RPG Rules

A place for readers of the comic to interact with each other. Also a continuation of a related RPG.

RPG Rules

Postby PhoenixIncarnate on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:49 am

Since the comic is a spin-off of a web forum RPG, we're going to set up a new one specifically for the comic. Here are the basic rules.

-Basic formatting keys:
--(For title of thread:)
---{RP} denotes a role-playing thread.
---{Char} denotes a character profile/request.
--(Within post)
---(no tag) Assumes your main character is talking.
---(first letter of a character's name + a custom tag) Shows an important secondary character is talking. (Example: The secondary-character Frosty would speak like this: F$ What the heck are YOU looking at?? )
---(first letter of a character's name + :) Shows a nonmajor NPC is talking.
---(OOC: (text) ) means "Out of character." Anything said within OOC parentheses is not counted in the actual role play.
---* Shows an action.

-Player courtesy: The intended style of this game is for story telling, not hack and slash. Please refrain from starting player vs. player combat. Hostilities are OK, as that is part of character development, but please respect that each player is trying to tell their own story and killing their character ruins the fun.

-No need for god mode: Please do not kill off or permanantly cripple another person's character, even as a GM. Again, this game format is story telling, not hack and slash.
(The only exception to this rule: if you wish to be allowed the power to kill off party members in your game, you must explicitly label the thread "High-risk" within an OOC description in your first post and the label {RP: HR} in the title.)

-For combat, one standard action per post. Combat can and hopefully will happen within stories, so because of this there needs to be a standard. By default, all characters should be able to move and use one attack or special ability per "turn." A turn includes the actions of all present party members, meaning after you have made your action, you must wait for everyone else involved to take their turn before posting another action. (If you play Dungeons and Dragons, think of this rule as "Initiative.")

That pretty much covers the basics. Any problems, PM me.
Last edited by PhoenixIncarnate on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
What if nobody ever asked "what if?"

http://phoenixincarnate.comicgenesis.com
PhoenixIncarnate
Regular Poster

Location: If you are READING this, you know where in PA I am.

Postby Bassist159 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:28 am

Most RPGs agree that the standard "turn" is roughly three seconds. This allows for a single attack, maybe a double attack. We seriously need to keep an eye on the three-attack types.
Bassist159

Postby PhoenixIncarnate on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:41 am

I was assuming a turn was 6 seconds, but that can be brought down if we think it's a serious problem.

I could definately see problems with ability to cast 3 spells at a time, come to think of it. Physical attacks . . . eh. Like I said above, if the counterbalance is good enough, maybe.

I can think of one thing I'd like to add, and that's whether or not all attacks hit as described. I'd prefer not. As a suggestion, let's say you can make the attack, but the attacked player makes a choice whether or not to expend part of his action to block it (if they are feasibly able). This might cost them their attack, but the problem there is a constant endless attack-block-attack-block-attack-block pattern that never ends, so this is less than desireable.

PhoenixIncarnate
Regular Poster

Postby Bassist159 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:32 am

I could see maybe three attacks in a turn, if the person was really, really good at what they were doing. Three spells in a turn? No. Maybe two, but I really think most magic should be left at one spell per post. Magic, on the whole, is a lot more powerful than physical attacks, and needs some limits.

As for the whole "Attack-Block-Attack-Block-Ect" argument...I think most people would eventually tire of it, and either go on the offensive themselves, try to run, or maybe cast magic. Bottom line, it wouldn't go forever. Eventually, someone would get hit, or a the moderators would have to step in to delegate a block not working.
Bassist159

Postby PhoenixIncarnate on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:51 pm

Sildar suggested streamlining/reducing the number of rules here. How should the rules here for combat turns be affected?

There may be some parts I can remove, since some of it is based on experiences at the Keep and we are in fact trying to make something new other than the Keep, it seems. Let me know what you guys think.

PhoenixIncarnate
Regular Poster

Postby PhoenixIncarnate on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 am

As per Sildar's request, I've cut out a significant portion of the rules. I think these are still necessary, and it's not asking for too much either.

PhoenixIncarnate
Regular Poster

Return to Phoenix Incarnate