding me of more traditional comic work from the '80s or so, even though he still gets work nowadays. He wrote 'DC Comics Guide to Pencilling'. I highly recommend it.
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby Linkara on Fri May 26, 2006 1:44 am

Personally I'd love to be able to draw like the art done in Superman/Batman. ^_~ However, my all-time favorite artwork is a tie between Jim Lee's pencils and Alex Ross' painting. Jim Lee knows how to draw people and knows how to pose them to inspire whatever mood he desires for the characters. And Alex Ross... What is there to say about a guy who actually paints all of his stuff using real people as models? Sometimes they look a bit too realistic (bloated in some ways), but it gives it a more stylized look than some comics out there that'll go for flash over substance.

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby ShardZ on Fri May 26, 2006 7:26 am

I think the first comic book I ever read was Thomas Nelson's Illuminator, ironically published by Marvel Comics. From what I remember of seeing issues of X-Men and the like later in life, Nelson's work in Illuminator may not have been quite so detailed or action-packed, but I thought the expressions and proportions looked realistic enough (your first is always your favorite, etc.). I also liked the coloration and linework for the "lighting" effects. Too bad the comic only survived for two issues... never even got to read the second one. :(

I'm not well-read in regards to comics (please don't hurt me), but if I were to start reading or collecting, I'd look for a relatively uncluttered style like that one.
In order to clearly see what is in the shadows, you must first enter them.
ShardZ
Regular Poster

Location: The haunts of grues, lucksuckers, eldritch vapors...

Postby AbbyL on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:47 am

Like I incorrectly stated in my interview, I enjoy Bruce Timm's art's simplicity, and I love Adrian Alphona's stuff, though the recent changes haven't been sitting well with me. I love John Byrne's art, though not so much his writing, (Except She-Hulk which is hilarious). And I have to admit, I love Adam Hughes' pinups, though he has the whole everyone looks the same problem as well sometimes.
AbbyL

Postby Prettysenshi on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:46 am

Adding to list is Jim Lee. I just finished reading some pages from Batman: Hush. Hands down one of the best stories from DC Comics ever. Great story, incredible art. I recommend the book.
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Return to Green Avenger