[POLL] New Name Deathmatch

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

What should the new name be?

comicgenesis.com aka comicgen.com
76%
webcomicspace.com
24%

Total votes : 126

Postby Leko on Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:30 pm

mcDuffies wrote:
Leko wrote:
Tangent wrote:Nah, too long. DamnFleas. Tiny, bounce around a lot, and impossible to kill (unless you have a nightlight and a bowl of soapy water underneath it). :D

Fleas don't fit the theme though. Bees, Wasps, Hornets. It's only logical. And DamnationHornets just rolls right off the tongue.

I was thinking of SonofaHornets.

HadesHornets? SatanHornets? DevilHornets? Hm. Hornets is a hard word to match a title to.
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!
Leko
Cartoon Hero

Postby Joel Fagin on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:12 am

STrRedWolf wrote:I'd like the color version too, as well as the atomic logo by itself. What I'll do is attempt a front page redesign.

Hey, just a random thought on that... What happens if you put in a row of newsboxes on the front page? If each one picked a different random comic, you'd have a quick and easy cheaty way of showing off the wares a bit like Spot does.

(It'd be nice to have a bit more on the front page - even if no one does go there. Image)

Anyway...

I don't have much webspace so I shrunk them to 300 DPI. Should be plenty for a website but let me know if you need something bigger. I've also left everything in layers so you can seperate the elements out if you need to. However, I did do versions of the CG logo just by itself anyway.

http://www.between-worlds.com/!junk/cgen_logotype.zip

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby AsterAzul on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:13 am

You could put one newsbox on each side.
AsterAzul
Regular Poster

Postby Joel Fagin on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:25 am

AsterAzul wrote:You could put one newsbox on each side.

Well, a row really makes it look like that, hey, here's some of our content and you should click on them to have a look. Sides makes them seem more like adverts and invites them to be looked over.

Anyway, right now it's only news and a guide link. That's pretty much like having a comic website's main page with just news and a link to the archives.

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby AsterAzul on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:28 am

I actually found it really difficult to find the archives the first time I went. I was thinking that maybe normal people weren't supposed to step foot on the main page, like it wasn't hospitable territory.
That was my first impression.

I dunno, I would have designed the first page to have some posterboy comics or something. Maybe if KeenSpace put its best foot forward instead of saying "Here's a mess of comics. Have fun," then it would be a little better off.
AsterAzul
Regular Poster

Postby Joel Fagin on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:38 am

AsterAzul wrote:Maybe if KeenSpace put its best foot forward instead of saying "Here's a mess of comics. Have fun," then it would be a little better off.

I agree but there's always the question of who represents the best foot and who decides that. We had similar discussions a while back when people were pitching the idea of making webcomic sub-collectives in Keenspace. The prevailing opinion was "a fair go for everyone, thanks."

A row of newsboxes is a quick and easy solution.

Edit: Sorry, Wolf, I just had another idea. It would probably be useful and more friendly to visitors, I think, to have links to certain pages of the guide right from the main page. For example, you could have a row of buttons for some of the more popular and broad genres, such as science fiction, fantasy, adult and so on. The Guide is already sorted into categories you can use. Not quite the right ones, mind you, but maybe something could be worked out.

Anyway, that drops in a clear, easy, non-overwhelming, genre-based category system. Like manga? There's a button on the main page that'll take you directly to more manga than you can probably handle! Easy!

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Leko on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:52 am

Joel Fagin wrote:
AsterAzul wrote:Maybe if KeenSpace put its best foot forward instead of saying "Here's a mess of comics. Have fun," then it would be a little better off.

I agree but there's always the question of who represents the best foot and who decides that. We had similar discussions a while back when people were pitching the idea of making webcomic sub-collectives in Keenspace. The prevailing opinion was "a fair go for everyone, thanks."

A row of newsboxes is a quick and easy solution.

- Joel Fagin

Could make a weekly contest or something to decide who gets in. Pick somebody who was willing to run it, almost like a dropdown. You're right though, a row of newsboxes is a lot more practical. The only question is, does the newsbox generate a random webcomic for each time it's loaded, or for each page it's loaded on? I have no idea how it works, of course. Just thinking maybe if you put a row of newsboxes on a single page, would each one generate a different ad or would they all be the same?
Image Image Image
Leko
Cartoon Hero

Postby Eric Theriault on Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:38 am

Okay, sorry if i'm repeating what someone else said: I only read page 1, 2 and 14 of this discussion.

I don't think ComicGenesis is a very good name because people may shorten it to ComicGen. And, do you guys know that a there was a comic book company named CrossGen?
That company was big for a while and a bit controversial in it's business dealings. It went bankrupt and still left a big group of artists unpaid for their art.
I would not want to be associated with this.

Also Genesis is the name of a lame Prog-Rock band from the seventies...
Eric Theriault
Regular Poster

Postby CaptainClaude on Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:01 am

Damn their Oily prog Hides!
CaptainClaude
Witty British President

Postby Phalanx on Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:47 am

Leko wrote: Just thinking maybe if you put a row of newsboxes on a single page, would each one generate a different ad or would they all be the same?

