The Official Livejournal Substitute Thread!

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

Re: The Official Livejournal Substitute Thread!

Postby Rkolter on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:54 pm

McDuffies wrote:Going to elections and invalidating your form sends a clearer protest message than not appearing on elections. Just like how Rkolter leaves a tip of 1 cent to bad waiters: if you go to elections and invalidate, that means you're interested in elections but choose not to pick either candidate.

If you don't leave a tip, the waiter will either assume you forgot to tip them, or at least rationalize that you probably forgot to tip them. If you leave a nickel or a penny, they absolutely know you remembered them, and know you are commenting on their service. Just to clarify though - My base tip is 25%, and I work up or down from there. I leave 20% for good, but not particularly remarkable, service. I end up leaving 30-40% several times a year.

Anyway - likewise, if you do not go and vote, the people who look at the voting statistics and make determinations from them assume you are an apathetic voter. This is the exact opposite someone who says they aren't voting because they don't like either candidate wants. You want to be counted, and counted specifically for saying "I would vote, but I hate both main candidates."

On the other hand, if you go and vote but choose a third-party candidate or vote for a write-in candidate, your vote is counted. And the people who work up statistics and talk to the voting for the election will include you among those who didn't care for EITHER candidate. Which is what you were going for.

Plus, as someone else said, there may be other things you want to vote for other than the president - in Missouri we're voting on several initiatives in addition to the Presidency. If you don't go because you don't want to vote for a president, you also aren't voting for anything else local that you might care about.

I really, really like what Pimpette said can happen in Canada - go vote and deliberately choose neither and be recorded as an objector and not as an apathetic non-voter. I wonder why we don't offer that option in the US. Sort of a default third-party "I hate them both and want it registered" option.

Heh. Maybe because then neither candidate would get any votes. :wink:
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Rkolter on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:12 pm

By the way - Eve - Nobody should have their parents so clearly using them as a pawn to hurt the other, or to hurt other family members. What you are going through is completely god-awful and I really feel for you. Your parents are doing the wrong thing, and you are not wrong to feel hurt by it. Sorry the elections are pre-empting your rant.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
Rkolter

Postby Dr Legostar on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:41 am

Mercury Hat wrote:My one problem with the restaurant analogy is in MV's case it's not "i could go to either restaurant (candidate) but don't want to pick" it's "I hate both restaurants (candidates)".

In this case there's two restaurants (candidates) in town (the election), one always gives you stomach cramps and the other gives you blow-out food poisoning but it's your best friend of ten million years birthday (election day) and everyone ELSE is going out. Not going (leaving the country) is not an option because you'll look like a giant tool.

So what ends up happening is you either pick the one that only gives you stomach cramps (vote for the guy you hate less) and eat the food there or you go with what the others pick (don't vote) and don't eat anything there and wish you could have had a house party and ordered pizza (RON PAUL 08).

Or you move to Canada (move to Canada) I guess.

And I never said I was abstaining from voting, I just understand the motivations behind MV and others' choice.

I went with "move to Canada"
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Prettysenshi on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:47 am

It's so stuffy in this mask. I don't know if I could wear this all day. It's cold out and now the inside is condensing and argh. But I still think I look hot, so I guess that's good. I hope my friends stuck to the plan and wore their costumes, out and about, otherwise, it would totally defeat the purpose. >:(
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby Dr Legostar on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:52 am

Prettysenshi wrote:It's so stuffy in this mask. I don't know if I could wear this all day. It's cold out and now the inside is condensing and argh. But I still think I look hot, so I guess that's good. I hope my friends stuck to the plan and wore their costumes, out and about, otherwise, it would totally defeat the purpose. >:(

Don't forget you'll look like a fool.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Prettysenshi on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:55 am

Nah man. I'm having fun with this. It was my plan to be silly all day.

My bff was suppose to be Medusa, but Idk, i doubt she can pull off the off the shoulder number in the cold. She said she'd bring me a burqa? so whoot. That would be awesome. And help out my costume. Sammie didn't want to participate!! Anyway, it's mask all day, then coffee with Kaykums, and then RHPS :D
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby Dr Legostar on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:09 am

Prettysenshi wrote:Nah man. I'm having fun with this. It was my plan to be silly all day.

