2006 St. Louis Cook-Out Breakfast Thread

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.

2006 St. Louis Cook-Out Breakfast Thread

Postby Fading Aura on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:10 pm

Here's the run-down on breakfast for the 2006 cook-out. I'm keeping the menu small since I'm assuming there will be a little over 20-some guests to feed. :o

Breakfast will start at 10 AM so everyone will have time to recover from the night before. It'll cost $5 a person. This fee will cover the ingredients, flatware and drinks. Any profit made (which will probably be about a buck a person) will be donated to Ryan to help cover the costs of the cookout.

What's being served (Updated April 25th)
Main Dishes: Aura's Awful(-ly Good) Waffles (Belgian and standard, with or without cinnamon) | Egg-in-a-Hole (recipe is here for the uninitiated) | The DM's French Toast of Doom!
Veggie Alternative: Waffles a la Applesauce
Drinks: Milk, Juice, Water
Cups, napkins, plates, butter, powdered sugar and syrup will be provided

Who's helping (i.e. the kitchen crew - updated May 9th)
So far, BOMC, Cookie, Jim North, Kat North, legostargalactica, RemusShepard, phactorri, Pimpette and rock_dash have volunteered to help out. I'll need two people to man the waffle irons (instructions will be provided), two people to serve the other guests and one person to make egg-in-the-hole (again, instructions will be provided). Kitchen assignments for Jim North and Phactorri are pending.

Who's eating (Updated May 31st)
If your name isn't on this list, you're not being served breakfast (unless you mooch off of someone else, but, hey, that's not exactly fair).

BOMC | Brockway | christwriter | Cookie | cortland | Dave Against the Machine | Fading Aura | Faub | Ladydarke | legostargalactica | Jim North | Joel Fagin | K-Dawg | Kat North | Kris X | mrs_rkolter | Pimpette | Proteus | RemusShepherd | rkolter | rock_dash | sincerely | Sparrow | Spriteville USA | Tim | Tynan | Vorticus

What I need to know: Who's coming?
If you want breakfast, I need to know ASAP! Please send a PM or reply to this thread if you're eating and what you prefer to eat so 1) we'll have what we need to cook with and 2) we won't run out of ingredients due to last minute changes. And, whatever you do, please don't sign up for breakfast and then decide to not eat it that day. The last thing I want is leftovers (unless rkolter agrees to blow them up in his back yard).

The master list of attendees will be kept in this post for your convenience.
Last edited by Fading Aura on Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:31 am, edited 12 times in total.
When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look, but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown; the dream is gone. And I have become comfortably numb.
Fading Aura
Regular Poster

Postby Tellurider on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Probably won't be staying for breakfast, but I'll let you know when I know for sure.

A lot of vegetarians are okay with eggs, but there's always fake eggs. Like whaddyacallem... substitutes. I'm sure there's some vegan egg substitutes out there.

And there's the ever-popular cold cereal with soy milk.

And fruit. Like fruit salad or something. Melon! yeah.... melon is tasty.
Tellurider
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kris X on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:33 pm

Pwease feed me? :cry:
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten

Postby Rock_dash on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:21 pm

Just a reminder, put me down for breakfast and helping. I'll have that egg hole thing and some juice
ImageImage
Rock_dash
NOTHING

Postby Black Sparrow on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:53 am

I'm a vegetarian, not vegan, so eggs and cheese are okay, in my case. I usually just skip any meat that may be included... So no need to make up a special menu for me! Image

And thanks guys.
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero

Postby Cortland on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:58 am

I definitely want breakfast. Put me down for a little bit of everything. :D
Image Image
Cortland
Cartoon Hero

Postby RemusShepherd on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:59 am

I'd like to stay for breakfast. I am willing to help cook or clean, whatever you need. Waffles are fine by me.
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:17 am

i have offered several times to help make breakfast (also to help with eating it)
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Faub on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:57 am

I want breakfast too! I can help if help is needed, wanted and I'm available.
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Rock_dash on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:15 pm

Black Sparrow wrote:I'm a vegetarian, not vegan, so eggs and cheese are okay, in my case. I usually just skip any meat that may be included... So no need to make up a special menu for me! Image

And thanks guys.

