Prep for Cookout 2008

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.

Prep for Cookout 2008

Postby Rkolter on Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:33 am

This is just a warning - the Cookout 2008 website will be live at the start of November. This is the FIFTH COOKOUT! Some things to expect:

1) Vorticus has agreed to run the Trip Fund again this year. McDuffies is our first goal. Yes, Mcduffies. Ladies, bring extra panties.

2) Same hotel as last year - different room though; we will have a thermostat! And we have a second room for dancing or attacking each other with swords.

3) Price for hotel is $75 a night - I'm working on getting a true actual price a night with taxes and all that stuff worked in. Yes, that is $10 more than last year - they're a Best Western now and the rates are still $50 less than anywhere else that has a shuttle to the airport and the like.

4) They have a restaurant in the hotel now and it has a small game and tv room. It doesn't serve much more than frozen foods that have been since cooked, but you know, it's right there and all... continental breakfast is still free.

5) No planned construction this year! And they said, "If your room's door doesn't close, TELL US. We'll have someone there immediately to fix it."

6) Same food as last year. Well, same menu - same food would be really gross. Same catering too. Also same general food rules - if it doesn't generally need refrigeration, you can bring it to the cookout itself. Chips, cookies, candy, bread products, and so on. If it does need refrigeration, then leave it in your room (salsa is still an exception).

7) They have promised to try to do better about grouping us all together, and about making sure everyone has a fridge, however they cannot (of course) give a 100% guarantee.

8) Yes, if you come to the cookout, you will get something nifty. Last year Turnsky designed buttons. The year before FAUB did shirts. This year... someone... is doing something... Yes, I know the someone, and the something. No, I'm not telling you. :shifty: But it's way cool.

9) Actual dates: June 5-8 (Thurs-Sun). The cookout day is June 7th (Sat) from 10am - 11pm.

Finally, Beth will be doing more of the work this year; lots more. That's cool by me; the cookout drives me briefly insane each year. So if you have questions, bouce them to her.

Beware, Cookout V is coming...
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Hogan on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:25 am

Yeaaaaaaaaaah! :D

*Starts making plans...* :twisted:
When webcomics clash: The Webcomic Crossover & Cameo Archive!
Here it comes... the CameoComic
Hogan
Regular Poster

Postby [AlmightyPyro] on Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:00 am

I really hope to go this year. I know I've been saying this for the past 3 years, but this year seems a lot more likely since I am on my own now. The money thing is still my main issue. Once again I have another vacation plan to attend, but I have found a way to stay for free there (minus food and such) which means I can save my money for the plane trip there and the hotel. I just won't eat food I have to pay for I guess. :P
Cross your fingers for me every one! ^_^
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero

Postby CorpAmis on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:58 pm

*crosses her fingers for AP*

If I get to the United States, it wont be before July, so I probably have to miss this year..2009..I think I MAY be able to make it!!

Beg, borrow, steal!!!
The real creativity lies in hiding your sources.
-Albert Einstein

CorpAmis
Regular Poster

Postby Killbert-Robby on Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:47 pm

This is the year. I feel it in my fingers. I FEEL IT IN MAH BONES!

But seriously, I plan on getting me a job and starting to make up the cash, sorting out a visa and all that. Maaaaabeh come a bit early, see the other 'Mericans, and leave a bit late, see something else (Canadaland?) Since if I take the day off school I basically have 2 free weeks. But target one is the cookout. I'm hoping to make up all the money, but if not, maybe the donation could subsidize a weee little bit? But for now I'll be trying to pay for myself.

LET THIS BE THE YEAR.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Re: Prep for Cookout 2008

Postby Dave Against The Machine on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:25 pm

rkolter wrote:5)No planned construction this year! And they said, "If your room's door doesn't close, TELL US. We'll have someone there immediately to fix it."

....how many other people actaully HAD this problem? o_O
I know I sat there a got 15 mins trying to close my door.
Dave Against The Machine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:07 pm

Dave Against The Machine wrote:
rkolter wrote:5)No planned construction this year! And they said, "If your room's door doesn't close, TELL US. We'll have someone there immediately to fix it."

....how many other people actaully HAD this problem? o_O
I know I sat there a got 15 mins trying to close my door.

Seven or eight people complained about it, including Beth and I in the Jacuzzi suite - door would close fine, if you closed it. It'd swing just 99% shut if you didn't make the effort yourself.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
Rkolter

Postby Nanda on Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:24 pm

rkolter wrote:7) They have promised to try to do better about grouping us all together, and about making sure everyone has a fridge, however they cannot (of course) give a 100% guarantee.

