[POLL] Choose Your Favorite Potential Name For Keenspace

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

What's your favorite new name for Keenspace?

toonspace.com
38%
webcomicspace.com
62%

Total votes : 106

Postby Col on Tue May 24, 2005 7:21 am

I see nothing wrong with toonspace at all. It's just a domain name, it's not the title of my comic. Keenspace had squat to do with what we're doing, and now something that's more closely related is no good? Please, if we were originally known as ToonSpace and ToonSpot, and they voted to change us to Keenspace, everyone would have been up in arms over the fact that keen has nothing to do with comics. Has it even occurred to anyone that, golly gee, anyone outside of our little circle of creators, the average person would throw comics in the same demographic as cartoons? Much as we like to insist on the fact that there are comics that have strong story-telling and artistic value, the majority of the population on this planet still see comics as childish. If that weren't the case, there'd be a heck of a lot more graphic novels in the bookstores, more comicbook stores in the outlet malls, and more successful webcomic artists. So jump off the pedestal, folks. Just because the name is toonspace doesn't mean the visits are going to suddenly dropoff. That only happens if your comic is crap. Worry about that instead of that silly name in between your webcomic title and .com
Col
Cartoon Villain

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Tue May 24, 2005 7:25 am

I think I'm the only person that actually liked the name keenspace. It was a great name with just enough imaginative possibilty.
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby Rkolter on Tue May 24, 2005 8:19 am

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:I think I'm the only person that actually liked the name keenspace. It was a great name with just enough imaginative possibilty.

... er... care to rephrase that?

LOTS of people liked Keenspace. That's why there's such a riot about the name change.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Mr.Bob on Tue May 24, 2005 8:25 am

Saturnspace.

I reckon it has a nice ring to it!

(For you serious people out there, disregard this suggestion)
Mr.Bob
:(

Postby Rkolter on Tue May 24, 2005 8:27 am

Mr.Bob wrote:Saturnspace.

I reckon it has a nice ring to it!

Several, actually. :P

[derail]And thanks for the cool new title, by the way! When didja do that?[/derail]
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
Rkolter

Postby Mr.Bob on Tue May 24, 2005 8:29 am

Actually... I made that for Ghastly ages ago and then forgot about it. You just happened to have hit upon his magic postcount number! :P
Mr.Bob

Postby Subhuman on Tue May 24, 2005 8:29 am

"Webcomicspace"? Are you kidding?

Just stick with Toonspace, people. It works.
Subhuman
Cartoon Hero

Postby Faub on Tue May 24, 2005 8:30 am

STrRedWolf wrote:One thing to note, as I understand how Kisai has coded things and how things are generated:

We can give folks the choice of their domain. So we can do:

ToonSpace -- Safe comics.
StripSpace -- R and X rated (we'll have to do self-serve ads on this one)
SpaceChan -- Anime/Manga related, maybe furry.
WebComicSpace* -- The catchall

As well as

dotsig.org -- Donated domain

To do this, we would have to modify the DB slightly for signups, tweak the code to generate the multiple hosting domains. Any one of us can do that.

Dude. This is the best idea yet! Why have one catchall when it's as easy to branch out and have many.

Furryspace
Fablespace

The possibilities are endless! This sounds like the comic portals idea that was mentioned about a year ago. I liked the idea then too.

Why try to associate story comics with strip comics? Let them be their own thing.
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby ShineDog on Tue May 24, 2005 8:34 am

i think thats probably the best

EpicSpace!
SciFiSpace!

ok those sound rubbish.

and yeah, i think there would be a psychological tendancy to shy away from toonspace if you arent looking for... well. fun little toons.

i think a brand name means a lot. if the brand name says the wrong thing about the comics, people will be less inclined to look in the first place, although i doubt it would effect EXISTING readership.
Jaw droppingly large strawberry desserts.
ShineDog
Regular Poster

Postby Rkolter on Tue May 24, 2005 8:34 am

Smartspace for comics that try to teach stuff? :)
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Mr.Bob on Tue May 24, 2005 8:35 am

Emptyspace for dead comics! There's room for everyone!
Mr.Bob

Postby Spriteville, USA on Tue May 24, 2005 8:39 am

Heh heh, I'd be the King of SpriteSpace, and Rianeva would be my Queen.

