Official Cookout 07 Song/Dance Thread

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Official Cookout 07 Song/Dance Thread

Post by Dr Legostar »

Okay, might as well start this. As many of you are aware I will be running music and dancing at the cookout in the evening, I also want to have my setup up during the day to just play music on one side of the room for people to sit and draw to.

Music
Now, left to my own devices I will probably play an assortment of swing music and other crap I have, but I am completely willing to take requests, with some conditions.

1. If you request music that I don't have, I need you to bring it on C.D. so i can put it on my laptop to play it.
2. If you request a song for dancing, you have to dance to it.

Now, as far as song requests go. It is my goal to get as many of you as possible actually out on the dance floor during the dancing. This goal is best achieved by giving you a variety of music which you would actually dance to. So I won't be playing swing music all night, in addition i will play slow songs, latin stuff, and anything else that will get you out there, breakdance, techno, whatever it might be. I am willing to play it if you're willing to dance to it.

As for specific song request, for example I know many couples are coming, if you have a special song that means something, your wedding song, the first song you danced to at prom, whatever it may be, please, request it, if i don't have it, please bring it and I will play it for you. I do plan on playing some slow songs for all the couples and all the people who just wanna make out highschool style on the dance floor (please don't, really, i'm kidding).

So far my playlist will consist of the following, some my own and some requested already.

-Swing Music (all kinds, i have a ton of it)
-Barenaked Ladies (some of it is very danceable and most is just fun)
-Tom Lehrer (for the humor aspects, some dancing)
-Violin music (Christwriter made some comment last year about liking it and i have some fairly nice violin music, more would be appreciated).
-Latin/Ballroom (for random other dancing)
-Country Music (Sorry Vort, just for fun plus there are enough southerners who might like it)
-Rock has requested the fight music for the Original Star Trek for when he fights kolter or some such thing, I DO NOT have this, but I would like to play it.

All suggestions and requests welcome, as long as you follow my conditions

Dancing

Right now my plan is to teach an hour or so of dancing friday night and an hour or so of dancing saturday. Depending on the crowd this might be the same lesson or different. The bulk of the teaching will be swing dancing, but I have already had one request for ballroom so I will teach some basic box step stuff.

After both lessons I plan to just put on music to dance to and help people individually with what they want to learn or work on, and of course dance a lot with everyone willing.

I also have plans to have song dedications during the dancing, I have been slowly gathering appropriate or amusing songs for many of the people attending the cookout and by cookout time hope to have a song for each person in attendance plus a few for those who couldn't make it.

So, if you've got dancing or music requests, post them here so I can keep them organized, I'll update this first post with more details as I have them.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ekolter »

Let us know what need song-wise. We found our cd collection among the boxes. We now have 2 shelves full of cds of nearly every genre.

Rock_dash
NOTHING

Post by Rock_dash »

Sooo tempted to suggest anime music to piss Kolter off. :shifty:

Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Post by Rkolter »

rock_dash wrote:Sooo tempted to suggest anime music to piss Kolter off. :shifty:
I'm polishing my taser, you bastard. Polishing it with HAET.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Post by Dr Legostar »

rkolter wrote:
rock_dash wrote:Sooo tempted to suggest anime music to piss Kolter off. :shifty:
you do realize if he requests it, i'm gonna make him dance to it.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ahaugen »

legostargalactica wrote:
rkolter wrote:
okay, now I'm tempted to bring my video camera
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company

Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Post by Laemkral »

I'll have my computer with me, and I'll make sure to bring some blank CDs in case we need to rip anything. I've not exactly got a great selection, but it'll help supplement what's available.

Also, push comes to shove we can buy things from iTunes.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

Cortland
Cartoon Hero

Post by Cortland »

I must formally request we dance to Cartoon Heroes by Aqua. I will have that on a CD for you, Lego. There are also plenty of swing songs I'd love to dance to, but most of those you have already: Mister Pinstripe Suit - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, How lucky can one guy be - Indigo Swing, Jump Jive and Wail - Stray Cats, Sing Sing Sing - Benny Goodman.
Image Image

Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Post by Jim North »

I shall bring They Might Be Giants.

If it is played, I shall dance They Might Be Giants style.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Post by Dr Legostar »

Jim North wrote:I shall bring They Might Be Giants.

If it is played, I shall dance They Might Be Giants style.
sweet, make sure to bring "Istanbul."

And cort, yes please bring Cartoon Heroes and I'll certainly play all those other songs you requested.

MoonMistGuardian
Regular Poster

Post by MoonMistGuardian »

:D
Speaking as a person that was raised on Oringal Trek... I will scour my collection to hunt down the elusive trak so we may all watch this great battle...

also... I will totally dance to DDR music... its kinda techno (alot) :shucks:
so cold

Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Re: Official Cookout 07 Song/Dance Thread

Post by Pimpette »

legostargalactica wrote:-Tom Lehrer (for the humor aspects, some dancing)
Masochism Tango FTW

Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Re: Official Cookout 07 Song/Dance Thread

Post by Dr Legostar »

Pimpette wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:-Tom Lehrer (for the humor aspects, some dancing)
Masochism Tango FTW
well OF COURSE i'm gonna play that. What other song could I possibly dedicate to Sparrow?

Rkolter

Post by Rkolter »

legostargalactica wrote:
rkolter wrote:
If he dances to it, he has to cosplay as Sailor Moon. :twisted:
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.

Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Post by Dr Legostar »

rkolter wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:
rkolter wrote: I'm polishing my taser, you bastard. Polishing it with HAET.
that's not in my rules, if you wanna make him do that, that's your perogative, disturbing as it may be.

Rock_dash
NOTHING

Post by Rock_dash »

legostargalactica wrote:
rkolter wrote:
legostargalactica wrote: you do realize if he requests it, i'm gonna make him dance to it.
that's not in my rules, if you wanna make him do that, that's your perogative, disturbing as it may be.
The disturbing part is why Kolter suddenly wants to see me in a sailor fuku so badly.

Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Post by Dr Legostar »

rock_dash wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:
rkolter wrote: If he dances to it, he has to cosplay as Sailor Moon. :twisted:
The disturbing part is why Kolter suddenly wants to see me in a sailor fuku so badly.
i guess since he's already kissing vorticus this isn't that strange.

Rock_dash
NOTHING

Post by Rock_dash »

legostargalactica wrote:
rock_dash wrote:
legostargalactica wrote: that's not in my rules, if you wanna make him do that, that's your perogative, disturbing as it may be.
i guess since he's already kissing vorticus this isn't that strange.
Point.

Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero

Post by Black Sparrow »

*pops the pyramid*

I have a karaoke machine (This one, to be specific), and Lego has all but ordered me to bring it.. It's just a little one, maybe two feet high, but it works well enough. The only issue I can see is that I only have one microphone. If anyone has compatable mics (I'm not sure on the specifics... I don't have it here at my dorm), bring them.

I also have a couple karaoke cds, but not a lot. If anyone else has anything they want to sing to, it's your job to bring it. The machine takes (CD+G) type CDs, to get lyrics on the screen.
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Rkolter

Post by Rkolter »

Black sparrow - bounce me an email at cookout2007 at yahoo.com and tell me about the karoke machine. So I put it in the site.

Rock and Legostar - I really hate you guys. :lol:
Image Image ImageImage