Doodles 8 - I'm not an artist, but I play one on CG

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

Postby Mvmarcz on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:21 pm

FIGURE DRAWING!
:D

Did this one tonight
Here's two details and you have to click for the main one cause it's NSFW
Graphite for the gesture and charcoal over that on newsprint 24" x 36", 2.5 hour drawing

nekkid man :O!
NJ: "You know the drill, you're AWESOME!"
I am the artist formerly known as M2
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Killbert-Robby on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:31 pm

Rickford wrote:It is a common occurrence amongst the female population.

... Ah, who am I kidding?

The male population too.

Take me now.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ti-Phil on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:43 am

I.. may have played Eternal Darkness too much lately...

The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Postby Dr Legostar on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:11 am

there's no such thing, phil, awesome drawing.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Sortelli on Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:23 pm

You just healed all my sanity, Phil.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby SergeXIII on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:42 pm

Theres no such thing as playing too much Eternal Darkness (to hell with Too Human, I want more ED).
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bob281 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:50 pm

I LUV COMICS
Bob281
In the Brig (Banned)
In the Brig (Banned)

Postby Jesusabdullah on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Thor says: "Hay guys, check out my cinderblock! CINDERBLOOOCK!" :P

Ehh, that might've been a bit mean somehow...if it made sense to anyone but me.

Edit: I meant to say, those charcoals are snazzy Mv.
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tellurider on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:21 pm

that's not a cinderblock, cinderblocks aren't transparent.

Obviously this is the mighty Thor's ice hammer, which is used for... something, I'm sure.
updates Thursdays
Tellurider
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:41 pm

Tellurider wrote:that's not a cinderblock, cinderblocks aren't transparent.

Obviously this is the mighty Thor's ice hammer, which is used for... something, I'm sure.

Looking closer Thor himself seems transparent too. Maybe its an ice sculpture.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby Turnsky on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:03 pm

that is one odd pose, he looks like he's gonna fall over
"when a hero dies, he becomes a legend, that legend, with time, becomes a myth, then a fable, that fable, is then carved in stone, and when that stone crumbles, it is lost" - Takahn.
Turnsky
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bob281 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:51 pm

I LUV COMICS
Bob281
In the Brig (Banned)
In the Brig (Banned)

Postby Dotty on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:50 am

The Neko wrote:Remember when I made that thread which was like Doodles but instead it was a place where people would post material for the explicit purpose of being critiqued, and how everyone was all "Why did you bother making a thread like that? GAW!"? Yeah.

Yeah. I believe the point was we have a TT&T forum where people post stuff looking for critique. No problems giving critique in here, but it should really be reserved for those who ask for it, since this threads always sort of just been a multi-artist photobucket. Otherwise you're just asking to piss someone off, which keeps happening. Huh. Go figure.

Other than that, I second Mercs posts a page or two back.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby That guy on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:57 am

EDIT: Having just read the above-post, I'm sorry if it bothers anyone to have a lengthy critique-post here. My bad. Get over it. ;) bob281's proven to me he can handle my suggestions in the past, so I'm leaving them here. I'll be briefer in the future.

bob281 wrote:IMAGES
You're putting on the paint before the wall is up. If you want to improve, stop putting the shine and detail work on until you've got a better sense of what's underneath. Your characters look shiny, like Colossus, or translucent (hence the ice-sculpture comments) - with painfully hard-to-ignore anatomy problems.

You reacted favorably to a comparison with Rob Liefield, a comic artist infamous for the same problems you're dealing with:
Ignoring the painful muscle contortion in his abdomen, it's not a horrible sketch. You're already using the technique of contour-shading that he's using on the cape-section, but you use it on the entire body. As you can see here, he favors cross-hatching everywhere else, which is less confusing and it helps set the cape section apart.
__Liefield's shading doesn't hide his bad anatomy and that anatomy doesn't look like a "style-choice". It looks like he never learned to avoid mistakes like that, and it makes him a professional laughingstock. Some groundwork now will set you up to be worlds better by the time you're his age.
__If you can stop idolizing bad artists with style and open yourself up to a GOOD artist with a strong sense of the human body, then you will grow by leaps & bounds. Once you understand what's underneath, then the contortions and shading on top will look intentional instead of like you tried to hide your inadequacies behind "style choice" and hoped no one would notice. That's Liefield. Be better than that.

