Free poker online. THIS IS NOT SPAM!

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.

Free poker online. THIS IS NOT SPAM!

Postby Mo on Wed May 10, 2006 6:58 am

To refresh my (as it turns out, rather poor) poker skills for the Cookout, I've been playing poker online for a bit. Since we've done this with Monopoly before and it was just more fun to play with CGers than with all them strangers, I wanted to ask if any of you guys wanna meet up online for some poker practicing. It's free, and it's possible to create private tables. There are explanations for the rules too for those who've never played. And they offer different varieties of poker too.

I mean sure, everybody can learn poker at the cookout, but personally, I prefer to come "prepared", and I figured maybe others do, too.

So, anyone interested?

Intentionally not posting a link yet cause I don't want it to look like spam. >_> And if nobody's interested, there's no reason to do so anyway.

Please don't move this to OT, it's meant for Cookout people first and foremost, though anybody else may of course join in. Just... you know. *cough*
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby Jim North on Wed May 10, 2006 7:22 am

OMG SPAM

Yah, I might join in.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Wed May 10, 2006 7:24 am

Heh. Don't stress Cookie, we're not playing strip poker or playing for real money. Your wallet and honor are safe at poker night.

Five Card Draw - each player dealt five cards. Betting begins. Each player returns up to three cards (four if you show you are holding an ace) and gets new cards. Bet again. Winner is the one with the best hand.

Seven Card Draw - like five card except you get seven cards, and MUST discard at least two.

Five card Stud - two cards are dealt face up. Bet. One card face down (you can look at your card), bet. One more down, bet. One more up, bet.

Seven card stud - like five card except it's: two up one down/bet, one down/bet, one down/bet, one down/bet, one up/bet

Kings game - Complex. Will show, it's not on poker sites.

Texas Holdem - players each get two cards face down. Bet. Three cards displayed face up (community cards), bet. One more up (comunity), bet, one more up (community), bet.

Omaha - Good one for experienced poker players to steal the moeny from inexperienced ones. Four cards down each. Bet. Three up (community cards), bet. one up (community card), bet. One up (community card), bet. The best hand is taken from: three cards on the table and two in your hand. So if you have three queens in your hand, you can only use two of em.

Three card poker - you're dealt two cards down, bet. One more down, bet.

Blackjack: probably not play due to dealer requirement.
Caribbean poker - see above.
hold 'em - see above.

Screw your Neighbor - each person puts four bets out. Everyone is dealt one card. Starting to the left of the dealer, you may choose to hold onto your card, or trade with the person to your left. When it gets to teh dealer, dealer can either hold the card or trade with the top of the pile. Loser pays one bet into pot. Continue until only one person has any bets left.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Mo on Wed May 10, 2006 7:29 am

rkolter wrote:Heh. Don't stress Cookie, we're not playing strip poker or playing for real money. Your wallet and honor are safe at poker night.

I don't like how that implies they may NOT be safe one of the OTHER nights. :o

Oh, and I don't stress. But even if neither money nor, uh, clothing are at stake, I'd still like to win. ;)

And thanks for laying out the rules for all those variants of poker.
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby Garneta on Wed May 10, 2006 8:20 am

rkolter wrote:we're not playing strip poker

Well geez, what's the point then? :wink:
Image Image Image
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Postby Tynan on Wed May 10, 2006 8:39 am

There's non strip poker?

WHAT ELSE HAVEN'T YOU TOLD ME!?
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR

Postby Kris X on Wed May 10, 2006 8:51 am

Tynan wrote:There's non strip poker?

Pst, not all poker chips are edible. Oh and when meeting at the CG cookout it's customary for all people named Tynan to rip off their shirts and awe the ladies, then buy them chocolates.
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten

Postby Garneta on Wed May 10, 2006 9:23 am

Kris X wrote:

Pst, not all poker chips are edible. Oh and when meeting at the CG cookout it's customary for all people named Tynan to rip off their shirts and awe the ladies, then buy them chocolates.

Not the cheap kind, either! It's gotta be the good chocolate!
Image Image Image
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Postby Mo on Wed May 10, 2006 9:26 am

Well anyhow, playing with Robin now and the computer players pwn our sorrow behinds. XD
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby Rkolter on Wed May 10, 2006 11:09 am

Kat North wrote:
rkolter wrote:we're not playing strip poker

Well geez, what's the point then? :wink:

If we play strip poker, you'd all end up naked, and I'd end up with all the clothing. I'd sell the clothing, and then you'd have to be naked throughout the cookout. I'm cooking during the cookout and hot grease may splatter your naked bodies. Thus, no strip poker.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
Rkolter

Postby Mo on Wed May 10, 2006 11:12 am

That's so considerate of you! XD

Also we might kill Vort.
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby RemusShepherd on Wed May 10, 2006 11:31 am

rkolter wrote:If we play strip poker, you'd all end up naked, and I'd end up with all the clothing. ... Thus, no strip poker.

