Revenge of the unhappy thread.

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Post by Rkolter »

demonuncle wrote:
rkolter wrote: Let me explain.

If it was in this order, then -

You totalled your mom's car (which is bad).
While you did not have a license (which is worse),
and then bitched that she took your car in return (which seems only fair).

I mean, come on. It's dark humor, but you have to admit, there is some humor to be had here. Everyone needs to laugh at themselves a bit.
I don't find it at all humorous, especially not after explaining it and then having to apologize to everyone for being a jerk due to misinterpreting you... ._.;
Actually, you appologized to everyone for belittling their own problems on this thread, not for misinterpreting me.

I'm sorry if you think I'm laughing at your overall woes; that wasn't my intention. Nor was it to laugh at your mom's injuries.

When I read those three entries, in the order that you wrote them, I immediately cast you as George in Seinfeld:

George: "Well Jerry, now I've really done it. I totalled my mom's car."

Seinfeld: "Wasn't that her only car? Did you even have your license?"

George: "No, I was planning on getting it but I failed the test."

Seinfeld: "Twice?"

George: "Twice!"

Seinfeld: "So why were you driving your mom's car?"

George: "That's not the point! She took my car. My car!"

Seinfeld: "Well... you did total her car, George. That seems fair."

George: "Well, how am I going to get around?"

Seinfeld: "Same way as before I guess, you didn't have a license to drive."

George: "But that was my car!"

Seinfeld: "But you didn't drive it. Could you even afford the insurance on it?"

George: "That's not the point!"

Seinfeld: "So you're mad that your mother took your car, which you cannot drive, and cannot afford insurance on, because you totalled her car, while driving it without a license?"

George: "Ex-ACTLY!"
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

I just had some peanuts, which I am deadly allergic too.

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

BrownEyedCat wrote:...had to explain to everyone that I don't drink...
I know your pain. I've found that the best solution is to simply always have a glass of something in my hand - normally some soda or soft drink or simply a glass of water.

The tricky part is to drink it realllyyyyy slowly. Otherwise I end up having loads of the stuff and running to the dunny every twenty minutes.

Still, I get invited a lot because all my mates know I don't drink so I get asked along to be either the drunk mother and/or designated driver. But after they've had a few they'll tend to forget and start the old "go on, have a drink" routine.

MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Post by MixedMyth »

theSuburbanLetdown wrote:I just had some peanuts, which I am deadly allergic too.
Literally deadly allergic? Uh oh.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

Demonuncle

Post by Demonuncle »

rkolter wrote:
demonuncle wrote:
rkolter wrote: Let me explain.

If it was in this order, then -

You totalled your mom's car (which is bad).
While you did not have a license (which is worse),
and then bitched that she took your car in return (which seems only fair).

I mean, come on. It's dark humor, but you have to admit, there is some humor to be had here. Everyone needs to laugh at themselves a bit.
I don't find it at all humorous, especially not after explaining it and then having to apologize to everyone for being a jerk due to misinterpreting you... ._.;
Actually, you appologized to everyone for belittling their own problems on this thread, not for misinterpreting me.

I'm sorry if you think I'm laughing at your overall woes; that wasn't my intention. Nor was it to laugh at your mom's injuries.

When I read those three entries, in the order that you wrote them, I immediately cast you as George in Seinfeld:

George: "Well Jerry, now I've really done it. I totalled my mom's car."

Seinfeld: "Wasn't that her only car? Did you even have your license?"

George: "No, I was planning on getting it but I failed the test."

Seinfeld: "Twice?"

George: "Twice!"

Seinfeld: "So why were you driving your mom's car?"

George: "That's not the point! She took my car. My car!"

Seinfeld: "Well... you did total her car, George. That seems fair."

George: "Well, how am I going to get around?"

Seinfeld: "Same way as before I guess, you didn't have a license to drive."

George: "But that was my car!"