Ooh, ooh! I'll take your meat! :D
ImageImage
Rock_dash
NOTHING

Postby Dr Legostar on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:18 pm

rock_dash wrote:
Black Sparrow wrote:I'm a vegetarian, not vegan, so eggs and cheese are okay, in my case. I usually just skip any meat that may be included... So no need to make up a special menu for me! Image

And thanks guys.

Ooh, ooh! I'll take your meat! :D

so... many... comments.... so... little.... ::head explodes::

i'm fairly skilled at making all sorts of breakfast foods, it's probably my favorite meal of the day, foodwise at least.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Jim North on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:31 pm

I can help out by makin' french toast. It's about the only thing I can cook, but it's generally agreed to be far better than anyone else's french toast.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Garneta on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:02 pm

Well, I'll offer to help...even though I don't think the Kolters kitchen could fit all of us who've offered help by now! :wink:
Image Image Image
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Postby Joel Fagin on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:06 pm

I'm not going to offer to help because it's getting silly. At this rate, we'd all cook and then swap breakfasts with each other. Image

But I'm certainly up for some waffles.

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

French Toast & Batter Fight!

Postby Fading Aura on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:16 pm

Jim North wrote:I can help out by makin' french toast. It's about the only thing I can cook, but it's generally agreed to be far better than anyone else's french toast.

My only concern with french toast is the time it'll take to make. Since there'll be 40 or so hungry cartoonists waiting for food, it seems like everyone would be waiting quite a while. But, if you wanted to limit the number of people who get french toast or make two pieces max for everyone, it could work. Let me know what you think (and what ingredients you'll need). I might substitute egg-in-a-hole for this on the menu if everyone's okay with that.

Joel Fagin wrote:I'm not going to offer to help because it's getting silly. At this rate, we'd all cook and then swap breakfasts with each other. Image

Hey, that's a great idea!

No, wait. rkolter probably wouldn't want to deal with the ensuing mess that would be left of his kitchen afterwards. I'm sure waffle batter will be enough once we start a batter fight. ;)
When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look, but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown; the dream is gone. And I have become comfortably numb.
Fading Aura
Regular Poster

Postby Pimpette on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:25 pm

Our little Canadian troupe should be staying for breakfast.

I offer to help with anything that needs helping - if there's anything for me to do now that just about everyone's helping out. :D
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Postby Faub on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:50 pm

If half of the hungry comickers are helping you cook, what difference does it make?
Faub

The Canadian Crew

Postby Fading Aura on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:49 pm

Pimpette wrote:Our little Canadian troupe should be staying for breakfast.

So that would be you, Tynan, Keffria and K-Dawg, right?
Fading Aura
Regular Poster

Re: 2006 St. Louis Cook-Out Breakfast Thread

Postby Rkolter on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:02 pm

Fading Aura wrote:The last thing I want is leftovers (unless rkolter agrees to blow them up in his back yard).

If I blow up the leftovers, what will I eat for breakfast monday when all you folks have cleared out?

How about this - anyone who orders, but doesn't eat, has to hold the exploding watermelon? :twisted: It may not keep leftovers down this year, but I guarantee nobody will pull that trick next year. Or at least, one person less will do so.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Re: 2006 St. Louis Cook-Out Breakfast Thread

Postby Dr Legostar on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:12 pm

rkolter wrote:
Fading Aura wrote:The last thing I want is leftovers (unless rkolter agrees to blow them up in his back yard).

If I blow up the leftovers, what will I eat for breakfast monday when all you folks have cleared out?

How about this - anyone who orders, but doesn't eat, has to hold the exploding watermelon? :twisted: It may not keep leftovers down this year, but I guarantee nobody will pull that trick next year. Or at least, one person less will do so.

we can just do the serbian thing and send everybody home with some of the food.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Next

Return to Community Get-Togethers