Alter Egos 11: The Way I Are.

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

Re: Alter Egos 11: The Way I Are.

Postby Levi-chan on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:03 pm

Why is there an EFG,
in my beloved CG?
Levi-chan
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:19 pm

I want a Jim North mask... :cry:
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby Turnsky on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Dreamaniaccomic wrote:*sigh*
I'm going to feel like a total prude/obviousman for saying this, but:
CIGARETTES WILL FREAKING KILL YOU in a SLOW and PAINFUL DEMISE lasting SEVERAL YEARS.
This is a sore point with me since an uncle of mine got lung cancer due to his habitual smoking.
Also, my Mom's ovarian cancer has resurfaced and we are facing ANOTHER bout with chemo. And of course there has been the breast cancer suffered by my Grandma and one of my aunts.
Dammit, cancer, leave my family the fuck alone! :x

Cigarettes are not the only cause of cancer. Also, you do not have to take care of your loved ones, you do not know what it's like to try to haul your loved one's dead weight to the toilet and back again..
You have not earnt the right to go on such a tirade, not now or ever. Not only that, but there are other things that take our loved ones away from us?.. in the past three years i've lost three loved ones, THREE, and only one of them due to cancer.
Spreading horror stories about cigarettes will not encourage quitting, that defies human psychology, but you're still young, you wouldn't know how the world works just yet.

should i also point out that neither of those cigarettes that robby was doing vampire teeth with weren't lit?
"when a hero dies, he becomes a legend, that legend, with time, becomes a myth, then a fable, that fable, is then carved in stone, and when that stone crumbles, it is lost" - Takahn.
Turnsky
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jesusabdullah on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:19 pm

All I know is, they sure do help with my anxieties. Well, in the short term, anyway--in the long term, smokes make me more irritable.

Killbert-Robby wrote:
Prettysenshi wrote:*Guyfawkes*

Hahahahahaha welcome to /b/

o_O;;
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Killbert-Robby on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:58 am

Jesusabdullah wrote:All I know is, they sure do help with my anxieties. Well, in the short term, anyway--in the long term, smokes make me more irritable.

Killbert-Robby wrote:
Prettysenshi wrote:*Guyfawkes*

Hahahahahaha welcome to /b/

o_O;;

See Lev's post. The Guy Fawkes mask is a standard calling card of /b/. EFG, Epic Fail Guy, wears one, and also the /b/tards who go out on Scientology protests wear them.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:33 am

Dreamaniaccomic wrote:I want a Jim North mask... :cry:

Me too. For no particular reason. :shifty:
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Nanda on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:25 am

Turnsky wrote:You have not earnt the right to go on such a tirade, not now or ever.

Anyone who has lost a family member to cancer has the right to go on a tirade. About cancer, anyway. No point in yelling at other people to stop smoking, though.
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:32 am

Nanda wrote:
Turnsky wrote:You have not earnt the right to go on such a tirade, not now or ever.

Anyone who has lost a family member to cancer has the right to go on a tirade. About cancer, anyway. No point in yelling at other people to stop smoking, though.

I'm gonna go with Nanda on this one. I hate smoking as much as the next person, but mostly from the standpoint of it annoys me. People know what smoking does, no one is deluded about it, if they wanna smoke, or if they can't stop and don't want help stopping, that's up to them. Cancer sucks, all of it, lung, breast, colon, skin, all of it is awful and hard on people suffering from it and the people around it. But you can lead a clean and healthy life and still get cancer, and you can smoke like a chimney and live to be 120. Plus we're allowed tirades every once in a while.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Jesusabdullah on Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:25 am

Killbert-Robby wrote:See Lev's post. The Guy Fawkes mask is a standard calling card of /b/. EFG, Epic Fail Guy, wears one, and also the /b/tards who go out on Scientology protests wear them.

Naw, I get the efg bit. That was more of a reaction to the picture than anything.

My bad.
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Killbert-Robby on Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:42 am

Jesusabdullah wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:See Lev's post. The Guy Fawkes mask is a standard calling card of /b/. EFG, Epic Fail Guy, wears one, and also the /b/tards who go out on Scientology protests wear them.

Naw, I get the efg bit. That was more of a reaction to the picture than anything.

My bad.

You are such a closet channer
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Turnsky on Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:51 am

Dr Legostar wrote:
Nanda wrote:

I'm gonna go with Nanda on this one. I hate smoking as much as the next person, but mostly from the standpoint of it annoys me. People know what smoking does, no one is deluded about it, if they wanna smoke, or if they can't stop and don't want help stopping, that's up to them. Cancer sucks, all of it, lung, breast, colon, skin, all of it is awful and hard on people suffering from it and the people around it. But you can lead a clean and healthy life and still get cancer, and you can smoke like a chimney and live to be 120. Plus we're allowed tirades every once in a while.