Unfortuantly there wouldn't be too many worthwhile subjects for us to rule over, but still... I'd be King man! King!
Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ghastly on Tue May 24, 2005 8:41 am

Mr.Bob wrote:Actually... I made that for Ghastly ages ago and then forgot about it. You just happened to have hit upon his magic postcount number! :P

I miss my pwn3z all title. :cry:
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rianeva on Tue May 24, 2005 8:44 am

Spriteville, USA wrote:Heh heh, I'd be the King of SpriteSpace, and Rianeva would be my Queen.

Unfortuantly there wouldn't be too many worthwhile subjects for us to rule over, but still... I'd be King man! King!

It would still be awesome. =p
Rianeva
Regular Poster

Postby CJBurgandy on Tue May 24, 2005 8:44 am

faub wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:One thing to note, as I understand how Kisai has coded things and how things are generated:

We can give folks the choice of their domain. So we can do:

ToonSpace -- Safe comics.
StripSpace -- R and X rated (we'll have to do self-serve ads on this one)
SpaceChan -- Anime/Manga related, maybe furry.
WebComicSpace* -- The catchall

As well as

dotsig.org -- Donated domain

To do this, we would have to modify the DB slightly for signups, tweak the code to generate the multiple hosting domains. Any one of us can do that.

Dude. This is the best idea yet! Why have one catchall when it's as easy to branch out and have many.

Furryspace
Fablespace

The possibilities are endless! This sounds like the comic portals idea that was mentioned about a year ago. I liked the idea then too.

Why try to associate story comics with strip comics? Let them be their own thing.

I have to admit, it'd be the best solution to end bickering.

Ghastly wrote:
Mr.Bob wrote:Actually... I made that for Ghastly ages ago and then forgot about it. You just happened to have hit upon his magic postcount number! :P

I miss my pwn3z all title. :cry:

So do I. I was sad the day mine was gone... *sighs*

is it just me, or are the top five posters on Keenspace some of the most perverted spacers here?
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger

Postby Faub on Tue May 24, 2005 8:48 am

And it would be fun to go to a con with a Fablespace flyer and promote a group of related comics. Or put together a Fablespace sampler that included a bunch of similar comics. Put that side-by-side with a Toonspace sampler that included kid-safe comics so you didn't have to tell the parents to read the comics before letting their kids look.

It would be something like a rating system and it might even allow advertisers to focus their content a little more so you don't get the booby ads on comics for small children. Seriously, this has a LOT of potential. I hope Chris Crosby is reading.
Faub

Postby Phalanx on Tue May 24, 2005 8:49 am

It is a great idea... The only problem is knowing where to stop with the number of domains, because I think you would need to know all of them before you can do any coding.
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.
Phalanx

Postby Mr.Bob on Tue May 24, 2005 8:59 am

it should be no more than 5.
Mr.Bob

Postby McDuffies on Tue May 24, 2005 9:25 am

It just came to my mind so I thought I'd mention:
Wouldn't webcomicspace cause brand confusion with webcomicnation?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Ida on Tue May 24, 2005 9:25 am

Mr.Bob wrote:it should be no more than 5.

Seconded. On a similiar note, while I like the idea of different domains to choose from, I'm a bit worried that it might split up the unity of 'Space. I've always considered being a part of this huge, versatible community one of the best things about Keenspace, and I'd be sad to see everyone drift off in their own direction.
Warning: This poster regularly makes unintentionally sexual posts. Or at least "unintentional" is what she claims...

Ida
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Archives