Gamecube at the Cookout?

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.

Postby Joel Fagin on Wed May 10, 2006 9:46 pm

No, it's a Gamecube. It's not a cube.

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Jim North on Wed May 10, 2006 9:56 pm

So people who are called "Ronald" can't also be a "Ron"? Or "Jessie" a "Jess"? Or "Gamecube" a "Cube"?
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Joel Fagin on Wed May 10, 2006 10:15 pm

Jim North wrote:So people who are called "Ronald" can't also be a "Ron"? Or "Jessie" a "Jess"? Or "Gamecube" a "Cube"?

"Ron" and "Jess" are accepted diminutives which are also not already established English adjectives.

And, heck, that doesn't make them their names anyway. That's not on their birth certificates in the same way that "cube" isn't trademarked.

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Jim North on Wed May 10, 2006 10:22 pm

"Cube" is a generally accepted nickname for the GameCube. And if you want a nickname example that is already an established English word . . . "Chuck" from "Charles". And the trademark status of Cube isn't under debate. A nickname is still a name, official or no.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Joel Fagin on Wed May 10, 2006 10:37 pm

Then call it a nickname. "Name" implies legitimatecy. For example, "Ron" and "Jess" can be legitimate names or nicknames, whereas as far as I know, "Chuck" is simply a nickname. If not, just put it on the Ron and Jess side.

Cube certainly is not legitimate, and neither are a number of other, uh, less than complimentry nicknames. Try telling people those are just as valid as "Chuck".

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Jim North on Wed May 10, 2006 10:47 pm

Any name can be legitimate, including Chuck, and I do believe that there have been a fair number of people born with "Chuck" on their birth certificate. As far as human beings go, anything you stick on the certificate is fair game. I had a great uncle S L and another great uncle J L. US President Harry Truman had the middle name S . . . just S. There've been Rainbows and Starshines running around since the sixties. I knew of a kid named Tre'en. Not Trenton. Tre'en. There's no real calling foul on what's legitimate as a name.

Besides, legitimacy as far as legal concerns go is, once again, irrelevant to the conversation. We're not trying to put the GameCube on trial or hire it for a job or figure out its taxes. We're just talking about what it is in a general sense. Many people call it Cube, so therefore it is a Cube in that that is one of its names. Whether this is a nickname or an officially Nintendo endorsed name or what have you is inconsequential.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Joel Fagin on Wed May 10, 2006 11:14 pm

Wait, wait, wait. Can I just pluck out what I was actually originally arguing about here? I'll add a touch of empathsis.

Jim North wrote:It's proper name is Cube

Right, so now we're at...

Jim North wrote:"Cube" is a generally accepted nickname for the GameCube.

Which is what I said.

Joel Fagin wrote:Then call it a nickname.

So, we agree.

Er, right?

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Mo on Thu May 11, 2006 12:09 am

*sneaks into the thread*

*looks around*

Nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrds!

*vanishes into the night*
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

YOU PEOPLE ARE NUTS. XD

Postby Cope on Thu May 11, 2006 12:20 am

It's obviously a triangle.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby Rock_dash on Thu May 11, 2006 12:46 am

So uh...anybody want to bring thier Nintendo Gameshape to the Cookout? :-?
ImageImage
Rock_dash
NOTHING

I shouldn't even be in this forum... >_>

Postby Cope on Thu May 11, 2006 1:14 am

You insufferable fence-sitter!
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Gamecube @ Cookout

Postby Fading Aura on Thu May 11, 2006 6:19 am

rock_dash wrote:So uh...anybody want to bring thier Nintendo Gameshape to the Cookout? :-?

I live only two hours from the Kolters, so I have no qualms about bringing mine. I only have two controllers, so someone will need to bring two more.

I only have Soul Calibur II and Tales of Symphonia (which I probably won't bring) in terms of games. So, if we're going to play Smash, someone's going to have to bring a memory card with everything unlocked and the game itself. ;)
When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look, but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown; the dream is gone. And I have become comfortably numb.
Fading Aura
Regular Poster

Postby Jim North on Thu May 11, 2006 7:20 am

Joel Fagin wrote:Wait, wait, wait. Can I just pluck out what I was actually originally arguing about here? I'll add a touch of empathsis.

Jim North wrote:It's proper name is Cube

Ah, I was thinking about this shortly after I turned off the computer last night, and I see the problem now is a matter of miscommunication. I was not using "proper" in the British/Aussie sense of "true" or "real" (like the difference between a prosthetic leg and a proper leg), a meaning which it is rarely ever - if ever - used for here in the States . . . but more in the sense of a proper noun as opposed to a common noun (like the difference between "man" and "Stanley"), meaning that it is called a Cube in a specific sense while it is called just a game system in a more general one.

In any case, as I have been trying to point out, it still doesn't matter which way I meant it as it as far as the point I was trying to make was concerned. The legality of the name "Cube" is a complete non-issue in this case, and it still kind of confuses me as to why you bothered arguing it.

But it you want to argue it, then no, I don't agree. A nickname is still a name. You can bring up the "well, it's not on your birth certificate, so it's not a real name" argument again, but I do want to remind you that I am an Anarchist, so "because the government said so" doesn't really impress me all that much. Jim is one of my names, just as much as Roland is, regardless of whether I can cash a check made out to Jim North or not.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Garneta on Thu May 11, 2006 8:08 am

Jim North wrote:We're not trying to put the GameCube on trial or hire it for a job or figure out its taxes.

:D Figuring out it's taxes. Lol!
Image Image Image
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Re: Gamecube @ Cookout

Postby Rock_dash on Thu May 11, 2006 11:08 am

Fading Aura wrote:
rock_dash wrote:So uh...anybody want to bring thier Nintendo Gameshape to the Cookout? :-?

I live only two hours from the Kolters, so I have no qualms about bringing mine. I only have two controllers, so someone will need to bring two more.

I only have Soul Calibur II and Tales of Symphonia (which I probably won't bring) in terms of games. So, if we're going to play Smash, someone's going to have to bring a memory card with everything unlocked and the game itself. ;)

All right, excellent! I can bring Smash Bros, my memory card with damn near everything unlocked, and two controllers, including a Wavebird :D
ImageImage
Rock_dash
NOTHING

Postby Dave Against The Machine on Wed May 17, 2006 8:31 pm

I like the idea for the 64 and golden eye, like said at the begeing of this thread. Back when that game was new, man thats all I did was play GE. But I don't have my 64 any more. :cry: If im not mistaken. I beleave in 2005, it was still voted best console. But I could have misunder stood. Ok, I had to get the gammer out of me. I'm gonna shut up now.
Dave Against The Machine
Cartoon Hero

Previous

Return to Community Get-Togethers