The Official Comic Cookout Six: Nashvegas! (2009) Thread

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.

Re: The Official Comic Cookout Six: Nashvegas! (2009) Thread

Postby Rkolter on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:49 am

Hogan wrote:I regret to inform that I had to take the steps to change my attendance from the 75 % so far, to fully 100 % !

Yes, the tickets has been bought, and I will at the cookout once again! :D

Most Excellent!
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Ekolter on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:02 pm

With all I packed just for the tyke for a long weekend at grandparents - we're probably gonna need two cars. D:
Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laemkral on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:59 pm

Dreamaniaccomic wrote:I really want to go to this, but alas, I can't. 17 + no cash + no chance in hell my parents will pay or provide transportation = :cry:
Well, next year, maybe.
Man, I haven't been on the forums here for awhile.

It's attitudes like this that are the reason the CG Trip Fund has no one on the list, which is probably the biggest reason there's no DONATIONS.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Donation Fund Reminder

Postby Fading Aura on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:33 am

Quick reminder: the donation fund will close in one week. If you need some help getting to the cookout, by all means, e-mail me at stlcookout@gmail.com or send a PM my way. The donation fund is currently empty, but that's probably because no one has asked to be on the list. :P
When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look, but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown; the dream is gone. And I have become comfortably numb.
Fading Aura
Regular Poster

Postby Ekolter on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:45 pm

How many people have signed up?
Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tim on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:02 pm

Not enough.

Though I'll likely be adding my name fairly soon. (To register, I don't think it's very kosher of me to sign up for a donation.)
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Location: Bay State, ol' Bay State, I lift my heart to you (bum bum bum)

Postby Aeridus on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Why is the donation fund closing? I'll be glad to donate once people apply to be on the list.
My Jam Avatar!

Village Idiot Vs World webcomic and other works of art

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer
Aeridus
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laemkral on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:27 pm

I would have happily donated seeing as I can't make it this year, but quite frankly I'm disappointed that no one has even put their name into the donation fund. It's a shame since I've been occasionally harassing people in chat to put their name in, but at this point I really no longer feel compelled to help due to the lack of interest.

An extra shame since I was going to pretty much straight up cover the flight expenses for someone to make it to the cookout. Snooze, you lose.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Donation Timeout

Postby Fading Aura on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:15 am

Aeridus wrote:Why is the donation fund closing?

According to the cookout website, "We will stop taking submissions on March 28, 2009. This gives us time to purchase travel tickets before the prices exceed the limitations of the fund." This is actually two weeks longer than last year because it took a little extra time to get things set up with the change in hands.

There's still time if someone wants their name on the list; according to this thread, there are people willing to donate. You just have to let me know either through e-mail ( stlcookout@gmail.com ) or a private message here.

And hey, don't let the lack of names on the donation list keep you from donating. According to the website, there are only 10 people (including Tristan Kolter) going to the cookout this year. That means we won't be breaking even on this one unless a bunch of people sign up before May 1st. :-?
When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look, but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown; the dream is gone. And I have become comfortably numb.
Fading Aura
Regular Poster

Postby Hogan on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:13 am

Tim wrote:Not enough.

Though I'll likely be adding my name fairly soon. (To register, I don't think it's very kosher of me to sign up for a donation.)

Yesss... do sign up! And everybody else who want to participate but hasn't signed up yet... get to it!

Some potential cookoutgoers might be put of by seeing how few people are on the list, but if they see the list swell, they might think it over and decide to go!

It's not a secret that the large number of people present at the cookout two years ago was what persuaded me to invest in expensive tickets and join up from afar. To get to meet so many peopl you've so only know from afar was something I HAD to try.
... the year after and this year I join and joined because of the friendships I made the first time :)
When webcomics clash: The Webcomic Crossover & Cameo Archive!
Here it comes... the CameoComic
Hogan
Regular Poster

Postby Aeridus on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:08 pm

Well, I went ahead and donated then. :) Hopefully it'll help.
Last edited by Aeridus on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Jam Avatar!

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer
Aeridus
Cartoon Hero

Postby Nanda on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:49 pm

I feel like a total dick, but Sketchy and I are going to have to take our names off the list, we're not going to be able to make it this year afterall. It's not a money issue, it's a scheduling issue. Sorry guys.
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Aeridus on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Aw. :( *sends Nanda a time traveling machine*
My Jam Avatar!

