Doodles 8 - I'm not an artist, but I play one on CG

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

Postby Nanda on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:30 am

Bum bum bum! "Show me the way to go home, I'm tired and I want to go to bed..."
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mvmarcz on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:32 am

Well since we have to ask for critiques apparently.

I've been posting some figure work for a while now and getting no real responses...I'd like some feedback
NJ: "You know the drill, you're AWESOME!"
I am the artist formerly known as M2
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Vorticus on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:32 am

Seconded on Senshi and Sparrow
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend

Postby Mvmarcz on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:41 am

prettysenshi wrote: 2) We have TTT for a reason. If people want a lot of advice on their work, they should go there. Otherwise, I don't know why we still have it.

TTT is for more than just art crit though. It's for writing crit, web design crit, comic crit.

also this is one of the most frequented forums so if people want to make sure somethings seen they tend to put it here.
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby BeefotronX on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:42 am

This one's rather big.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A webcomic so scrumptrelescent you can barely move.
BeefotronX
Regular Poster

Postby [AlmightyPyro] on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:49 am

That's some neat coloring, what did you do that in, Beef?
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Black Sparrow on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:50 am

Woooo, critiquing. I may not be up to par with you, mv, but I shall give you some feedback nonetheless!

mvmarcz wrote:Image

The thing that first catches my eye is the shading. It. Is. Awesome. It's really improved over the last year, and I expect it to keep improving. It's especially notable on her back. However, I notice a lack of shading detail on her hands. With all the subtle curves and lines present in a human hand, a bit more detail wouldn't hurt.

The anatomy is, as I'm sure you know, good above the waist, shaky below. It probably comes from your attempt to foreshorten the right leg. In hind-sight, the lines designating her right thigh are probably too high or too prominent, but I can see why you added them. The leg might also need to widen a bit as it gets closer to the camera. Were you looking at a source picture when you drew it? I tend to try to find a source when I have to foreshorten difficult angles.
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero

Postby Mvmarcz on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:27 am

:headdesk: Sparrow I love you but I'd much rather get crit on my life drawings...I know that that pic has TONS wrong with it. I'm not happy about how it turned out

Thanks for the crit though!!!!!! And you are totally right btw. I half assed the shading on the hands and I did use a source picture but I was in too much of a hurry to get it done to actually analyze the positioning for the legs and rear. I'll probably completely redraw that images soon

here's more (lots of)stuff from school:
Black Conte hand study not timed but didn't take long

Graphite pencils, about 2 hours maybe 1:45

Graphite 20 min study of classmate, I think his chin is a tad big but I was never corrected on it I think it's too round

Graphite 20 min study of classmate

Skull study on Strathmore in soft Pastel

head study of plaster muscle man graphite and conte

2nd oil painting in painting class

3rd

We have midterm critiques the next two weeks and I'm determined to choose a concentration by then...w00t
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Prettysenshi on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:37 am

Awesome work with the bone and muscle studies, MV. I had to do that as well, and I found it much harder to work with bones because there's so much more to focus on. Maybe it was just me. I think the skull looks good, and nice work with the colors.

The second picture looks a bit wonky though. Not sure where. I think it's something with how the torso and the legs meet up. I also see that his right foot is in the picture and his left is out of the picture. Not sure if that was intentional, but it looks weird. The arm muscles though look pretty good.

The girl sitting in the chair looks good until you reach her bottom backside. It doesn't look 3d because it doesn't look like she's really sitting on the chair. Maybe some line variation or something, to make her appear to be on the chair and not floating directly in front of it.

Finally, the third drawing looks great, IMO. I like the profile that you chose and I think it looks pretty accurate. As for chin being too round, I think it looks fine. Maybe it is a bit large and round, but I've seen people with big chins (Leno, hello? XD) So yeah, I think that's fine.

Great progress so far, I'd say. I can't wait to do more figure stuff myself. Are you going to take an Illustration class eventually?
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby Mvmarcz on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:59 am

prettysenshi wrote:Awesome work with the bone and muscle studies, MV. I had to do that as well, and I found it much harder to work with bones because there's so much more to focus on. Maybe it was just me. I think the skull looks good, and nice work with the colors.

The second picture looks a bit wonky though. Not sure where. I think it's something with how the torso and the legs meet up. I also see that his right foot is in the picture and his left is out of the picture. Not sure if that was intentional, but it looks weird. The arm muscles though look pretty good.

The girl sitting in the chair looks good until you reach her bottom backside. It doesn't look 3d because it doesn't look like she's really sitting on the chair. Maybe some line variation or something, to make her appear to be on the chair and not floating directly in front of it.

Finally, the third drawing looks great, IMO. I like the profile that you chose and I think it looks pretty accurate. As for chin being too round, I think it looks fine. Maybe it is a bit large and round, but I've seen people with big chins (Leno, hello? XD) So yeah, I think that's fine.