Seinfeld: "But you didn't drive it. Could you even afford the insurance on it?"

George: "That's not the point!"

Seinfeld: "So you're mad that your mother took your car, which you cannot drive, and cannot afford insurance on, because you totalled her car, while driving it without a license?"

George: "Ex-ACTLY!"
I think I saw that one...

Well, all this started because of misinterpreting you, I guess I worded my apology wrong, I meant for it to include you. I'm no good with words. Guess that's why I'm an artist, which I'm no good at either.

Demonuncle

Post by Demonuncle »

I've never touched an alcoholic beverage. I've had to explain this to people too, a lot don't seem to understand it... I'm not against drugs nor am I sXe, I just never really wanted to drink it. Lately, I've been thinking I should start though...

RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero

Post by RemusShepherd »

RemusShepherd wrote:I have a tic. In my eyelid. It's twitching, all day.
Either I have an eye infection, or I'm finally turning into one of those cartoon characters who twitches all the time.
more than likely a pinched nerve, that kind of thing happens to me all the time, it goes away.
Oh god, I get that when I'm sleep deprived. There was a period in which it was happening for several weeks, so I cut back my update schedule to sleep more, and it went away.
Yeah, I get that twitch when I'm really tired, too.
the twitch happens to me when I concentrate on sight to long. usually if I'm at a computer to long, reading a whole day, or artwork.
I get it for this reason, or if I get dehydrated, or if I get an eye infection. Left eye only. My right eye has never done it, and I think, secretly laughs at my left eye for being a pansy.
So what I'm hearing is that you're all cartoon characters. I KNEW IT. ;)

...you're right, I probably need more sleep.

Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Post by Dr Legostar »

rkolter wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:
rkolter wrote:So, I call Lego. He's in the middle of a birthday party for his girlfriend.
well seeing as last time you called me it was in an attempt to mess with people it's kinda hard to sit on the phone with you. see what happens when you cry wolf.
Crying wolf is when you get someone to work with you under the false pretense that there is an immediate need for their assistance. I am pretty sure I would recall doing that. The last time I called you I did so on accident but turned it into a joke and a conversation. This time I immediately said something akin to "Wow, wish her a happy birthday, let me get off the phone with you right now, I was just calling to chat."

So, did you pick a poor choice of words, is one of us being emo, or do we have some kind of issue to resolve?
possibly all three, i'll get back to you.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

TheSuburbanLetdown

MixedMyth wrote:
theSuburbanLetdown wrote:I just had some peanuts, which I am deadly allergic too.
Literally deadly allergic? Uh oh.
The burning has stopped. YAY! I still kinda hurt though.

Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Post by Mercury Hat »

Was this peanut ingestion an accident or an assassination attempt?
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Post by MixedMyth »

Oh my god, I hate when I have to do that. These days I'll have the very occasional drink, but not really. And people, when you say that, invariably either offer you a drink to try or ask why. And whatever your explanation is, it's never good enough for them. The only people I really know around here and hang out with are usually okay, but they also like to sit around and drink and watch movies a lot. I find it very boring often, but it's usually not bad. But then again...sometimes they'll try and get me to drink. I remember one guy actually manhandled a beer forcibly to my lips (drunk at the time, of course). Didn't drink it, of course.

Oh yeah, and everyone's always patronizing about it. I don't just mean this group of people, I mean everyone.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

Rusty Knight
Regular Poster

Post by Rusty Knight »

MixedMyth wrote:
Oh my god, I hate when I have to do that. These days I'll have the very occasional drink, but not really. And people, when you say that, invariably either offer you a drink to try or ask why. And whatever your explanation is, it's never good enough for them. The only people I really know around here and hang out with are usually okay, but they also like to sit around and drink and watch movies a lot. I find it very boring often, but it's usually not bad. But then again...sometimes they'll try and get me to drink. I remember one guy actually manhandled a beer forcibly to my lips (drunk at the time, of course). Didn't drink it, of course.

