Doodles 8 - I'm not an artist, but I play one on CG

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

Postby Komiyan on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:07 pm

bob281 wrote:Image

Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!

Postby Killbert-Robby on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:10 pm

Hold on, did you draw that on the back of a receipt!?
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laemkral on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:22 pm

Ryan: It's a pretty common technique for Daredevil in dramatic poses. Typically the rope connecting his billy club together is lashed around like a whip, though generally not around him so much as in front of him. That being said, the billy club is also generally pictured being held in both hands, not thrown.

I can remember some images where it is thrown, but there's no whip like effect to the cord. It may be doing something funky like twisting in a spiral, but not like that.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby CJBurgandy on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:23 pm

ok, knowing that you know what's wrong with the pinup, I'll skip that.
All of your school stuff is fantastic, except this one:
mvmarcz wrote:Graphite pencils, about 2 hours maybe 1:45

The head and shoulders are great, but as you move down, you start to kind of distort your figure to fit the page and it makes him squished. His arm almost looks too big, and next to his butt, his hand looks giant. I don't think his arm though is actually what's wrong. I think it's his torso and bottom. his Torso starts to get too small for the head and shoulders and then his legs are too short, even for the torso that got smaller. Then suddenly his foot looks way huge, which the foot might be still in the size scale of the arm and hand, but I can't tell with it being attached to the shortened legs.

That head though I really like. It's too bad that the wonky sizes of the body distract so much from it.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger

Postby Linkara on Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:53 pm

So, here's a little comparison study. In an effort to try to give my characters some different poses, I have of course taken to getting some better reference pics. Here's one I did today along with the picture I used for reference. Obviously, there are some differences, like him wearing a cape, him being male, and the angle of the shot going downwards as opposed to straight (something I just noticed when I put the images together). But also it really seems like he should be longer or thicker near the feet. Any thoughts?

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby Laemkral on Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Yes, definitely longer and narrower as he goes towards the focal point. All in all, pretty darn good on the basic framing and ratios. I'd recommend drawing the right arm at a tighter angle, it appears to be stretched out to the side rather than directly infront of the character. The left shoulder also may be drawn in ever so slightly too close to the head, though the right one looks fine.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rickford on Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:59 pm

Nono, I'd make the feet smaller if anything. It's all about the perspective. As it is, that's a fairly good attempt there.
Rickford
Irreverent

Postby Mvmarcz on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:08 pm

cjburgandy wrote:The head and shoulders are great, but as you move down, you start to kind of distort your figure to fit the page and it makes him squished. His arm almost looks too big, and next to his butt, his hand looks giant. I don't think his arm though is actually what's wrong. I think it's his torso and bottom. his Torso starts to get too small for the head and shoulders and then his legs are too short, even for the torso that got smaller. Then suddenly his foot looks way huge, which the foot might be still in the size scale of the arm and hand, but I can't tell with it being attached to the shortened legs.

That head though I really like. It's too bad that the wonky sizes of the body distract so much from it.

You're so right! I didn't even think I was doing that on that one!
I have a huge scaling problem particularly on this large newsprint. I normally draw much smaller and when I was told I have to fill the page I just keep drawing too big I can't seem to get a middle ground, but I'm too nervous to try over sized pieces that span 2 pages :x Think I should boldly go and try a 2 pager next week?
I actually never noticed the scaling problem till I looked at the drawing in the photo
NJ: "You know the drill, you're AWESOME!"
I am the artist formerly known as M2
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Midel on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:14 pm

My intelligence is parallel to success!

Midel

Postby Laemkral on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:17 pm

Thank God I already am done with midterms, that last one killed a few brain cells. Though the art is actually not bad.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby Linkara on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:24 pm

Midel wrote:My intelligence is parallel to success!

This doesn't make any sense!

WHY IS THE SQUIRREL WEARING A VEST?! D:

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby Midel on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:44 pm

That's because it has a PhD in psychology!
Midel

Postby Black Sparrow on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:13 pm

She has no right arm. THE SQUIRREL ATE HER RIGHT ARM!

Wait.... Mini-myth?

mvmarcz wrote:Graphite 20 min study of classmate, I think his chin is a tad big but I was never corrected on it I think it's too round

Yeah, see, I figured you were talking about something different, mv... but I haven't been paying attention to the forums, and didn't want to go wading through the thread to find what you were referring to. Yeah, I'm lazy.

