[POLL] Choose Your Favorite Potential Name For Keenspace

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

What's your favorite new name for Keenspace?

toonspace.com
38%
webcomicspace.com
62%

Total votes : 106

Postby Dutch! on Tue May 24, 2005 12:02 am

I suppose Comicspace was already taken?

I'd go with the latter if I had to make a decision. As they said, toonspace sounds a bit childish and so forth and although my characters are kids themselves, I think they've got a bit more integrity than that.

How long do we have before all of the domains are changed? We could surely come up with a better selection to base a decision on if we knew the time frame we had to play within.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby Jakkal on Tue May 24, 2005 12:04 am

If "Toonspace" is a slap in the face, you take yourself too seriously.

No Sir, I take my comic seriously. And that is the essence of my point.
Jakkal
Regular Poster

Postby The Neko on Tue May 24, 2005 12:04 am

Actually, Cartoon was originally an artist term for an unfinished drawing.
jag saknar självförtroende
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude

Postby Jackhass on Tue May 24, 2005 12:05 am

Jakkal wrote:I find "Toonspace" to be a slap in the face for any 'serious' themed comic on Keenspace. "Toon" implies a derivative of animations, we all know it's short for "Cartoon". Cartoon, while one of it's definitions is a "comic strip", it's actual definitions, and connotations refer to humorous or sarcastic drawings. Many of us have comics that more along the lines of Graphic Novels to cute little cartoons.

Uhhh...not all cartoons are just cute little sarcastic drawings. Animation can be completely serious...as long as you watch something outside of Bugs Bunny and Spongebob Squarepants.

Hell, "Webcomic" actually implies humor more than "Toon" or "cartoon" does. Where do you think the term comic or comic book comes from? The fact that they're supposed to be comical.

Cartoons on the other hand don't necessarily have to be anything of the sort, nor do cartoonists have to work solely on humorous work.

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero

Postby Yeahduff on Tue May 24, 2005 12:18 am

Jakkal wrote:
If "Toonspace" is a slap in the face, you take yourself too seriously.

No Sir, I take my comic seriously. And that is the essence of my point.

Take your comic seriously. That's fine. But a slap in the face? Don't mean to be rude, but that's quite the overstatement.

In either case, whatever. We'll all get used to whatever it turns out being and we'll all just take it for granted and continue making our comics and it'll be a lot like it was yesterday.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Kisai on Tue May 24, 2005 12:18 am

Put it this way.

The domain itself is trivial. I can make all the domains automatically point to whatever I want. All the non-keenspace.com domains have auto-wildcard mode, If it was so desired we could have a half dozen domain names for people to pick from, it's just a matter of what you want in the URL. The only reason keenspace.com itself isn't in wildcard mode is because of the millions of dead links to extinct/broken keenspace sites that exist on thousands of websites. (and by millions I mean all those forum links in peoples sigs...)
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Risky on Tue May 24, 2005 12:21 am

Well, "webcomic space" is a common term in the vernacular (as in someone isn't using their webomic space, someone made an extra webcomic space for their rants, etc)... so it seems reasonable. I suggest if you bought toonspace, you use it to host a more dedicated animated comics hosting service.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby -Rain- on Tue May 24, 2005 12:22 am

In either case, whatever. We'll all get used to whatever it turns out being and we'll all just take it for granted and continue making our comics and it'll be a lot like it was yesterday.

Besides, how many of us came here because of the domain name? I sure didn't. I came for the free hosting and lack of pop-ups :P (autokeen, that I discovered later). So I guess we will get used to the new name in time.

And thanks for trying to give an alternative, tough it seems that no one likes them too much.
-Rain-
Regular Poster

Postby Evil Jamie! on Tue May 24, 2005 12:23 am

Don't wanna be know as yourcomic.toonspace or .webcomic? I totally have the problem solved.
After the name change, whatever it may be, go here
If you don't wanna shell out eight bucks or so for a your own .com then hell, whatever, it's not like you're paying for space or anything.
Evil Jamie!
Cartoon Hero

Postby Pillywiggin on Tue May 24, 2005 12:25 am

Meh.

I'm feeling too apathetic about this to vote right now. What're the stats at?
Image Image Image
Pillywiggin
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Jackhass on Tue May 24, 2005 12:36 am

^ Webcomicspace is winning by a fairly large margin...

My Keenspace Forum!
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero

Postby Joel Fagin on Tue May 24, 2005 12:38 am

Semantics aside, the English language is pretty much what people believe it to be. Therefore, cartoons are silly fun for children, animation is more serious, comics are superhero fantasies, comic strips are short gags, webcomics cover all of the above online, salary is nothing to do with salt and nice means "pleasant" rather than "foolish".