I read that as, 'Thus, no strip poker involving Rkolter.' :)

I'd play online with y'all, but my net connection is poor and it'd be frustrating. Besides, I don't need to practice; I don't mind losing at poker when neither money nor clothing is involved.

If you want to play a strip card game, I have Xxxenophile. You may know Phil Foglio as a great comic artist, but you might not have realized that he's a dirty, dirty man... :)
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tellurider on Wed May 10, 2006 3:27 pm

I'll take a stab at it, Cookie, but only after 5pm EDT on monday. That's when my finals are due so after that I am gloriously free to do whatever I want.

Not that I'm doing anything productive now...

And if it weren't for the whole "no booze" thing we could TOTALLY play super awesome fun card games like Asshole and Kings and Fuck the Dealer.

You know for blackjack we could just rotate dealers so that everyone has a turn at being the "house," that way there's not just one person accumulating stuff.
updates Thursdays
Tellurider
Cartoon Hero

Postby Joel Fagin on Wed May 10, 2006 3:31 pm

Why not?

Oh... Because I have to go to work. Darn.

I'm free tomorrow, though, but my timezone's always been a bit awkward so que sera sera.

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Tynan on Wed May 10, 2006 3:59 pm

Kat North wrote:
Kris X wrote:

Not the cheap kind, either! It's gotta be the good chocolate!

WHAT!?!?!?!
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR

Postby Phact0rri on Wed May 10, 2006 4:54 pm

no matter how much I practice I will still suck. I've played poker a few times but don't remember the rules or anything.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Prettysenshi on Thu May 11, 2006 9:55 am

OMG strip poker!!?

Man! Now I really want to go to the cookout!
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby STrRedWolf on Thu May 11, 2006 9:38 pm

Texas Hold'em actually doesn't need a dedicated dealer, but it's easer to designate one.

I'm also intrested in Razz myself (lowest cards win, duplicates penalize you, straights/flushes? What are they? and the best hand is the "Wheel", A-2-3-4-5).

If folks are in Second Life, you're welcome to come by Shotgun Shells in Furnation Vista (65, 215). I have a poker table there. Granted, it'll cost you some money, but then it's more fun. :)
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Postby Rkolter on Mon May 15, 2006 10:29 am

Kings Game:

Everyone is dealt three cards. Five additional cards are laid out on the table: face up, down, down, down, and up.

You bet one dollar (or something of real interest in our case). After bets are made, all players show their three cards.

Then everyone selects one set of cards (these are in order - so left/down/down means left, and the next two down cards):

Left/down/down or

Right/down/down or

down/down/down or

left/right

The down cards are then flipped up. The winner is the one with the best hand of five given the three in front of them, and the ones they selected.

Why is it the Kings game? Kings are wild.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Tellurider on Mon May 15, 2006 7:40 pm

That's not Kings!

You fan the cards out facedown in a circle on the table. For your turn, you draw a card. The rules change a little from game to game but the way I usually play is:

2 is you (pick someone to drink)
3 is me (drink)
4 is ho's (women drink)
5 is waterfall (everyone stands and starts drinking. you can only stop when the person to your right stops, so it sucks to be sitting to the right of the person who drew the card cause everyone drinks before you and you have to keep going)
6 is dicks (men drink)
7 is heaven (last person with their hands up in the air drinks)
8 is date (you pick another person to drink with you)
9 is bust a rhyme (say a phrase, the next person in the circle has to say another phrase that rhymes with it, until someone fails and they drink)
10 is categories (name a category, e.g. NHL teams. each person has to say something in that category, e.g. Avalanche, Rangers, Oilers, until someone fails and they drink. no repeats.)
Jack is never-have-I-ever
Queen is Questions (see the question game in forum games - if you answer a question you drink)
King is, you pour part of your drink into a cup in the center. Person who gets the last King has to drink it. Extra fun when people are drinking different things.
Ace is rule - you make a rule. Popular rules are: when I put my thumb on the table, everyone else has to, last one drinks; there is a little green man sitting on your drink, and every time you drink you have to take him off and put him back on; you can't say "drink"; everything you say must include swearing; you can't point; etc. Failure to comply with the rules results in a penalty drink.

Another popluar card assignment is social, since rules vary from game to game I'm not really sure where to put it.

Now that is Kings. That we will not be playing. Because the cookout is dry. Although hypothetically you could play with some sort of soft drink.
updates Thursdays
Tellurider
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Community Get-Togethers