The St. Louis Cookout RPG Thread

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.

The St. Louis Cookout RPG Thread

Postby Jim North on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:02 pm

Ahoy, and welcome to the one and only Cookout RPG Thread, companion to the 2006 St. Louis Comic Cookout Thread! Due to the increasing number of people coming to the cookout this year - thus raising the number of potential RPG players - I have created this thread to contain all the chaos that shall surely ensue from the game preperation, character creation, and general RPG-related craziness.

Currently, two gamemasters have stepped forward to head up games . . . myself and Orion. Why two? Well, for the past two years of the cookout, a single person has handled all the RPG playing, and I dunno about the first year (I was sadly unable to attend), but the second year Shadowrun game I GMed was a little unwieldy for my tastes. I'm sure everyone had fun, but I'd rather run a few small, managable games than one huge one again. So, two GMs! Maybe more, if some other folks want to volunteer.

Orion has said that he will be running a game of Ninja Burger . . . details to follow as soon as he posts them. In the meantime . . .

-----

Gamemaster: Jim North
Game: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5E
No. of Players: 4*
Game Alignment: Any**

Accepted Sourcebooks
Player's Handbook 3.5E
Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5E
Monster Manual 3.5E
Deities and Demigods***
Libris Mortis
Manual of the Planes
Planar Handbook

"House" Rules
Due to a certain someone - *cough*orion*cough* :P - I have decided to instate a restriction on special requests for character creation. You get one special request. That's no guarantee that you'll actually get a request; just that after you get that one, that's it.

We'll be starting at level 1. If somone (or ones) wants to play a monster character, the max allowed level adjustment is +1, and in this case everyone else will be playing at level 2 and I will make minor adjustments to the adventure accordingly.

*Not including Kat, who will be playing with us. This number can be upped to 5 if necessary.
**I can do Good, Evil, or Otherwise, but it has to be figured out sooner rather than later so I can get a good head start on creating the adventure.
***I would prefer anyone playing a cleric to stick to the basic D&D pantheon, but this is negotiable.
Last edited by Jim North on Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Re: The St. Louis Cookout RPG Thread

Postby Orion on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:07 pm

Jim North wrote:
"House" Rules
Due to a certain someone - *cough*orion*cough* :P - I have decided to instate a restriction on special requests for character creation. You get one special request. That's no guarantee that you'll actually get a request; just that after you get that one, that's it.

Bah!! Bah I say!!

I'll keep saying it because I've got no particular defense here.

Bah!
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jim North on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:09 pm

Less Bah! and more Ninja Burger, fool!
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Orion on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:06 pm

okay, since you had to go and get all organized I guess I will too >:P

gamemaster: Orion Gates (and don't you forget it)
System: Ninja Burger, PDQ rules
No. of players: let's say 7 people max.

IRemember to make it clear who you're joining up with when you volunteer for a game.

Since most of you have likely not heard of PDQ and few know of ninja burger here's the basics.

Ninja Burger--" Delivery anywhere in 30 minutes or less or we will commit seppuku" --The Ninja Burger Slogan. Ninja Burger is a game of fast food delivery, honor, and battles to the death. The characters will all be Ninja Deliverymen and you will be charged with carrying out your deliveries swiftly and silently, destroying anyone who stands in your way. Obviously this is a somewhat silly game. But it includes a side dish called the "Onion Death Blossom" so how could it be bad?

PDQ System- This stands for "prose-descriptive-qualities" It is just about the loosest system you'll ever come across that isn't diceless. I figure it'll be usefull simply because of the speed with which you can pick it up and play, not to mention I happen to think it's a nifty little system myself.
I'll be heavily modifying the basic rules in order to incorporate ninja moves, fast food magic, and special techniques so it'll be a while before I can unveil the final product.

The essence of the system is here http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf. Like I said, the core rules will be modified but this should give you a good idea of the mechanics.
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:28 am

Keep in mind we already have eighteen confirmed with another 15 maybes (and of those, probably at least 5 will come for sure).

If I may suggest an option - have two DMs and one really, really big game.

One DM is responsible for controlling the game and keeping it flowing. One DM is responsible for watching die rolls, helping players, and keeping the mechanics of the game away from the first DM. You may want a third DM whose job it is to control figurines.

In this way, a game of 15-20 people can be held. Now the game itself would require some real thought to keep all the people active, but there are some excellent GMs here.

You'll also probably want a big ass map and some figurines so that everyone knows where people are and what they are doing. The figurines at the very least, will give people an idea where everyone is standing.

Having a large group would kind of bind the cookout party together, instead of ripping it into little side-groups, ya'know?