And I also think everyone's taking it way too seriously. I mean serious is fine, but this is a little too far out the other side.

Webcomic Space seems fine. In lieu of something weird like Doombees, something simple, straightforward and descriptive works, especially for what is, let's face it, the "default" webcomics space on the web.

"Webcomic List", "OnlineComics.net", "Webcomic Space". Fits in fine. Heck, even Comixpedia is only a little more stylised than those.

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Jackhass on Tue May 24, 2005 12:43 am

Joel Fagin wrote:Therefore, cartoons are silly fun for children...

Yeah, well anyone with even a tiny passing knowledge of animation and cartooning wouldn't claim that...but I suppose if we must cater to the ignorant.

My Keenspace Forum!
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero

Postby Risky on Tue May 24, 2005 12:44 am

Too bad electricmanga.com is taken. And the term GNIP. By very savvy people both.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby Joel Fagin on Tue May 24, 2005 1:03 am

Jackhass wrote:Yeah, well anyone with even a tiny passing knowledge of animation and cartooning wouldn't claim that...but I suppose if we must cater to the ignorant.

Animation is different, though. So is anime. In the collective minds of the general population, they all refer to a different subset of the same thing.

You can fight it, but... Well, nice doesn't mean foolish anymore, does it? You just have to work with it.

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Ida on Tue May 24, 2005 1:27 am

Meh, I don't know. Webcomicspace seems more appropriate, but I prefer the ring toonspace has to it, even if it's rather inappropriate for some of the comics here. Also, webcomicspace might seem just a bit too long, wheras 'toon' is the same number of syllables as 'keen'. My vote goes to "The Space formerly known as Keen." :wink:
Warning: This poster regularly makes unintentionally sexual posts. Or at least "unintentional" is what she claims...

Ida
Cartoon Hero

Postby Chibiartstudios on Tue May 24, 2005 1:34 am

Jackhass wrote:
Joel Fagin wrote:Therefore, cartoons are silly fun for children...

Yeah, well anyone with even a tiny passing knowledge of animation and cartooning wouldn't claim that...but I suppose if we must cater to the ignorant.

Oh Yeah!? Well your a doodie head!

Seriously though. Toonspace would normally sound better if we all where in the PG13 and below range. When you start factoring in the more... adult work featured it gets a little less apropriate. So instead I voted for the second one. It sounds less dinamic but it fits better.

Wait! I know! Is Keenspace taken!? That would be an awesome name!

*Checks it out*

Crap! Someone took it already!
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster

Postby Jackhass on Tue May 24, 2005 1:44 am

Joel Fagin wrote:Well, nice doesn't mean foolish anymore, does it?

Yeah, and how long ago was the word nice still used to refer to someone who was foolish? By comparison anyone who's at all educated on the subject today doesn't consider the term cartoon or cartoonist to only refer to cute little fluffy doodles...or whatever the guy above seems to think the word "cartoon" applies to.

To say being referred to as a cartoonist or your work as a cartoon is a slap in the face is completely asinine and in fact is a slap in the face to all the great artists who have referred to themselves as cartoonists.

My Keenspace Forum!
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero

Postby Chibiartstudios on Tue May 24, 2005 1:49 am

I agree. It's just that "toon" has a more youthfull less serious feel to it. Despite the fact that cartoons CAN be anything the fact is that the public hears certain words in certain ways.

Being reffered to as a cartoonist, however, is far from an insult though. You have my full agreement there.
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster

Postby Turnsky on Tue May 24, 2005 2:00 am

Toon, as stated before, can imply that it's safe for the viewing of small children... some of the comics here aren't safe for work, let alone safe for children..

so i'm sticking with webcomicspace.. which is more descriptive of the content, as i stated before..

"toon" implies something that's cute, friendly, and amusing see "looney toons" (even tho it's really looney tunes) or any other type of show of that type.. animated refers to something that's given the ability to move without any other means of motivation (i.e a puppet isn't animated) an excellent reference of animation is actually stop-motion animation, like wallice and gromit, and that's hardly a cartoon, innit?

webcomic is an umbrella term of a myriad of comic works, whether they be safe for kids, graphic novel, voilent, hero-style marvel type comics, horror, manga (anime refers to an actaul movie being made in that style, a manga movie is an animated adaptation of a manga comic), film noir like, anthropomorphic, shapeshifter, or any other comic term that the keenspace guide actually uses.
"when a hero dies, he becomes a legend, that legend, with time, becomes a myth, then a fable, that fable, is then carved in stone, and when that stone crumbles, it is lost" - Takahn.
Turnsky
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Archives