Cookout - How you can Help

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.

Cookout - How you can Help

Postby Rkolter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:16 pm

I've been asked to make this post.

Here's how you can help out to make the cookout a success.

1) If you want to donate cash to Beth and I for use in the cookout and activities, feel free to do so. We'll use it for that, honest. A couple hundred bucks would take the edge off, but if we get zero, we'll still find a way to make it all cool and fun. :)

2) We need 3 grills of decent size (webber round grills for example) that can be transported in cars.

3) We need ice chests. Lots of ice chests.

4) We need people willing to pick folks up at the airport and transport them around - to the hotel, to the home, and to the cookout and back.

5) If someone has a van they'd be willing to lend us or make available for a couple days, that'd just rock. Our insurance travels with us.

6) Food donations for people staying over at our home Thurs/Fri/Sat night. Also vegetarian foodstuffs in general.

7) Pillows and Blankets for those people staying with us (provide a label for them or be ready to remember which were yours or to give 'em to us, since they'll definately be in use).

Most of the other things we need can be resolved with #1. For example, we need to buy a hundred plus pounds of meat. That means money, and it's simpler than having you bring us meat. :)

Anything that you donate will be returned if possible, and if you offer to donate, you'll be expected to come through because we'll plan on you making available what you promised.

Things we have gotten:

FADING AURA: She is hosting the Sunday breakfast at our home. There's no reasonable way we'd get the entire IHOP and the prices are hefty. The breakfast costs $4-5 apiece, and for that you get:

Eggs,
Belgian Waffles (one or two)
Syrup
Milk
OJ
Plates/utensils/cups/napkins
Some kind of Vegetarian alternative (to be determined)

If you are interested, Fading Aura needs a count of who plans to eat breakfast - please contact her directly via PM. The Kolters, aside from providing a place to eat and a kitchen for FA, aren't doing anything with this thing.

FAUB: Faub is doing the cookout shirts, please see the main cookout thread for details. He watches it. The Kolters are not involved in this either (aside from getting our shirts!!).
Last edited by Rkolter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Cookout Breakfast

Postby Fading Aura on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:22 pm

rkolter wrote:The breakfast costs $4-5 apiece, and for that you get:
Eggs, Belgian Waffles (one or two), Syrup, Milk, OJ, Plates/utensils/cups/napkins, Some kind of Vegetarian alternative (to be determined)

I'm still calculating the cost for all that, but I think $4-5 will cover it. I'll post a definite price after doing some shopping. ^_^
rkolter wrote:If you are interested, Fading Aura needs a count of who plans to eat breakfast - please contact her directly via PM. The Kolters, aside from providing a place to eat and a kitchen for FA, aren't doing anything with this thing.

This is really important! Knowing how many people are coming will give me an idea of how much stuff to buy. I'd really rather not have twenty leftover waffles to take home. :-?

Now, where to find a chef's hat and an apron that says "Kiss the Cook" . . . :D
When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look, but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown; the dream is gone. And I have become comfortably numb.
Fading Aura
Regular Poster

Re: Cookout Breakfast

Postby Mo on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:56 am

Fading Aura wrote:Now, where to find a chef's hat and an apron that says "Kiss the Cook" . . . :D

I have a Winnie the Pooh apron that says "Cuddle the Cook". :D
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby Joel Fagin on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:23 am

I'm a real cook. I have no apron and get the ingredients all over my shirt.

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Mo on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:27 am

But then you don't get any cuddles!

Actually I never use the apron. But when one cooks alone, which is the case most of the time, one does not care about getting the ingredients all over everything one wears, and neither does one expect any cuddles anyhow.
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby Joel Fagin on Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:43 am

Cookie wrote:But then you don't get any cuddles!

True. Image

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Rkolter on Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:56 am

I'm a cook, I get ingredients pretty much where they belong, AND I get cuddles. Now back to the topic you postwhores.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
Rkolter

Postby Mo on Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:36 am

'kay, back on topic: I oughta be able to bring a modest donation in cash when I come... Can't donate in advance and I'd rather not say a specific amount at this point, I'm waiting for some info 'bout my taxes (I might either get money back, or have to pay some)... I'll do what I'll be able to, least I can do.

Anyway, since I probably won't be able to bring ingredients / buy stuff to make food of my own, I want everybody to feel free to use me in the kitchen to help out and stuff. Though I really think that's a given. :)

...and I'll *still* feel like a leech. XD

Oh and... do you still need someone to make name tags?
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby Pimpette on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:18 am

The three of us will be at the breakfast, although we may have to leave shortly afterwards.