Great progress so far, I'd say. I can't wait to do more figure stuff myself. Are you going to take an Illustration class eventually?

Thanks for all the crit!
As for classes at my school after the basics you pic a concentration then you take mostly studios pertaining only to it. Illustration is part of the ad design concentration. The two concentrations I'm considering are drawing and possibly painting. Mostly because I already have an ad design degree and because I suck at ceramics and photo, and printmaking makes me feel sick(chemicals).

Some of the things you mentioned (line variation for one) look differently in person because I had to take these in a dark room with a flash(should have mentioned that before) the flash washes out alot of line work.
I see what you mean about the muscle guys torso it does kind of the opposite in the frontal view I have (not posted here). And his missing foot is because of how the sculpture is built, if it was shaded you'd see it, I should have put some lines in there to illustrate that it's a solid block.

For the girl on the stool I can try going in and defining the stool better and better the shading on her rear, my instructor doesn't stress those parts of the images too much since we're supposed to be focusing on the form.
Thanks again for the crit, it gives me some stuff I can touch up on for midterm :D
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Eve Z. on Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:02 pm

some random portrait i made playing with lightning.

and some character....

...what goes around, comes around.
Eve Z.
Dead Humanoid Walking

Postby [AlmightyPyro] on Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:12 pm

I really like that smoking guy Eve. The first picture scares me a bit though. :P
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laemkral on Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:22 pm

It's a bit of a minor detail, but from the way his hand is positioned, the cigarette seems a little off. I'm thinking it would be turned away a bit more. Otherwise, it looks really nice, especially the use of shadow.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mercury Hat on Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:25 pm

Jeez, Shine, I was pretty clear in what I said, but I'll make it easy:

Unsolicited crits are fine.

Using those crits to attack someone you don't like since you can't outright troll them are not fine.

It is very easy to tell the difference between one circumstance and the other.

Basically, if I see another page and a half of arguing between people, I'm gonna tell whoever's involved to cut it out.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Postby Bob281 on Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:55 pm

I LUV COMICS
Bob281
In the Brig (Banned)
In the Brig (Banned)

Postby Dotty on Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:09 pm

Well, that's good! I don't mind critiques personally, and if everyone here is cool with this thread allowing for critiques, then let the good times roll!

As for the asspatting comments, the dreaded clique comments, the "only war and neko have balls" comments, and the "stop trolling people who you dislike through the guise of critique" comments, I completely agree.

To be fair Merc, I think Shinedog was trashing my commentary with his usual angry mannerisms, not yours, but I could be mistaken. At least both of you made valid points, but it's pretty clear to me what you meant. I was just stating a personal opinion, but if everyone is okay with critiques in here that AREN'T mean spirited and trolling disguised as critiquing, then that's wonderful.

To summarize, critiquing is good, but there's no need to be a total dickhead about it. It's REALLY not that hard to be nice, or at the very least tolerant. :shifty:
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby BeefotronX on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:29 pm

[AlmightyPyro] wrote:That's some neat coloring, what did you do that in, Beef?

GIMP.

Perhaps more importantly, the secret to some of the coloring was setting the brush to Overlay when it came to shading.
Last edited by BeefotronX on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A webcomic so scrumptrelescent you can barely move.
BeefotronX
Regular Poster

Postby Bob281 on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:32 pm

I LUV COMICS
Bob281
In the Brig (Banned)
In the Brig (Banned)

Postby Jesusabdullah on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:48 pm

mvmarcz wrote:2nd oil painting in painting class

This Is Awesome. Seriously, awesome job on the shiny cover plate.

Bob###: There are two awesome and amazing tools that I think you should meet; Their names are "Crop" and "Resize!" I don't have their contact information on me at the moment, but I'm sure that with a quick Google search or a perusal of the options in, well, *any* graphics program, you'll find them.
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:57 pm

bob281 wrote:Image

I don't get this picture bob. He's throwing some kind of cyllinder that's attached to a pole by a rope, but the rope is wrapped all around him (although the rope doesn't cross over in front in one case as it should). He's going to end up very tied up by his own device. In this case, I am willing to make a fuss because you took the time to draw the rope meaning you wanted us to see the rope and how it flies around him.

Also, the cylinder is doing something physically impossible unless it's moving under it's own force and is guided - it's swooping around from behind, moving under his crotch, and then making a swooping turn without any visible reason for this to occur.

If you wanted it to whip up like that, you might have him catch the rope with his toe, yanking it taut so the cyllinder swings and adjusts it's position. Or you might have him moving the rope around, but not in ways that end up with him hopelessly looped up within the rope.

Your superhero is going to look mighty silly hog-tied. :)
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

PreviousNext

Return to Archives