Discussion thread for Webcomic Above

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Keffria wrote:*looks at the mess in the actual thread* Dammit! What did you ruffians do to my beautiful thread?!

I just want to apologize for making PeppermintAfterlife disappear from the forums again with this thread. (Damn, either my archives are too big or too boring, and he's embarrassed to back out. :wink: )
EDIT: I just posted my inexcusibly late-ass review. I hope you find it helpful.

Anyway, I'm glad I got a positive review, but i would've liked a more in depth one, as the one I got was pretty general. Cortland and BOMC gave me very indepth ones last time that stated what exactly they liked and what they didn't like, and why. It was helpful.
Last edited by TheSuburbanLetdown on Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinDummy
Regular Poster

Post by PinDummy »

christwriter wrote:Actually I started this thread because...
I'll avoid replying to your message because John is trying to re-rail the game and this is how flame wars start.

For the record? I'm not against posting comments on the other thread. But it seems that people somehow manage to mistake comments, jokes and floods for legitimate reviews and end up reviewing those posters.
I'm just a do... No, wait, I'm your worst nightmare...

MrEff
Regular Poster

Post by MrEff »

Just wanted to drop Faub a thank you for the review!

There are a few things I plan on doing now that they have been brought to light.... as far as the strips being to big for the screen thats my fault... I didn't even think of a solution til just now, but it has been noted! As far as character design goes "Sketch" is supposed to be more jagged as he is.... well a sketch...... The reason that Ded has the jagged lines in his shirt and around his symbol... well thats just how I originally designed him.... Things are slowly taking shape as you said... Ded certainly looks different now then he did before

Again thank you for the review and I will be making changes as things progress!

-MrEff-

Cayen

Post by Cayen »

I liked my review. It's an awsome gauge of what I need to work on.

Speaking of which I need to get crackin
As Nill continues to learn about the world around her, secrets of the past come bubbling through.
<a href="http://ssdd.keenspace.com">Draco Eques Tristitia</a>

Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero

Post by Corgan_dane »

viewtopic.php?p=876555#876555

It is teh DONE! Now remove me from thy filthy list! :D

MrEff
Regular Poster

Post by MrEff »

Cayen wrote:I liked my review. It's an awsome gauge of what I need to work on.

Speaking of which I need to get crackin
Amen to that! Speaking for myself as well....

-MrEff-

Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

Post by Keffria »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:
Keffria wrote:*looks at the mess in the actual thread* Dammit! What did you ruffians do to my beautiful thread?!

I just want to apologize for making PeppermintAfterlife disappear from the forums again with this thread. (Damn, either my archives are too big or too boring, and he's embarrassed to back out. :wink: )
EDIT: I just posted my inexcusibly late-ass review. I hope you find it helpful.
I was just poking fun with my comment; the archives are large and take a while to pick up.

But anyway, thank you! ^^

I've often wondered whether I "jump around" too much; it's a relief to hear that someone else has noticed it, but doesn't find it to be too much of an impediment.

(Sometimes, I think I'm trying to handle too many plot-threads at once; I'll go for a few pages on the main storyline, then realize that I've left a particular plot-point dangling for months. Others have been left lying and probably won't get picked up again -- actually, the pages that you found particularly confusing are probably an example of said dangling threads, and I almost wish I could figure out a way to edit the elves out of the comic entirely.)

You're right about the title image in the archives; it's ridiculous that it takes up most of the screen, but I never would've noticed it if someone hadn't pointed it out to me.

Nightgaunt
Regular Poster

Post by Nightgaunt »

I liked the review of my comic. Sure there's a tidbit that I think the reviewer missed/misunderstood about it, but there was a lot of useful criticism. And better yet there were things I hadn't even noticed about it before.
http://ruetheday.keenspace.com Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners.

Ida
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ida »

Another one finished! :D Now take me off the naughty list, Santa...
Warning: This poster regularly makes unintentionally sexual posts. Or at least "unintentional" is what she claims...

Keffria

Post by Keffria »

Ida, I want to thank you *profusely* for giving my comic a good tearing-apart. I only wish that there was some way for me to go back and sort out the comprehensibility issues without, y'know, redrawing the comic. ;)

It's certainly no excuse, but I think a lot of the issues stem from the fact that I have the ending all planned out, and I often forget that I'm the only one who knows how things fit together. I was thinking that perhaps Liam might be equally confused by everything; do you suppose it would be too cheezy to have Keffria attempt to explain a few things to him? I'm afraid no one in the current party can explain the elves... But the relationship between Galad, Keffria and Tristen, surely.

As for the elves... Gawd, I hate those elves. Why, oh why, oh why did I think it would be cool to have elves?! >_<

Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)

Post by Phalanx »

A bit late to poke my head in on this, but I like both my reviews!

Oh, and Jops, get you liked my review of your comics. I wondered if it was a little short, then a realised it was probably due to me getting used to writing for "Finds".
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

Faub

Post by Faub »

MrEff wrote:As far as character design goes "Sketch" is supposed to be more jagged as he is.... well a sketch...... The reason that Ded has the jagged lines in his shirt and around his symbol... well thats just how I originally designed him....
Ah! I see. It looked a lot like you were filling the shirt area at very low resolution and it was leaving a white halo. Those are really easy to get rid of which is why I mentioned it.