<3 for people who cook me breakfast.
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Postby RemusShepherd on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:28 am

I can cook lasagna for 20 people, given enough kitchen space and time. I can make/help with/donate for breakfast (and one way or another, I will be attending the breakfast). I can order six dozen pizzas and time them to make sure they arrive in 30 minutes or less. I can donate cash if you need it. Just let me know what you need, Ryan.
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rock_dash on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:04 am

I said it in the other thread, but I'll repeat it here too

I'll look into getting some blankets and pillows in town tomorrow, and depending on my tax return, I'll try to make a cash donation. Also, I want to help out wherever else I can. I'm definetly going with Vort to help set up at the site of the cookout. Basically, just tell me whatever I can do, and I'll do my best.
ImageImage
Rock_dash
NOTHING

Postby Tim on Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:16 am

Can I get out of "bringing a dish to share" if I make a relatively sizable donation to the general food fund? :)
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Location: Bay State, ol' Bay State, I lift my heart to you (bum bum bum)

Postby Garneta on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:19 pm

I doubt we'll be able to donate any money, but we'll be coming up on the 1st, so we can help out with whatever's needed. I'm gonna try and get car insurance before going up there, so hopefully will be able to help with the chauffeuring, if people are okay with squeezing into my backseat, and if I have good directions. And I'll help out in the kitchen too if anyone needs me there.
Image Image Image
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Postby Vorticus on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:07 pm

I'll see what food I can bring that will survive the trip. I have this one recipe for fudge...
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend

Postby Rock_dash on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:12 pm

Well, I already asked the Kolters if I can use thier kitchen to make some cottage cheese salad. I just need someone to give me a ride to the store so I can pick up the stuff I need. I was toying with the idea of making a key lime cheesecake instead, but I dunno how that'd work out. So I'll just stick with something I know.
ImageImage
Rock_dash
NOTHING

Postby Ekolter on Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:25 pm

Tim: Yes, you can donate instead of bringing/cooking food.

Rock: Key Lime?! Only if you use real limes. Ryan's a sucker for real key lime pie and the likes.

Anyone else: There are like a dozen grocery stores near us if you want to wait until you arrive to buy things. Just a heads up.
Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:11 am

Bump.

Frankly people, this cookout couldn't come at a worse time for the Kolter finances. We're still paying off my medical bills from last year, and with the new cars (almost a necessity), the move, losing our roommate (happening soon), and two trips we -have- to take in the next three months... well, ick.

Again, this doesn't mean the cookout is endangered. Hell, I'd sell possessions to make it happen (actually, we have been).

Just that we might not be able to buy lots of extra pillows and blankets, that we could use some help getting people to and from the airport and hotel and cookout site, and of course, if you happen to have spare cash, we'd be just delighted and thrilled to take it from you. ;)

I'm not doing any sort of formal accounting here - but if you have the things listed earlier, bring 'em. If you want to pitch in cash... mail it! :) I'd do a donation button but jeez - they steal 3%. I'll also by request put up an anonymous drop box for donations at the cookout.

mailing address:

Ryan or Beth Kolter
c/o Cookout!
11324 Gardenview Lane
St. Ann, MO 63074
USA

I've had a couple people tell us now "Quit your bitching and take the cash and just say thank you when you get it." That's really amazingly nice of people. So yeah - all donations accepted, and heartfelt thanks and hugs from anyone who does so.

Anyone who donates should get something though. I dunno what - maybe a button for your signature or a photo of me in drag, or maybe we'll ceremonially blow up a stuffed animal in your honor. Dunno. Got any ideas?

Anyway, thank you.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Kris X on Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:26 pm

Cookies for donations, now that's a motivator.

If I get a job in the next week or two maybe I can help out. :-? Just thanking you guys for hosting this, letting me crash at your place, and driving me back and forth to the airport. Mucho thanks! Luffs ya two!
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten

Postby Garneta on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:16 pm

Kris X wrote:Just thanking you guys for hosting this, letting me crash at your place

Me too! If we weren't able to stay there we definately wouldn't have been able to come (these last couple weeks it's been kinda iffy even with that)
Image Image Image
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Postby Rkolter on Thu May 18, 2006 7:36 pm

UPDATE: This is what we need and what we have:

NEED:

1) Cash donations still welcome. If you want to help but don't know what to do, then this is a great option. It's really the best option since if you bring something and someone else brings the same thing, it doesn't help. Also since we'll be putting the sizeable outlay of cash out up front for the food, soda, corn, grills, renting of refrigeration equipment, etcetera - things you can't bring anyway.

2) Ice Chests - cheap or pricy; we need them.

3) People willing to move people around and transport food and materials to and from the cookout site on Saturday. This includes the grills (clean at least on the way there), charcoal, utensils, plates, ice, ice chests, food, guests, etcetera.

4) Pillows and Blankets for the people staying here.

5) Bring your nerf (and only really soft nerf type) equipment to beat StrRedWolf with. Nothing hard or with a hard core; we're being silly, not mean.

SPECIFICALLY HAVE:

We bought three grills so we're good there. Ditto grilling equipment.

We have towels, toilet paper, paper plates, cups, and utensils. Also BBQ sauce.

Nerf bat for hitting StrRedWolf.

Fading Aura is handling breakfast; Faub is handling the shirts.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Next

Return to Community Get-Togethers