Keenspace will soon be Toonspace

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

Postby Terotrous on Mon May 23, 2005 7:50 pm

I think it's kind of bland sounding (which has been said like a billion times), but I actually refer to my comics as cartoons from time to time and I probably fit the bill of it.

Besides, even if we draw webcomics we're still called cartoonists. Webcomicers just hasn't caught on as much, from what I've seen.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby Vorticus on Mon May 23, 2005 7:57 pm

I honestly don't really care about the name change. Are we going to get a timetable for when we have to change the "This comic hosted on Keenspace" tag on our pages?
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend

Postby STrRedWolf on Mon May 23, 2005 8:01 pm

One year.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Re: Keenspace will soon be Toonspace

Postby Ghastly on Mon May 23, 2005 8:04 pm

Chris Crosby wrote:To hopefully make up for that "announcing the announcement in a Websnark comment" idiocy earlier, I'll announce the name publicly first here right on 'Space Forums.

It's Toonspace.

Toonspace you say?

Well it is a remarkably bland and utterly forgettable name, but then again let's face it, Keenspot and Keenspace wern't exactly that great a bunch of names either really.
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ryuko on Mon May 23, 2005 8:06 pm

(braces self for Ghastly explosion...)

Wait... That was IT?

(sigh of relief)

And yet... I feel gypped.
Ryuko
Cartoon Hero

Postby Maxim Kovalenko on Mon May 23, 2005 8:15 pm

Ghastly wrote:

Toonspace you say?

Thanks for that link Ghastly...they have a very cool freebie rapier on that site that I may end up using in an art piece sometime :D
Maxim Kovalenko
Regular Poster

Postby Maxim Kovalenko on Mon May 23, 2005 8:19 pm

Ghastly wrote:

Toonspace you say?

Thanks for that link Ghastly...they have a very cool freebie rapier on that site that I may end up using in an art piece sometime :D
Maxim Kovalenko
Regular Poster

Postby Dotty on Mon May 23, 2005 8:21 pm

Uh oh. Toonspace is taken?

:D

I say go with stripspace and that whacky bobs logo. The one with the stripper. :lol:
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby AsterAzul on Mon May 23, 2005 8:28 pm

...It'll grow on us.

Toonspace...
toonspace...

>_<

I keep imagining the Animaniacs.
Well, since we can't change the name we'll just have to change pop culture.
AsterAzul
Regular Poster

Postby Ghastly on Mon May 23, 2005 8:30 pm

Yes, it was bad enough a handful of artists on Keenspot dictated that the thousands of artists on Keenspace have to change their name but then the ultimate kick in the balls is the name they change us to took all of two seconds to come up with, is already being used by another artist, is more commonly associated with animated cartoons than comics and is diminishing to comic artists who don't do cartoony strips.

But then again I suppose it is easier to remember than wehavenorespectforyouasartistsandsonameyourcommunitytoreflectthisdisdainspace.com and it pretty much means the same thing.
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero

Postby KODAMA on Mon May 23, 2005 8:31 pm

:'d hmm.. there are a few mentions of keen being "nerdy" or "geeky," but the first thing I thought when I saw the word "keen," uh, some four years ago, was "aware" or "experienced," such as: My mother was keen on all things related to being a mother; or: My teacher was a very keen chess player.

...and I have never been referred to as a "cartoonist." XD

But I have been referred to that weird japanese term "manga-ka," which sounds a lot like the more familiar term "manhwaga," where manhwa is synonymous to the american word "cartoon" (although there is also a wide understanding that there are 'cartoons' meant for older audiences and merely considered a type of medium, like drama, theatre, song or movies) and ga just means the "~ist" part of, for example: the word "cartoonist"

eh, but this is a mouthful. I like the term creator.
http://looks.keenspace.com/d/20020901.html

So anyway, synonymns of keen:
dictionary.com wrote:Einstein, astute, bright, brilliant, canny, clever, discerning, discriminating, nobody's fool, perceptive, perspicacious, quick, quick, sagacious, sapient, sensitive, sharp, shrewd, whiz, wise, accomplished, adroit, agile, artful, brilliant, clever, deft, dexterous, effective capable, effectual, efficient, equal to, experienced, expert, facile, gifted, ingenious, intelligent, learned, masterful, masterly, paid dues, powerful, practiced, prepared, proficient, qualified, responsible, right there, savvy, sharp, skilled, skillful, smart, talented, trained, agog, alert, animate, animated, anxious, appetent, ardent, athirst, avid, breathless, devoted, dying to, eager, earnest, ebullient, fervent, fervid, fierce, fired up, fond of, gay, gotta have, gung ho, impassioned, impatient, intense, intent, interested, lively, nutty, perfervid, spirited, sprightly, thirsty, vehement, vivacious, warm, zealous

(there are probably repeating sysnonymns)

I really like whizspace XD haha, or deftspace, quickspace, sharpspace, brightspace... and maybe savvyspace? XD we could go with "livespace" but then livejournal may try to kick 'space's ass legally.
Last edited by KODAMA on Mon May 23, 2005 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KODAMA
Spodama Mon