Subhuman
Cartoon Hero

Post by Subhuman »

if you are joining just because you want to hear nice things about your work, then it means you will be giving the lamest reviews possible to get it out of the way as quickly as possible. I saw some people doing this on the last thread.
I'm afraid I was one of those, but not on purpose. I didn't know how in-depth our reviews should have been, since I didn't even know there was another Webcomic Above thread, so I just posted a condensed blurb for PeppermintAfterlife's comic. I meant to go back and elaborate on my review once I saw some of the others, but I never got around to it...

So, huge apologies to Peppermint. Somebody give him a proper review. :oops:

MrEff
Regular Poster

Post by MrEff »

faub wrote:
MrEff wrote:As far as character design goes "Sketch" is supposed to be more jagged as he is.... well a sketch...... The reason that Ded has the jagged lines in his shirt and around his symbol... well thats just how I originally designed him....
Ah! I see. It looked a lot like you were filling the shirt area at very low resolution and it was leaving a white halo. Those are really easy to get rid of which is why I mentioned it.
I did go back and re-do todays strip... I figured out how to get rid of those pesky lil gray dots that were everywhere....It's been re-uploaded if you want to check it out and let me know what you think....

And no worries like every good comic Ded & Co will be evolving design-wise as I progress into the future!

-MrEff-

Anywherebuthere
Cartoon Hero

Post by Anywherebuthere »

RPin wrote:No! Go back to your room and think about what you've done. A week without dessert will teach you good manners too, young man.
But DAAAAAAAAD eating figgy rat dropping pudding is the only joy I have in life.

Ida
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ida »

Keffria wrote:Ida, I want to thank you *profusely* for giving my comic a good tearing-apart. I only wish that there was some way for me to go back and sort out the comprehensibility issues without, y'know, redrawing the comic. ;)

It's certainly no excuse, but I think a lot of the issues stem from the fact that I have the ending all planned out, and I often forget that I'm the only one who knows how things fit together. I was thinking that perhaps Liam might be equally confused by everything; do you suppose it would be too cheezy to have Keffria attempt to explain a few things to him? I'm afraid no one in the current party can explain the elves... But the relationship between Galad, Keffria and Tristen, surely.

As for the elves... Gawd, I hate those elves. Why, oh why, oh why did I think it would be cool to have elves?! >_<
I'm glad you weren't hurt by the review - I really don't want to be harsh, and I actually liked the comic quite a large bit, so I'm glad you can use the critique. About the explaining to Liam thing; yes, that might work fine, especially if you do it through one of those text sequences. Often, the newer scenes in the comic did help sort out things that were confusing before, so doing this would most likely help the family thing a lot, and not be cheesy at all. In general, I just think you need to be careful with the mysteriousness - only use it where it's necessary, and try to explain things that aren't supposed to be mysterious to the best of your ability. I think that would help the comic.

And elves... Yeah, I did get the feeling you weren't as keen on those anymore. :wink:
Warning: This poster regularly makes unintentionally sexual posts. Or at least "unintentional" is what she claims...

K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Post by K-Dawg »

Noooooooooo Ida, you forgot to tell her she needs to draw fairy butt! :(

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey

Lintjinks
Regular Poster

Post by Lintjinks »

Heyo :)

I can't really participate in this sort of thing unless I take some time to read through archives and put out a decent review. My placeholder was there for about a week or so, but I didn't think that would be much of a problem. Apparently some people here need to sit back, take a deep breath, and eat some cookies.

By the way, I liked both of my reviews, too, getting the bonus unexpected Golden review :D

Thanks to persons who reviewed.

Christwriter
Cartoon Hero

Post by Christwriter »

Ok, might as well ask it.

How annoying is it for somebody to keep posting in the thread after they've been reviewed a couple times?

I don't really NEED other reviews but I want to review other people and keep Webcomic Above as alive as possible. I try to keep it a rule never to post a review on the same page as a former review ('cause that's just silly) and such, but I WANT to review other people and I do like getting reviews because I can use them badly. I have no editors and if I show the comic to anybody other than my Mom I get a big "And this is Christian/suitable/worthy use of your time HOW?" and get to spend fifteen minutes explaining my justification instead of getting to hear how well or not well I'm doing. :roll:

So...since this IS the disucssion thread does this tick of anybody or can I keep spreading reviews around as much as I want?

CW
"Remember that the definition of an adventure is someone else having a hell of a hard time a thousand miles away."
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04

Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.

<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com"> Image</a>
<a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.

Dutch!
Red galah

Post by Dutch! »

It's like dinner at a party. It's okay to go back for seconds once you've given everyone a chance to have their firsts.

The bit I find tricky and mildly annoying is when you keep looking back at the thread and find either someone you've reviewed before at the bottom or someone who's work you have absolutely no interest in (possibly because it's furry, but that's only one possibililililility...).

So yeah, as long as you're not standing around the bowl of little boys for your third helping before anyone else has realised the food's ready, then I see no problem with it.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?