Nope. I ran an experiment to be sure. (And damn, one row of newsboxes surprisingly looks good!)

Eric Theriault wrote:I don't think ComicGenesis is a very good name because people may shorten it to ComicGen. And, do you guys know that a there was a comic book company named CrossGen?

Yes this came up in the original thread where we tossing around possible names. I think the general consesus is that it's a bit of a long stretch to the confusion anyway, and the other names weren't as popular.

Also Genesis is the name of a lame Prog-Rock band from the seventies...

Given that most of the spacers are under 30, I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's not as thought they did comics.
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Col on Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:40 am

Oh, I wanna make "I Can't Dance" our theme song! Then we can do that cool move they do in the video where they walk back and forth swinging their left arms with their left legs and their right arms with their right legs! It'd be SO COOL!!!
Col
Cartoon Villain

Postby AsterAzul on Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:38 am

Phalanx wrote:Nope. I ran an experiment to be sure. (And damn, one row of newsboxes surprisingly looks good!)

Ooh! I like it! Takes a while to load, though.

I still think that maybe we could compile a list of comics that update frequently and have nice big archives. I suppose it's sort pompous for someone to decide which ones go up, but it could change every month or so.

I think the best way to do it would be for someone to write a review of one comic that is considered exceptional each month, sort of like how DA spotlights an artist every day. There's enough old and respected Spacer comics to last a good long while, and you could review some comics that are a bit underground; ones that perhaps are have big archives and good art, etc, but not much of a readership.

I've heard something about a newsletter, but I've never really seen a link to it.

Oh, and I heartily congratulate the admins on fixing the main page. It's really nice to see news updates that are relevant and up-to-date.

One thing I know about human nature is that there's such a thing as an aura of confidence. Keenspace doesn't really project that in its propaganda, and maybe it's not supposed to. But if we wanted to make our site more popular, we could take a little more of a confident outlook on ourselves and our work, show a new face to the public. The name change could be the perfect chance for us. In the public's eye, we'll sort of be a new company. People could call us arrogant for being proud of our comics when anyone can sign up, but who cares? If we act like we think we're awesome, people will believe us. And even the people who think we're stupid will still wonder in the back of their minds, if maybe they're wrong.

I'm not trying to be bossy or a know-it-all, I know I'm just a newbie here. Just playing the voice of reason.
AsterAzul
Regular Poster

Postby Ida on Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:50 am

AsterAzul wrote: I've heard something about a newsletter, but I've never really seen a link to it.

Now you say that, a link to the newsletter on the main page would actually be a pretty good idea. It's supposed to cater to ALL Keenspace artists anyway (well, that's the impression I get from reading it), but as it is, the chances that a non-forumite would even know that it existed are pretty damn slim.
Warning: This poster regularly makes unintentionally sexual posts. Or at least "unintentional" is what she claims...

Ida
Cartoon Hero

Postby Spriteville, USA on Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:02 am

Only problem is that we're not the Official Newsletter. We aren't endorsed by Keenspace or Keenspot in any way. I'd rather leave it that way too because once you have people who back you then they can attempt to influence you. We're on our own. =]

If they wish to endorse us by putting us on the main page then by all means, however I won't let anyone tamper with the content of the newsletter. Which is why I'd be concerned about becoming "official".
Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero

Postby The Neko on Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:32 pm

Phalanx wrote:
Leko wrote: Just thinking maybe if you put a row of newsboxes on a single page, would each one generate a different ad or would they all be the same?

Nope. I ran an experiment to be sure.

They're all the same ad for me. Even after refreshing it was still the same ad.
jag saknar självförtroende
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude

Postby Faub on Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:39 pm

I got different ads. I don't know what the difference between our systems might be.

Since Chris Crosby has stated that we will be able to promote ourselves, the newsletter would be a perfect things for the main page.
Faub

Postby Leko on Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:11 pm

I got different ads as well. That does look pretty damn spiffy, Phalanx.

And if they put a link to the Newsletter on the main page, they could always have a note next to it that says it's the Unofficial newsletter. A disclaimer, or something. That way people can find it but it's understood that it's not up to the Keenspace/ComicGenesis administrators what content goes into it.
Image Image Image
Leko
Cartoon Hero

Postby DJMayhem on Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:59 pm

You know, i should work on this.
DJMayhem
cor leonis

Postby Leko on Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:34 pm

Wait, so it expired yesterday?
Image Image Image
Leko
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tangent on Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:48 pm

Actually if you glance at comicgen.com you get the same thing:
http://www.whois.net/whois.cgi2?d=comicgen.com

Could be that Keen Entertainment is just making sure someone else doesn't snatch up a name before they decide on it.
Robert A. Howard

Tangents

Save Clan of the Cats! This fantastic web-comic needs your help to stay alive! Even "just" reading the comic helps. Go to the web-site to learn more. :)
Tangent
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Archives