Official 2007 St. Louis Comic Cookout Thread (05-09-2007)

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.

Postby STrRedWolf on Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:42 am

Tim probably has the list then.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Postby Hogan on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:21 am

STrRedWolf wrote:Tim probably has the list then.

I hope so, because it sounds like they've been paid double... as well as having overcharged me... :x
When webcomics clash: The Webcomic Crossover & Cameo Archive!
Here it comes... the CameoComic
Hogan
Regular Poster

Postby Nanda on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:29 am

STrRedWolf wrote:Remember, there may be taxes and associated fees. My 2 night stay was $150 and change. Check the itemized charge sheet they gave you when you checked out.

Yeah, they taxed us out the ass! $130 + tax does not = $150, even if said tax is 10%, which is really high. It's a good thing we ended up leaving extra in our account.
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tim on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:48 am

I do have the itemized list. Hogan, got your PM, we'll work this out. :P

Apparently everybody has their fingers in the pot when paying for stuff, because there's three separate taxes being charged: state, city, and city/local tax. That's how they get ya.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Location: Bay State, ol' Bay State, I lift my heart to you (bum bum bum)

Postby STrRedWolf on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:51 am

Tim wrote:I do have the itemized list. Hogan, got your PM, we'll work this out. :P

Apparently everybody has their fingers in the pot when paying for stuff, because there's three separate taxes being charged: state, city, and city/local tax. That's how they get ya.

I assumed that when I looked at mine and saw "Taxes". It's not a sales tax, per say, but a seperate tax that's charged by the hotels.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Postby Garneta on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:37 am

They waited a week to charge our debit card for some reason, and it made our bank account go down to -$176. :ick: And yeah, the taxes sucked.
Image Image Image
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Postby Ahaugen on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:44 am

that's why i brought Traveler's Cheques
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero

Location: Chasing leads, reporating news, and opining editorally

Postby Hogan on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:21 am

Tim wrote:I do have the itemized list. Hogan, got your PM, we'll work this out. :P

Thanks! I think we have it cleared now!

... but the taxes were a ditch! At least they here got a law saying all prices stated must be with tax included, then nobody gets a surprise like this!
When webcomics clash: The Webcomic Crossover & Cameo Archive!
Here it comes... the CameoComic
Hogan
Regular Poster

Postby Nanda on Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:36 pm

They taxed us so much that I don't feel bad about staining their bathtub and towels slightly purple anymore! Viva la resistance!
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:55 pm

The Hotel wrote:Taxes. (Ha ha!)

Oh, geez! We didn't even notice. This sucks! :( :(
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Postby Rkolter on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:33 pm

I'm guessing this was the first time many of you have rented hotel rooms, or the first time in a few years. These are standard taxes anymore - Local, State, Federal, plus various other taxes the municipalities have tacked on. It's really asinine, but it'll be the same wherever we go. I've rented a LOT of hotel rooms over the last decade. These tax charges have gone up pretty much everywhere as time has progressed.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Rock_dash on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:38 pm

Nanda wrote:They taxed us so much that I don't feel bad about staining their bathtub and towels slightly purple anymore! Viva la resistance!

As the son of a housekeeper, I'm here to let you know, you should still feel bad. :shifty:
Rock_dash
NOTHING

Postby Nanda on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:46 pm

rkolter wrote:I'm guessing this was the first time many of you have rented hotel rooms, or the first time in a few years. These are standard taxes anymore - Local, State, Federal, plus various other taxes the municipalities have tacked on. It's really asinine, but it'll be the same wherever we go. I've rented a LOT of hotel rooms over the last decade. These tax charges have gone up pretty much everywhere as time has progressed.

No, we travel pretty frequently, and this is the biggest mark-up I've ever seen. But don't think for a second that I think it's your fault, I just figured it was a St. Louis thing, and that it would be the same no matter what hotel we stayed at. Plus honestly, I had a great time, so it's of small consequence.

Rock_Dash wrote:As the son of a housekeeper, I'm here to let you know, you should still feel bad.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Nanda's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Psyche! I regret nothing!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! :twisted:
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dotty on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:56 pm

I feel bad for the one who has to clean the drain out of my tub.

aha ahahaha AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!! :twisted:
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:00 pm

Nanda wrote:
Rock_Dash wrote:As the son of a housekeeper, I'm here to let you know, you should still feel bad.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Nanda's small heart grew three sizes that day."

The only problem is that the people who have to clean out the tub aren't the ones responsible for raising the taxes. They will be sitting in their nice, comfy offices totally unaffected.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rock_dash on Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:12 pm

ivstudios wrote:
Nanda wrote:

The only problem is that the people who have to clean out the tub aren't the ones responsible for raising the taxes. They will be sitting in their nice, comfy offices totally unaffected.

Sorta my point, but it's okay. It's not like it was a malicious tub staining or anything. They'll clean it up, complain a whole lot and do it all again the next day.
Rock_dash
NOTHING

Postby Dave Against The Machine on Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:15 pm

Nanda wrote:They taxed us so much that I don't feel bad about staining their bathtub and towels slightly purple anymore! Viva la resistance!

I stained one red............. But I didn't think they wanted it back.
Dave Against The Machine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Nanda on Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:24 pm

ivstudios wrote:The only problem is that the people who have to clean out the tub aren't the ones responsible for raising the taxes. They will be sitting in their nice, comfy offices totally unaffected.

Sorta my point, but it's okay. It's not like it was a malicious tub staining or anything. They'll clean it up, complain a whole lot and do it all again the next day.

Yeah, that's the thing, all joking aside, I didn't do it deliberately. In fact, I tried very, VERY hard not to get any purple on anything. The tub ended up just slightly tinged - I doubt anyone but me, who was overly conscious of it, would even notice. I even tried to clean it up, but I didn't have any bleach, so I couldn't do much. The towels will also come clean with bleach, which I'm certain they have to do anyway.
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jim North on Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:31 pm

RAR TAXES

TIME FOR THE REVOLUTION

:evil:

(seriously, damn)
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Aeridus on Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:53 pm

Yeah, hotel taxes are a bitch, but the trip was still worth it. ;) When I went up to Canada for a week I think I ended up paying $400 total...
My Jam Avatar!

Village Idiot Vs World webcomic and other works of art

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer
Aeridus
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Community Get-Togethers