[POLL] New Name Deathmatch

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

What should the new name be?

comicgenesis.com aka comicgen.com
76%
webcomicspace.com
24%

Total votes : 126

Postby Corgan_dane on Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:44 pm

ditto. Just a red x.

Which is kinda snazzy...heh. :P
Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phalanx on Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:07 am

Joel Fagin wrote:
Kirb wrote:I'm not as sure. I'd still like to retain the whole 'space' feeling. And depending on your definition of Genesis, planets or nebulas could be considered the 'beginning.'

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. You can force it to mean anything you want for yourself but it won't translate that way for the average viewer.

Actually, I don't think he's forcing. Most people's impressions of 'Genesis' IS of the solar system. (Probably due to Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth").

And most picture the big bang as Blackness, then suddenly the solar system appearing. (Blame TV for this) Saturn happens to be one of the more noticable planets in the solar system, so it does have the suggestion. (Well that, and Star Trek maybe have been responsible for reinforcing the idea of planet = genesis)

Also, a logo doesn't HAVE to be a literal or primary representation of the word. McDonalds "Golden Arches" makes a play more on the letters in the name than food.

The "Nike" swoosh logo is what? the "wing of the Greek Goddess", and not THE Greek Goddess herself. (which I think is the actual meaning of Nike?)

Looking up Wiki: Here are the guideslines for a good logo:

A good logo:
-is simple
-looks good in black and white
-looks good in small size
-looks good appearing in a variety of situations (i.e. on products, in advertising, etc.)
-usually includes the name of the company
-communicates the image the company wants to project, as part of a marketing and -brand management strategy
-is instantly recognizable
-evokes some sort of emotional response.

Anyway, whatever anyone does, please don't make a logo integrating a speech balloon, because it's been done to death among comic logos.
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Joel Fagin on Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:48 am

Phalanx wrote:Actually, I don't think he's forcing. Most people's impressions of 'Genesis' IS of the solar system. (Probably due to Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth").

And most picture the big bang as Blackness, then suddenly the solar system appearing. (Blame TV for this) Saturn happens to be one of the more noticable planets in the solar system, so it does have the suggestion. (Well that, and Star Trek maybe have been responsible for reinforcing the idea of planet = genesis)

The sun works for that (comes up every day and after storms). Stars, too, the shooting star earlier, sun coming up from over a planet, all good. Not a ringed planet, though. That is the single most iconic planet for representing space, simply because a circle with a ring then becomes an easily recognisable planet whereas a circle could be anything. It's the simplest way of representing space, just as "red" is the simplest way of representing danger and a dotted speech bubble means whispering.

Also, a logo doesn't HAVE to be a literal or primary representation of the word. McDonalds "Golden Arches" makes a play more on the letters in the name than food.

Oh, that's fine. That defines a new icon by adapting a general purpose one (the letter "m") with no fixed connotations. The planet thing is using an already established specific icon to try and get a different meaning out of it.

(Edit: I tell a lie. "M" does have a connotation in "Mmmmm" as an expression of something tasting nice.)

The "Nike" swoosh logo is what? the "wing of the Greek Goddess", and not THE Greek Goddess herself. (which I think is the actual meaning of Nike?)

Well, that was creating a new icon again and not adapting an old one, but even that carries all the right impressions. Motion, speed, a sharp corner elegantly executed...

A good logo:
-communicates the image the company wants to project, as part of a marketing and -brand management strategy

Those are all technical issues bar the two I left in. The second last is the key here. A planet does not project anything relevant to comics, genesis or what this place is and does.

Anyway, whatever anyone does, please don't make a logo integrating a speech balloon, because it's been done to death among comic logos.

Oh, yes. Absolutely. Alas, it's the only icon comics have for themselves...

(Unless you count Scott McCloud's open and closed eye icon.)

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Phalanx on Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:38 am

Joel Fagin wrote:The sun works for that (comes up every day and after storms). Stars, too, the shooting star earlier, sun coming up from over a planet, all good. Not a ringed planet, though. That is the single most iconic planet for representing space, simply because a circle with a ring then becomes an easily recognisable planet whereas a circle could be anything.

Personally I don't see how a shooting star (piece of rock burning up on re-entry) represents creation, but I suppose I'm an oddity that I connect the word Genesis to "Big Bang" and therefore Space. (And I actually thought it was a nice subtle coincidence too)

It's the simplest way of representing space, just as "red" is the simplest way of representing danger and a dotted speech bubble means whispering.

Actually, not true depending on where you are. Red has many different meanings in different cultures, the meanings of which vary from "prosperous" to "brave" to "passion'.