This one's a 20 minute drawing, so of course it's not perfect. I'll just do a quick brush-over of what I see:

I'd say the chin's too big, unless he's got a very sturdy build. It's too low, or his lips are too high.

His left shoulder also seems to be set at a funny angle. Either that, or his neck is on his right shoulder.

I'm having a bit of trouble believing the shading on the face. Lack of a determinable light source, and all that. Also, it looks like you smudged it, either with your fingers or with a smudging tool. As a personal preference: I hate that. Smudging makes it lose its texture and personality... but that's just my opinion.

mvmarcz wrote:head study of plaster muscle man graphite and conte

Mm... I love working with conte crayon.

What really pops out at me is just how very small the ear is. It's beautiful detail work (I hate detailing ears) but it looks like it's set a biiit too high and it's a biiit too small.

I suspect the rest of these problems are caused by the angle of the head. The top of the skull is sloped; skulls should be relatively flat on top. The eye seems set low on the cheek (though I'd need to see the muscle man to be sure of that). Finally, something is bugging me about the area of the skull behind the ear. I think it may be too high up? Again, I'd need to see the muscle man to verify, but those are my impressions.
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero

Postby Turnsky on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Killbert-Robby wrote:Hold on, did you draw that on the back of a receipt!?

from what i can read, it says "east coast terminal co. Guest Pass"

that's the first punisher i've seen with Jowls. :P
Last edited by Turnsky on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"when a hero dies, he becomes a legend, that legend, with time, becomes a myth, then a fable, that fable, is then carved in stone, and when that stone crumbles, it is lost" - Takahn.
Turnsky
Cartoon Hero

Postby CJBurgandy on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:35 pm

mvmarcz wrote:I have a huge scaling problem particularly on this large newsprint. I normally draw much smaller and when I was told I have to fill the page I just keep drawing too big I can't seem to get a middle ground, but I'm too nervous to try over sized pieces that span 2 pages :x Think I should boldly go and try a 2 pager next week?

Back when I took figure drawing, when the teacher asks us to fill the whole page, it was totally alright to "zoom in" per say and draw one section of the figure, thought it's good to try and practice getting the whole figure onto the page. Still, you can create some dynamic drawings by concentrating on one section of it. I'm sure once you get the scaling problem down, your life drawings will look really awesome
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger

Postby MixedMyth on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:42 pm

Black Sparrow wrote:She has no right arm. THE SQUIRREL ATE HER RIGHT ARM!

Wait.... Mini-myth?

I plead the fifth. :shifty:
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby Sput on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:20 pm

making a lady luck character. layla emmett, and a flapper because they are awesome.
lazy sput is lazy.
Sput
Needs an Oil Checkup

Postby Mvmarcz on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:43 am

cjburgandy wrote:Back when I took figure drawing, when the teacher asks us to fill the whole page, it was totally alright to "zoom in" per say and draw one section of the figure, thought it's good to try and practice getting the whole figure onto the page. Still, you can create some dynamic drawings by concentrating on one section of it. I'm sure once you get the scaling problem down, your life drawings will look really awesome

Because I'm in the basic class he wants us to try and get the whole form in our drawings, once you get to the upper levels then you can zoom

Black Sparrow wrote:What really pops out at me is just how very small the ear is. It's beautiful detail work (I hate detailing ears) but it looks like it's set a biiit too high and it's a biiit too small.

I suspect the rest of these problems are caused by the angle of the head. The top of the skull is sloped; skulls should be relatively flat on top. The eye seems set low on the cheek (though I'd need to see the muscle man to be sure of that). Finally, something is bugging me about the area of the skull behind the ear. I think it may be too high up? Again, I'd need to see the muscle man to verify, but those are my impressions.

I can't vouch for the ear but I can say that his head is shaped like that. My proff kept pointing out to me that he has such a funny shaped head and that alot of the problems I had when drawing his head were infact because he's not made quite right.

And yes...I'm a smudger... :twisted: I love my chamois cloth and my finger and I used to use tortillions. Also the shading on his face wasn't finished when the 20 min was up. :>!
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Killbert-Robby on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:05 am

If I remember well, middle of the eye signals the tip of the ear. Just a wee something I heard, throwing it out there.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mvmarcz on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:17 am

Killbert-Robby wrote:If I remember well, middle of the eye signals the tip of the ear. Just a wee something I heard, throwing it out there.

I'm aware of where the ear sits and the spacing, but thanks
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Archives