Psychological/Societal Contexts

A place for readers of the comic to interact with each other. Also a continuation of a related RPG.

Psychological/Societal Contexts

Postby PhoenixIncarnate on Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:59 pm

Sadly, much of Phoenix Incarnate is based on personal experience. As well as an author and a comic artist, I am also an observer. I tend to notice things about the world that others have blindly played themselves into.

One of the goals I have for this comic is to point out some specific issues I feel need more attention. The two main issues I use my comic for are societal hierarchy (as explained through the use of a school system, unfortunately where this is most common), and domestic violence.

The popularity ladder in West Isthmus High serves as one of the comic's main themes. To reach the top, you have to step on the people below you. Essentially, you use people weaker than you as rungs to climb to the top, leaving your stepping block vulnerable beneath you. Carrie happens to be the absolute lowest rung on this popularity ladder. As her enemies develop more within the comic, you'll start to see their reasons for hurting Carrie - none of which actually have anything at all to do with Carrie (The Flash game is based entirely on this topic; when that's finished, anyone who plays it will get a much deeper look into all the main characters, including explanations why the characters behave the way they do).

Domestic violence is a more serious matter. Now, I've been criticized in the past for overexagerating this side of my tale. The truth of the matter is, what I have portrayed is weak in comparison to many real cases of this. The perception that domestic abuse cases are often exagerated or falsified is exactly what I want to point out. Through the comic, I hope readers can see a correlation between treatment at home and overall behavior and perceptions on life.

I'd like to use this thread to discuss these topics. Feel free to comment with your own experiences, whether or not you think I'm on target with my portrayal of the problems, positive or negative reactions to the context or points being made, etc. Realizing the problem is the first step to fixing it; discussing the problem is the second step.
What if nobody ever asked "what if?"

http://phoenixincarnate.comicgenesis.com
PhoenixIncarnate
Regular Poster

Location: If you are READING this, you know where in PA I am.

Return to Phoenix Incarnate