I suggest Andrew Loomis. These are the kinds of drawings you need to practice if you want to improve your style instead of hiding behind surface effects.
That guy
Cartoon Hero

Postby ShineDog on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:25 am

Sorry, what? Critiques should be reserved for those who ask?

Thats about as dumb a statement as I've heard in a long time.

I mean, really dumb. Think what sort of community thats going to lead to, there are ALREADY kid gloves on in this place, its already a realm of asspatting and loveins.

For reasons i cant quite figure out, there has been a bit of a push AGAINST this whole kid gloves nicey nicey approach recently, and for all concerned that can only be a good thing.

Please dont squash this revolution before it starts for fear of hurting someones feelings.
Jaw droppingly large strawberry desserts.
ShineDog
Regular Poster

Postby Prettysenshi on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:43 am

ShineDog wrote:Sorry, what? Critiques should be reserved for those who ask?

Thats about as dumb a statement as I've heard in a long time.

I mean, really dumb. Think what sort of community thats going to lead to, there are ALREADY kid gloves on in this place, its already a realm of asspatting and loveins.

For reasons i cant quite figure out, there has been a bit of a push AGAINST this whole kid gloves nicey nicey approach recently, and for all concerned that can only be a good thing.

I agree. I get tired of the asskissing too. However, people should also be aware that there are some people in this community who come off as too strong and piss people off. If people who've been here for a while get defensive or something, it's only because they don't like how they're getting the critique.

Critiquing is fine, I just don't understand two things: 1) If we're all for critique, then why don't we critique everyone who needs it, and not just some people? I've seen a lot of crap here in CG, and not nearly as much criticism for those people's work. 2) We have TTT for a reason. If people want a lot of advice on their work, they should go there. Otherwise, I don't know why we still have it.
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby [AlmightyPyro] on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:53 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with giving free advice here. TTT is for people looking for advice, here we're giving it because we feel like the person needs help. I don't think that any of us are meaning to come off as mean, either. If some one doesn't want a critique all they have to do is say so.

That being said, I noticed that I didn't see any skeleton markings on your sketches, bob. This could be one of the reasons your proportions are off. It's always a good idea to sketch out the skeleton first, for the figure, then go back over it with all the detail.
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Black Sparrow on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:55 am

ShineDog wrote:For reasons i cant quite figure out, there has been a bit of a push AGAINST this whole kid gloves nicey nicey approach recently, and for all concerned that can only be a good thing.

As far as I've noticed, "the push" has been less about being more upfront in critiques, and more about that dreaded clique-ness we all hate. Whenever we collectively start tearing into someone, the victim is always an "outsider." Either a newcomer or someone who never really fit into any of the cliques we've made for ourselves.

I'm all for offering criticism when it's due... but Senshi has a point. There are a lot of people INSIDE the cliques who need that criticism too, and the only ones who have the guts to give the criticism are War and Neko, it seems.
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero

Postby Prettysenshi on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:00 am

[AlmightyPyro] wrote:If some one doesn't want a critique all they have to do is say so.

Yeah, so then people will bash them for not wanting to "improve" and say they don't know better?
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby JTorch on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:27 am

prettysenshi wrote:
[AlmightyPyro] wrote:If some one doesn't want a critique all they have to do is say so.

Yeah, so then people will bash them for not wanting to "improve" and say they don't know better?

I don't think someone saying "Here's a picture *Picture* Not looking for critiques." will get anyone bashed. People get bashed when they get defensive over other people's comments. Especially considering that they're posting their picture on a forum where everyone draws and will therefore have tips for everyone else.

I say critique whoever you want unless they request not to be critiqued. The person requesting not to be critiqued, however, will have to bear in mind that they're unlikely to get any comments at all in that case, good or bad. That's the price one pays for insecurity, I guess.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and for what it's worth, I'm not big on the whole ass-kissing trend either.
Last edited by JTorch on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a Civilization on my Fork - Updates Sometimes
JTorch
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Archives