Well, that was creating a new icon again and not adapting an old one, but even that carries all the right impressions. Motion, speed, a sharp corner elegantly executed...

And what is <s>Keenspace Toonspace WebcomicSpace</s> Comic Genesis supposed to be representing exactly, I ask? *whistles innocently* ;)

A good logo:

Those are all technical issues bar the two I left in. The second last is the key here. A planet does not project anything relevant to comics, genesis or what this place is and does.

I disagree. I think a planet is often symbolic of the word "creation" and well... we create comics. Also, the double implication of the "space" connotation (as you have kindly pointed out) certainly helps with the historical angle without directly stamping "WE USED TO BE KEENSPACE" across the logo. (Emotional response).

At any rate, it's pointless to debate this until we know for certain what we're going to be called. And even then it's most likely the final decision will be decided by the vote of the majority anyway. If it works for people even by defying the so-called rules of graphic design, then it works.

In the meantime we let's just keep throwing out logo designs.
Phalanx

Postby Ghastly on Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:25 am

Webcomicspace is too dull and will likely cause brand confusion with Webcomics Nation.
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:56 am

Ghastly wrote:*Banner*

:D Fancy. :D
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Postby Kris X on Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:28 am

corgan_dane wrote:ditto. Just a red x.

Which is kinda snazzy...heh. :P

I agree. Just a red X. Hmhmhmwahahaa.
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten

Postby Brockway on Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:32 am

Perhaps thats the idea Ghastly? Maybe the plan is to somehow cross contaminate the Webcomics Nation name with the brand confusion thing they say they have now with Keenpot and Space.

I dunno, the whole thing makes my head hurt. I do like Comic Genesis better than those other 2 from the poll by a long shot.
Updating again!
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW
Brockway
Dirty Old Man

Postby Faub on Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:31 pm

bah... The images I made work locally but not after I ftp them. I give up.
Faub

Postby Mirosui Onitsaki on Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:38 pm

Webcomicspace is good.
Mirosui Onitsaki

Postby Dotty on Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:44 pm

I think the whole planets/space etc thing for genesis is how I connected them, almost instantly. I mean heck, a planet would make LOTS of sense for us. We create comics. Hell, we create WORLDS. Sometimes our own PLANETS. :p

I love all these logos. Just don't give me one of bible-thumping proportions. :P
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Joel Fagin on Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:22 pm

Phalanx wrote:Personally I don't see how a shooting star (piece of rock burning up on re-entry) represents creation,

It's thought of as one of those beautiful natural events of God's, like rainbows and sunsets.

Actually, not true depending on where you are. Red has many different meanings in different cultures, the meanings of which vary from "prosperous" to "brave" to "passion'.

Well, yeah, but we're talking about the web culture here and that's mainly America.

And what is <s>Keenspace Toonspace WebcomicSpace</s> Comic Genesis supposed to be representing exactly, I ask? *whistles innocently* ;)

Graphic Designer Answer: What do you want it to represent?

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby McDuffies on Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:33 pm

Pillywiggin wrote:And put the shooting star over the text instead of under it.

...and flowers! Lets of flowers! I like flowers.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Phalanx on Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:37 pm

Just experimenting in making the G more prominent by flipping the colours. What do you guys see first? G or Planet?
Phalanx

Postby Joel Fagin on Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:56 pm

Phalanx wrote:Just experimenting in making the G more prominent by flipping the colours. What do you guys see first? G or Planet?

G. It doesn't quite look like the G is the letter that goes in front of "ens", though.

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Joel Fagin on Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:15 pm

Overly special effectsy but I think it suits it.

Edit 1: Faub, if you like, you can email your design to me. I'll host it. joelfagin at hotmail dot com.

Edit 2: Slightly different version doodled in an attempt to avoid drawing my next comic. Attempt 100% sucessfull.

And suddenly we have a halo-motif instead of an atom. Alas, we lose the stylised initials.

- Joel Fagin
Last edited by Joel Fagin on Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby The Neko on Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:25 pm

Holy shit Joel Fagin's looks awesome. It would also be good in other color formats to fit different designs. I like the layout of it.
jag saknar självförtroende
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude

Postby Sput on Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:31 pm

The Neko wrote:Holy shit Joel Fagin's looks awesome. It would also be good in other color formats to fit different designs. I like the layout of it.
lazy sput is lazy.
Sput
Needs an Oil Checkup

Postby Ryuko on Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:32 pm

Agreed. It's glowy and chic and perfect.
Ryuko
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rianeva on Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:32 pm

Ooo, that's a good one. Very clear, gets to the point fast.
Rianeva
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Archives