Oh yeah, and everyone's always patronizing about it. I don't just mean this group of people, I mean everyone.
...try living in Ireland...

I mean I will have the odd drink but the entire social network here is all about the pub and drink...

...if you don't drink all the time people here (where I am anyways) look at you like you suddenly sprouted three heads and are speaking in Latin with a voice of thunder...

..then they will think that you are only trying to be cute as you don't want to pay for a drink... Gah!
ImageImageImage
My amazing avatar is by Black Sparrow
"Rusty Knight. A charitable heart who has spared the forum the untold horror that is his webcomic." ~ Yeahduff

TheSuburbanLetdown

Mercury Hat wrote:Was this peanut ingestion an accident or an assassination attempt?
It was probably an assassination attempt since I'm in The Nekos's political party.

Really though, it was an accident. I got ice cream that wasn't supposed to have peanuts, but it did. I think the spoon used to scoop it must've touched peanuts at some point.

Americangothic
Regular Poster

Post by Americangothic »

then bitched that she took your car in return (which seems only fair).
See...that would upset me too- My parents were divorced and my father bought me a car when I was 16. It was titled in my name and in my name only. When my mom got sick with cancer, she pressured me to sell my car because I started driving her around in hers. She didn't want to pay the insurance on it... the catch was...I had been paying my insurance myself, but when she got sick, I had to quit my job to take care of her.

It really hurt to have her pressure me into selling a gift that had nothing to do with her.

In your situation, I know you accidentally wrecked her car..but she should have insurance to cover you AND she did give you permission to drive it. Accidents happen.

Secondly...did you have your learner's permit? You should have at least have your learner's permit. If you didn't...that's a "shame on you AND your mother". She should have taken you to go get it since you can't legally drive yourself to go get it.

Johndar
Regular Poster

Post by Johndar »

MixedMyth wrote:

Surprisingly, I've never had that problem. My friends tend to drink and get drunk when we hang out, but they never try to push alcohol on me. They know I don't drink, so they don't ask.

Even when I went to the after Grad party, the only big party I've been to, only a few people asked if I wanted a drink, and when I said no they didn't try and pressure me to do it.

Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Post by Jim North »

I'm working in concessions tonight, and I have to leave in fifteen minutes! Boo!

I spent an hour or two today trying to get our scanner working properly again, but it's still all weird and crappy! Boo!

My foot's falling asleep! Boo!
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

Rkolter

Post by Rkolter »

theSuburbanLetdown wrote:
Mercury Hat wrote:Was this peanut ingestion an accident or an assassination attempt?
It was probably an assassination attempt since I'm in The Nekos's political party.

Really though, it was an accident. I got ice cream that wasn't supposed to have peanuts, but it did. I think the spoon used to scoop it must've touched peanuts at some point.
I HATE that. I've stopped (mostly) buying scoop ice cream because people don't "get" that someone might be deathly allergic to something they sell.

I feel for ya Sublet.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero

Post by Grabmygoblin »

I forgot to set my alarm and woke up too late to go to this tour of the historical buildings of Albany which I told everyone I was going to go to.

I was so disappointed and pissed at myself that I spent the day in bed trying not to think about anything.

stupid brain chemistry.

Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Post by Garneta »

Jim North wrote:I'm working in concessions tonight, and I have to leave in fifteen minutes! Boo!
Heeheehee...and it didn't get any better for him either; he apparently slept through our conversation this morning when I said I was taking the car! (I was nice though, I came back to take him to work...he'd just gotten down to the parking lot first, only to discover that there was no car there!)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Image Image Image

Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero

Post by Jesusabdullah »

Dave Against The Machine wrote:
Dr Neo Lao wrote:I don't have anything to complain about, yet I'm still miserable...
Fuck, me too.

Well, maybe not miserable. At least, not all the time. But, something is bugging me and I don't know what. It sucks.