My bff was suppose to be Medusa, but Idk, i doubt she can pull off the off the shoulder number in the cold. She said she'd bring me a burqa? so whoot. That would be awesome. And help out my costume. Sammie didn't want to participate!! Anyway, it's mask all day, then coffee with Kaykums, and then RHPS :D

you are speaking in some language i do not understand.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:12 am

What are you wearing?
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby Prettysenshi on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:18 am

TheSuburbanLetdown wrote:What are you wearing?

My bday dress, with a hoodie on top, cuz it's freezing, and then a V mask. Costumes are expensive :O So yeah, that's really it. I figure "Ya know what? Fuck all this. I'm in college and broke. I'm not gonna spend $100 on stuff I'm gonna wear once" so the mask seemed like a good choice.

I'm still deciding if I'm gonna do RHPS, because if Kaykums isn't coming, then what's the point? :(
Man, I miss my lesbian friends. They would have come with me.
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby Tim on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:22 am

Prettysenshi wrote:Man, I miss my lesbian friends. They would have come with me.

*stifles laughter*
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Location: Bay State, ol' Bay State, I lift my heart to you (bum bum bum)

Postby Prettysenshi on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:32 am

Tim wrote:
Prettysenshi wrote:Man, I miss my lesbian friends. They would have come with me.

*stifles laughter*

boys :/
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby Keffria on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:39 am

Prettysenshi wrote: Costumes are expensive :O So yeah, that's really it. I figure "Ya know what? Fuck all this. I'm in college and broke. I'm not gonna spend $100 on stuff I'm gonna wear once" so the mask seemed like a good choice.

This is exactly how I feel. I have a half-assed costume, but I also saved money which I can spend on things I'll actually use more than one day a year. Costume rentals, even, are insanely expensive.
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

Postby Rkolter on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:40 am

I dress as a ghoul every year. So this year when I found this awesome professional white shirt with a sewn in undershirt and stake through the heart, I thought "Oh yeah, daddy's gotta have THAT..." But I'll be reusing it. So it's a good buy.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Dotty on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:49 am

i dont have a costume but my parents do, so i'll wear one of those.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:54 am

to quote Wednesday Addams "I'm a homicidal maniac, they look just like everyone else. "
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby KWill on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:23 am

Keffria wrote:
Prettysenshi wrote: Costumes are expensive :O So yeah, that's really it. I figure "Ya know what? Fuck all this. I'm in college and broke. I'm not gonna spend $100 on stuff I'm gonna wear once" so the mask seemed like a good choice.

This is exactly how I feel. I have a half-assed costume, but I also saved money which I can spend on things I'll actually use more than one day a year. Costume rentals, even, are insanely expensive.

I usually just print out an ID that identifies me as a fifth collumnist running around dressed up as a student.
KWill
Cartoon Hero

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:46 am

I usually don't really dress up as anything and just tend to make up something at the last minute. I'll probably dress up this year though if I go out; I'm feeling kinda feverish.
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby Eve Z. on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:26 am

We don't even celebrate Halloween around here. D: Although it might be fun for kids cause they know and imagine what they would dress up like. Tonight I heard 2 kids imagining themselves as vampires turning into bats.

Eeek! I found a tiny spider in my hair! :o
...what goes around, comes around.
Eve Z.
Dead Humanoid Walking

Postby Killbert-Robby on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:33 am

I decided to go out in costume on the spur of the moment, and was all "now I gotta work and make a costume"
OR
I could dress in my pirate gear seeing as I'm the kind of guy that has that stuff just lying around.
No competition.

Considering being in costume earns me a few free drinks while I'm out, I AM HAPPY.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:54 am

I got an emergency call for a software install. After I did it I noticed a nice table of food, and said, "You called me out over lunch. Either I eat your brain, or I get a plate of food."

So I have fresh chicken, rice, and green beans for lunch.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

PreviousNext

Return to Archives