~Mavis Leyrer
Aeridus
Cartoon Hero

Postby Hogan on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:25 pm

:( :( :(

Sorry to hear that Nanda, I missed you last year :(

... and now I feel I have jinxed the proces by posting and encouraging people to get the sign up done... :-?
Hogan
Regular Poster

Postby Aeridus on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Just sign people up without their permission, I'm sure they won't mind. ;P
My Jam Avatar!

~Mavis Leyrer
Aeridus
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dragonkingdoms on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:38 pm

11 (well, 9 actually), if you count the fact that I signed up and wasn't added. Maybe April will turn out better?
Comic Genesis Comic Cookout VIII was July 30th, 2011 (over a year ago!) in NYC. Want to host/plan Comic Cookout IX in summer (fall?) 2013? Feel free to drop me a PM.
Dawn of a New Era
Webcomic Above VII is going on now!
Dragonkingdoms
Regular Poster

Postby Americangothic on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:33 am

Dragon Kingdoms--
I'm sorry about not getting you posted on the list! I found your registration form and I did get it. I use gmail, and it got stacked into the mail that all arrived on a single day. There are certain things I really dont like about gmail. I'll repair the cookout attendance list ASAP.
Americangothic
Regular Poster

Re: The Official Comic Cookout Six: Nashvegahttps! (2009) Thread

Postby Americangothic on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:58 am

Thanks to a fantastic donor, we now have 1,000.00 in the trip fund! So please, if you would like to be considered-- drop Aura or I an email. You can reach me at nashvillecookout@yahoo.com

Yes, this year is kinda slow. We kinda expected that with the economy and the fact that the cookout has moved. We probably won't break even this year, which means that many of the expenses for the cookout will come out of my personal pocket, or out of what ever is left of the donation fund.

I'd like to explain some stuff and give some transparency to the cookout mechanics. What happened this year is that Beth and Ryan asked me to do it. As soon as I found out, I went to Nashville for a day and priced hotels and conference centers, looking for one that would be within a certain budget.

I guessed at 20 people X 35.00 per person = 700.00 Almost all conference centers that were nice were a minimum of 400.00 per day. I was able to get a better deal with the Quinta because we would be able to get a 10 block of rooms. They gave me the meeting room for 200.00 per day and that would give us 300.00 for catering the lunch itself. That would not include any transportation costs or extras. That would be meeting room and catering only.

We looked into Neely's BBQ, which is one of the best companies in Nashville and is very well known. They would be able to do a luncheon for 20 under our budget. With the left overs from the budget, I planned on renting a 12 person large transport van because the last two years that I've attended, we have packed my minivan and people have been very dependent me providing transportation. The van would be about 75.00 per day. If I drive the rented van, and someone else drives my mini-van, we would have enough transport for everyone to get around Nashville and see the sights no problem.

In the past Beth and Ryan over the years have taken on a substantial personal financial burden in hosting the cookout and should really be thanked for it. In these economic times, it's just not possible to do such a large shebang again... and there is a good chance that next year it will not happen at all unless someone wishes to come forward and donate 40+ hours of their personal time and about 1,000.00 of their own personal funds to make it happen.

We have been very blessed to have Aura work on the website, and I want to thank everyone who has volunteered their time and effort into this. Should we not fill the block of hotel rooms, the budget for the cookout will go up because of the contract to the hotel but hopefully canceling the rental van will make up for it. They want a minimum amount of profit, regardless of how many of us show up.

*hugs*
Aggie
Americangothic
Regular Poster

Postby Hogan on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:30 am

People... sign up, get to the cookout, we will like to see you there, both people of old and new!

Aggie... By no means shall the host be personally responsible for any econmical shortcomings of the cookout! If we don't at lest break even, I'll make sure of that, even if I have to get medieval with the donation drive!

'nuff said, see you at the cookout!
Hogan
Regular Poster

Postby Ekolter on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:31 am

Hell, I even pimped it out on Cornstalker. Need to pinch Cortland and his lovely wife.They say they're coming...

Perhaps someone needs to pimp out a thread in OT. Yeah there is a sticky but most read OT over stickies.
Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Community Get-Togethers