Postby Steverules on Mon May 23, 2005 8:38 pm

We should have chosen "boobspace". Think of all the misguided hits we'd get.
Steverules
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Mon May 23, 2005 8:41 pm

People who use boobs to advertise should be ashamed of themselves. I am soooooo above that.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby Kirb on Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm

KODAMA wrote:So anyway, synonymns of keen:
dictionary.com wrote:Einstein, astute, bright, brilliant, canny, clever, discerning, discriminating, nobody's fool, perceptive, perspicacious, quick, quick, sagacious, sapient, sensitive, sharp, shrewd, whiz, wise, accomplished, adroit, agile, artful, brilliant, clever, deft, dexterous, effective capable, effectual, efficient, equal to, experienced, expert, facile, gifted, ingenious, intelligent, learned, masterful, masterly, paid dues, powerful, practiced, prepared, proficient, qualified, responsible, right there, savvy, sharp, skilled, skillful, smart, talented, trained, agog, alert, animate, animated, anxious, appetent, ardent, athirst, avid, breathless, devoted, dying to, eager, earnest, ebullient, fervent, fervid, fierce, fired up, fond of, gay, gotta have, gung ho, impassioned, impatient, intense, intent, interested, lively, nutty, perfervid, spirited, sprightly, thirsty, vehement, vivacious, warm, zealous

(there are probably repeting sysnonymns)

Here are the exact definitions of 'Keen.'
I always thought of the 'keen' in keenspace in the 'enthusiastic' context.

1. Having a fine, sharp cutting edge or point.
2. Having or marked by intellectual quickness and acuity. See Synonyms at sharp.
3. Acutely sensitive: a keen ear.
4. Sharp; vivid; strong.
5. Intense; piercing: a keen wind.
6. Pungent; acrid: A keen smell of skunk was left behind.
a. Ardent; enthusiastic: a keen chess player.
b. Eagerly desirous: keen on going to Europe in the spring.
8. Slang. Great; splendid; fine: What a keen day!

9. A loud, wailing lament for the dead. o-o

Hmm...
Last edited by Kirb on Mon May 23, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Image Best Compliment: MrBob: "Kirb may suck, but at least he isn't annoying."
Kirb
A BUSINESSSS MAAAAAAAAANNNNNN

Postby Risky on Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm

http://guide.keenspace.com/images/banners/1162.gif
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby Ghastly on Mon May 23, 2005 8:46 pm

KODAMA wrote:I really like whizspace XD haha, or deftspace, quickspace, sharpspace, brightspace... and maybe savvyspace? XD we could go with "livespace" but then livejournal may try to kick 'space's ass legally.

Well since unregistered trademarks are still legally protected trademarks under US law I'd say right now we have to worry more about legal action from the other Toonspace... you know the one that was using the trademark first than we do about livejournal at the moment.

I guess Keen's great strategy was to avoid brand confusion by using the exact same trademark that some body else was already using.

You'd think one of the fab four would have been familiar with a little internet tool called GOOGLE by now. I hear it's quite popular for seeking out information. It's how I found out inkspace was already a trademark for another company.
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Mon May 23, 2005 8:48 pm

Risky wrote:
http://guide.keenspace.com/images/banners/1162.gif

You're supposed to be drawn in by her eyes and mysterious smile.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby KODAMA on Mon May 23, 2005 8:54 pm

Ghastly wrote:
KODAMA wrote:I really like whizspace XD haha, or deftspace, quickspace, sharpspace, brightspace... and maybe savvyspace? XD we could go with "livespace" but then livejournal may try to kick 'space's ass legally.

Well since unregistered trademarks are still legally protected trademarks under US law I'd say right now we have to worry more about legal action from the other Toonspace... you know the one that was using the trademark first than we do about livejournal at the moment.

I guess Keen's great strategy was to avoid brand confusion by using the exact same trademark that some body else was already using.

You'd think one of the fab four would have been familiar with a little internet tool called GOOGLE by now. I hear it's quite popular for seeking out information. It's how I found out inkspace was already a trademark for another company.

Do catchphrases count too?

http://www.toonartspot.com/
"Your own toon space"
Last edited by KODAMA on Mon May 23, 2005 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KODAMA
Spodama Mon

Postby [AlmightyPyro] on Mon May 23, 2005 8:55 pm

When did this happen?!?!

how could I miss this?? TOONSpace?! Wha... aah... psh...

So does that mean that Keenland will now become TOONland?! that HASSED to be a rip of something!...

I feel so, excluded...

*closes The Box flaps and cries*
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ghastly on Mon May 23, 2005 9:00 pm

KODAMA wrote:Do catchphrases count too?

http://www.toonartspot.com/artists.htm
"Your own toon space"

Company slogans are trademarked too. Although toonartspot.com would likely not win a judgement Toonspace, if they decided to sue, would definetly win a judgement because Keen stole their exact name. There's not much room left for interpretation there.
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Archives