Stinky and I didn't really mind having an entire wing to ourselves, shut-ins that we are. Not having a fridge kinda bit, though.
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:56 pm

Also, #11:

11) We expect the cost of the cookout itself to remain $35 per person.

We were just on the positive side of break-even last year, and none of the prices seem to have changed dramatically.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Aeridus on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:41 pm

I'm definitely coming again if I can swing the costs. :D Also, shirts?? Did you mean there were some in the 2007 cookout or just that Faub designed some for next time? If the latter, that's way cool. :D
My Jam Avatar!

Village Idiot Vs World webcomic and other works of art

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer
Aeridus
Cartoon Hero

Faub shirts

Postby Fading Aura on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:52 pm

aeridus wrote:Did you mean there were some in the 2007 cookout or just that Faub deisgned some for next time? If the latter, that's way cool. :D
Faub silk-screened t-shirts at the 2006 cookout and gave them out, accepting $5 donations. I'm not sure if he'll do it again, though. He ended up losing about $50 to $100 by not making people pay for them if I recall correctly. :P
When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look, but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown; the dream is gone. And I have become comfortably numb.
Fading Aura
Regular Poster

Postby Aeridus on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:11 pm

Ah, I see.
My Jam Avatar!

Village Idiot Vs World webcomic and other works of art

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer
Aeridus
Cartoon Hero

Re: Faub shirts

Postby Rock_dash on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:29 am

Fading Aura wrote:
aeridus wrote:Did you mean there were some in the 2007 cookout or just that Faub deisgned some for next time? If the latter, that's way cool. :D
Faub silk-screened t-shirts at the 2006 cookout and gave them out, accepting $5 donations. I'm not sure if he'll do it again, though. He ended up losing about $50 to $100 by not making people pay for them if I recall correctly. :P

-_-
Rock_dash
NOTHING

Postby Polerin on Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Want to go :P

Cross fingers that I get this job, cuz that's probably the only way we'll be able to do it.
Polerin
Regular Poster

Postby Laemkral on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:14 pm

Sadly I can't know for sure if I'm able to come. Pretty much my entire life after graduation is unknown in terms of availability...so we'll have to wait and see until next semester.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby Killbert-Robby on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:05 pm

Laemkral wrote:Sadly I can't know for sure if I'm able to come. Pretty much my entire life after graduation is unknown in terms of availability...so we'll have to wait and see until next semester.

Dammit Laem, if I pull everything and make my way over, you better fucking be there.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laemkral on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:43 pm

Killbert-Robby wrote:
Laemkral wrote:Sadly I can't know for sure if I'm able to come. Pretty much my entire life after graduation is unknown in terms of availability...so we'll have to wait and see until next semester.

Dammit Laem, if I pull everything and make my way over, you better fucking be there.

If I'm at Airborne, Ranger, Air Assault, BOLC II or any other number of schools that I've applied for or am required to attend post-commissioning, it's called "being out of my hands". Brockway and Aggie will attest to this, my life is very much no longer entirely under my own control and has been handed over to Uncle Sam.

Here's the good news. May 23-25 is commencement. If the cookout is only a couple weeks after at the start of June, there are good odds I won't be on orders just then. The thing is, my mom wants to go on one final family vacation before I head off to this grand thing called "life completely on my own", and that takes priority over you guys. But, and this is more good news, because of that I have taken various options available to me to apply to not go until the fall.

Right now, I'm saying the odds of me being there are iffy. Say 50%. As I get closer to graduation/commissioning I'll know more and the odds can more definitively swing towards 100, or 0.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby Prettysenshi on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:45 pm

Laemkral wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:

If I'm at Airborne, Ranger, Air Assault, BOLC II or any other number of schools that I've applied for or am required to attend post-commissioning, it's called "being out of my hands". Brockway and Aggie will attest to this, my life is very much no longer entirely under my own control and has been handed over to Uncle Sam.

Here's the good news. May 23-25 is commencement. If the cookout is only a couple weeks after at the start of June, there are good odds I won't be on orders just then. The thing is, my mom wants to go on one final family vacation before I head off to this grand thing called "life completely on my own", and that takes priority over you guys. But, and this is more good news, because of that I have taken various options available to me to apply to not go until the fall.

Right now, I'm saying the odds of me being there are iffy. Say 50%. As I get closer to graduation/commissioning I'll know more and the odds can more definitively swing towards 100, or 0.

Well, I'll cross my fingers for you :D
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby Ekolter on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Laemkral wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:

Yes you are correct, the Cookout is the first weekend of June. June 7th to be exact.
Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Postby Garneta on Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:49 pm

Not sure if I'll be able to go next year, it depends on my monetary situation by then...if things stay as they are now, I'd say there's about a 25-50% chance of it.
Image Image Image
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Next

Return to Community Get-Togethers