Look, i know, i've lost two family members to "the beast", it just felt like it was being trivialised by Dreamaniac, is all. Chemo aren't nice drugs, at all.. i've seen the more... nastier results of the drugs beyond the stereotypical hairloss (drug induced delirium is not a pleasant sight, believe me), I apologise for flying off the handle, but even after over a year, it's still a severe sore point for me..
(and Lego, incase you're curious, the Chemo drug my grandmother was on was called "Xeloda" aka Capecitabine)
"when a hero dies, he becomes a legend, that legend, with time, becomes a myth, then a fable, that fable, is then carved in stone, and when that stone crumbles, it is lost" - Takahn.
Turnsky
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:21 am

Turnsky wrote:Look, i know, i've lost two family members to "the beast", it just felt like it was being trivialised by Dreamaniac, is all. Chemo aren't nice drugs, at all.. i've seen the more... nastier results of the drugs beyond the stereotypical hairloss (drug induced delirium is not a pleasant sight, believe me), I apologise for flying off the handle, but even after over a year, it's still a severe sore point for me..
(and Lego, incase you're curious, the Chemo drug my grandmother was on was called "Xeloda" aka Capecitabine)

I haven't heard of it, might i might look it up. My mother is on several chemo drugs right now and luckily my mother-in-law looks like she won't need chemo.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Nanda on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:40 am

I've lost two family members to cancers caused by cigarettes - my grandma died of lung cancer, and more recently, my father-in-law died of esophigeal cancer that spread to his other organs. In the past few months, my boss, a loved and respected friend and mentor of mine, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She starts Chemo next week, and all of us shop girls are worried sick. I never would have thought something like that could happen to her, not in a million years.
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:41 am

Nanda wrote:In the past few months, my boss, a loved and respected friend and mentor of mine, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She starts Chemo next week, and all of us shop girls are worried sick. I never would have thought something like that could happen to her, not in a million years.

that's how i feel about my mom.

*hugs nanda*
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Nanda on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:31 pm

Dr Legostar wrote:
Nanda wrote:In the past few months, my boss, a loved and respected friend and mentor of mine, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She starts Chemo next week, and all of us shop girls are worried sick. I never would have thought something like that could happen to her, not in a million years.

that's how i feel about my mom.

*hugs nanda*

I can only imagine what you're going through. Moms are a whole different thing...
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:23 am

Dreamaniaccomic wrote:*sigh*
I'm going to feel like a total prude/obviousman for saying this, but:
CIGARETTES WILL FREAKING KILL YOU in a SLOW and PAINFUL DEMISE lasting SEVERAL YEARS.
This is a sore point with me since an uncle of mine got lung cancer due to his habitual smoking.
Also, my Mom's ovarian cancer has resurfaced and we are facing ANOTHER bout with chemo. And of course there has been the breast cancer suffered by my Grandma and one of my aunts.
Dammit, cancer, leave my family the fuck alone! :x

*lights up* takes a drag.

people I know who have died from urban violence, suicide, and auto violence vastly out number cancer victims. Truely there are different ways to die. some calm... but most horrific. as someone really brilliant once said. "To live in fear of death, is not living... its dieing very slowly."
Last edited by Phact0rri on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby McDuffies on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:42 am

I don't have any cancer-related stories... I do have a few friends who lost close ones from liver problems. They don't rant about dangers of alchoholism when someone's drinking in their presence... though I guess the point of ranting is in venting the anger, that's all.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Dr Legostar on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:58 am

Nanda wrote:I can only imagine what you're going through. Moms are a whole different thing...

She's doing okay, and luckily my mom-in-law didn't have anything in her lymph nodes so it looks like she won't have to deal with chemo.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Joel Fagin on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:13 pm

Phact0rri wrote:people I know who have died from urban violence, suicide, and auto violence vastly out number cancer victims. Truely there are different ways to die. some calm... but most horrific. as someone really brilliant once said. "To live in fear of death, is not living... its dieing very slowly."

That would be fine if smoking was, I dunno, fun? Constructive? Basically if it had something about it that you could point to and say "yeah, that's living".

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Killbert-Robby on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Joel Fagin wrote:
Phact0rri wrote:people I know who have died from urban violence, suicide, and auto violence vastly out number cancer victims. Truely there are different ways to die. some calm... but most horrific. as someone really brilliant once said. "To live in fear of death, is not living... its dieing very slowly."

That would be fine if smoking was, I dunno, fun? Constructive? Basically if it had something about it that you could point to and say "yeah, that's living".

- Joel Fagin

Yeah, and to smokers, it is enjoyable. And so the reasoning is why give up on something you enjoy just to add a few years to your life. Good food isn't constructive, and a lot of people could look at the fancy stuff and say "Whatever", but even though it's bad for you, people enjoy it, and fuck missing out on their late 90s.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Archives