Anyhow, just a thought.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Jim North on Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:44 pm

I . . . dislike . . . co-GM and assistant GMing. To put it mildly. Surrending any part of the control of the game (even if it's something simple, like watching die-rolls) puts me a little on edge, and I'd be watching over an assistant GM's shoulder constantly to make sure they're doing right, losing any advantage of having an assistant GM. I'm just one of those gamemasters who believe that games would go so much smoother if there just weren't any players to muck everything up. ;)

Plus . . . well, I have a long long list of other reasons why I'd rather not have a giant group playing and why having several smaller groups would simply be far more advantegeous to all involved, but I don't have enough time to list them all right now. Maybe later tonight.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jim North on Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:51 pm

I should mention, by the by, that some GMs may want to go ahead and team up for the co-GM thing with a really large group of folks, and that's their perogative. Personally, I'm just going to stick with my small little group.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Orion on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:22 pm

Personally I would kind of prefer multiple groups myself. I've never tried co-GMing so I don't have any first hand knowledge of how it would work but personally I would rather create and run my own thing rather than act as a back-up referee (and I'm sure Jim feels the same) the main part of the fun of GMing would be missing if I was just handling the mechanics. Not to mention the difficulty of simply scaling challenges for a group of 12+ individuals.

if we end up having over 15 people who want to play we may want to look for a 3rd GM (you could run a game of old school AD+D RK). With 3 seperate games we should be able to handle quite a crowd.

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:28 pm

I'd love to GM, but I think you're underestimating my actual duties as a host to a party this size. Technically I'm already a GM of a large group of people for the day. :D
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter

Postby Jim North on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:47 am

Monthly bump and reminder.

If any of y'all want to play in an RPG during the cookout, please sign up here. We can take on folks and create characters during the cookout, sure, but it'd be much easier for everyone involved if we could get it all done beforehand.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Orion on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:44 am

Indeed. Also I have the rules hammered out on my version of Ninja Burger, so I'm good to go as well.

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tynan on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:42 pm

Thus I am elected to become the one true GM.

If you have a problem with that we'll just have to settle it with a little game called beer pong.
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR

Postby Spriteville, USA on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:34 pm

I'd be interested. I have experience limited to a 6 month run of All Flesh Must Be Eaten. But I'm a quick learner =] (Unless I have to remember that my character is wearing armor and actually shouldn't have gotten as hurt as I often did...)
Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero

Postby Black Sparrow on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:42 pm

They both sound pretty fun. On the D&D side, I've rarely ever actually been a player, and I'd be willing to pitch in with my small collection of miniatures. Don't know how well I'd be able to sit still and take what comes, though, even if Jim is a good DM.

On the other hand, the Ninja Burger thing sounds like a blast. New RPGs are always fun to try out, and I'd be like putty in Orion's hands.

Whichever one of you guys wants to claim me is fine by me.
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero

Postby Orion on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:53 pm

Black Sparrow wrote:They both sound pretty fun. On the D&D side, I've rarely ever actually been a player, and I'd be willing to pitch in with my small collection of miniatures. Don't know how well I'd be able to sit still and take what comes, though, even if Jim is a good DM.

On the other hand, the Ninja Burger thing sounds like a blast. New RPGs are always fun to try out, and I'd be like putty in Orion's hands.

Whichever one of you guys wants to claim me is fine by me.

ooooh

*squishes sparrow into a ball and then uses her to lift images off of the funny pages*

Awesome!!

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jim North on Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:55 pm

Black Sparrow wrote:I'd be willing to pitch in with my small collection of miniatures.

Oh, this reminds me. If anyone can help out by bringing minatures - any amount, as long as they look like peoples or monsters and will stand up on a tabletop - it would be most appreciated if they would. Sadly, I don't have a batch of my own, though I do have a grid to use them on.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:58 pm

wait do we have to pick one?
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Jim North on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:06 pm

You can certainly try to play in both, but then we'd have to schedule out when exactly we'll be running our games so we don't end up trying to do them both at the same time.

Which might be good. I'd actually like to GM one game and also play in someone else's, myself.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Orion on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:11 pm

Jim North wrote:You can certainly try to play in both, but then we'd have to schedule out when exactly we'll be running our games so we don't end up trying to do them both at the same time.

Which might be good. I'd actually like to GM one game and also play in someone else's, myself.

Same here to be perfectly honest :D

Assuming we've got a reasonable amount of time to work in it would be nice. Since we won't have the space restrictions we had the last year it shouldn't be infeasible assuming both games can be set up to play fairly short (people have to drive back to the hotels sometime after all).

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:32 pm

well could pregen characters, on the net. that would save a lot of time.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Next

Return to Community Get-Togethers